You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 12-08-08 14:13:57

samds
Verified Member
Website

How many driving instructors

How many driving instructors have you had?

Why did you change instructor?

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

12-08-08 14:13:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: How many driving instructors

#2 14-08-08 22:07:21

iwanadrive

I've had three instructors, one who just wasn't doing anything with me and dragged everything out.  The second one kept shouting at me, he only lasted two two hour lessons i hasten to add, no one gets away with shouting at me.  The third one is the one i have at the mo, he's great and we work well together.

#3 18-08-08 17:53:05

dog
Verified Member

I didn't see the point of having more than 1.

#4 18-08-08 18:02:00

DEE

Hiya

I had 3 driving instructors

My 1st one was brilliant...never shouted and we are good friends even now after passing nearly 2 yrs ago. Its just a shame that he retired the day of my 2nd fail. btw he was the 1st person I told when I did pass even before my hubby  :oops:

My 2nd instructor was ok but I didnt like her car at all a C3...couldnt do the manouvers (sp) in it and she didnt do anything to help and with only 2 weeks to go till my next test I NEEDED to do the manouvers

so onto ADI no 3

Mick was lovely
A lovely man and I passed with him

Dee

THEORY PASSED 1ST TIME...20 JULY
PASSED 14 DEC 10 MINORS!!!!!
IF I CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
SUCCESS COMES IN A CAN NOT A CANNOT!!!!
event.png

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 20-08-08 07:57:39

ExAdiNigel

I didn't see the point of having more than 1.

Any learner that doesn't feel the instructor they have is the right one for them then it is important that they change to another.  No one is going to learn very quickly if they don't get on with their instructor.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#6 20-08-08 10:41:06

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I would like to support Nigel's comment - why stay with an instructor if you don't get on with each other?
Not getting on with an instructor doesn't necessarily mean a bad instructor or even a pupil, sometimes it does but often the problem is that the you two simply don't "click". (It's late at night and I'm struggling for the right words).

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#7 20-08-08 12:00:04

samds
Verified Member
Website

It's a shame there has only been 11 votes, thanks guys, but 253 views. 
No doubt by instructors interested in learners opinions, come on give us some feedback.

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#8 20-08-08 17:26:16

koolchick

I had 4 and could of been 5 if I hadn't passed when I did.

1st ADI I was with 8 month til she stopped me having lessons til I'd been to opticians so I half heartedly decided to ask on another forum about good ADIs in my area and an ADI replied so I decided to try lessons with him which was great but he retired after my 3rd test so I had no choice but find another ADI.

3rd ADI was similar to 2nd one and very encouraging I failed 4th test with him he looked dissapointed when I failed he went on holiday for nearly 3 week after my test then I only had a few lessons with him before he had to take time off due to personal reasos so I got put with another ADI in same school as him. This was about 2 week before my test date 1st few lessons went ok with 4th ADI but on the last day I could cancel test he decided I was no where near test standard and picked as many mistakes as possible with my driving but I decided to not cancel my test as my ADI already thought it was too late and I felt ready. The few days before my test dragged I just wanted it over as I was not enjoying lessons with this new ADI but had to stay with him or lose my test fee which I couldn't afford. I already decided no matter what happened on test day I would not be having more lessons with this ADI even if it meant finding another ADI rather than having chance of going back with the ADI I had for 4th test. Anyway I ended up passing 5th time.

#9 21-08-08 22:34:09

Stacy

I had three driving instructors - but overall 2, as I only tried his car - and didnt like it - so I left.
They was ok, but personality crashes mainly. Now learning myself with the rents.

#10 27-08-08 17:34:54

Leprechaun

I had 2 instructors i made the mistake of block booking 11 lessons with an instructor i'd never met - i think i spent from lesson 2/3-11 hating every minute of my driving lessons. During this time my friend was also learning to drive with another ADI and kept raving about how nice / calm / patient etc she was and all the time i'm feeling worse wishing i was learning with her. Towards the end of my 11 lessons with ADI no.1 i rang the other one to see if she could fit me in. As soon as i'd had a lesson or two with her i felt so much more comfortable and wished i hadn't wasted however much i gave the other bloke

I had 52 lessons with Collette and loved most of them. With the first bloke after most lessons i felt like crying, with Collette that only happened once or twice - and not because of anything she'd done, because i was annoyed with stuff i'd done myself and knew i could do better.

Happily i passed 1st time with Collette with only 2 driver faults.

Co-incidentally she was also one of the cheapest in the area but that was not a consideration when i was deciding to change to her!

#11 27-10-08 08:53:49

Bern Roberts
Verified Member
Website

I'd like to just make a point about pupil's perception during lessons. I often have pupils tell me "my last instructor shouted at me". I can't believe that there are that many instructors who shout. Sometimes instructors need to change the tone of their voice in order to get through to pupils. Example: Approaching end of the road and despite early instruction, the pupil is still not braking hard enough. The instructor may well raise their voice to a more urgent tone to get the pupil to respond. If they quietly said  "more brake, more brake" the pupil probably wouldn't even realise they'd spoken smile Very often the instructor is nowhere near shouting, it is just the pupils perception.

I'm constantly amazed that so many people have several instructors, and I feel that it shows that people don't view our industry as a body of professionals, but merely as a service to get them through their test. They feel they are being held back by their instructor, when often in reality they just haven't become competent enough to take the test. Just a case of more practice required.

#12 27-10-08 09:48:08

Tracey89

Im on my forth instructor, the 1st one i had shouted at me most the time and put me down for everything i did  sad. the 2nd guy i had was good but then retired, i then chose a lady instructor when i was at my old house i did one test with her which i failed, i then moved house and have had to change instructors because of the distance and the guy i have now is briliant he has taught my sister and my sisteres boyfriend when he was younger so its all good now.

XxTJxX

xX.:Can we bring yesterday back around coz I know how I feel about you now....:.xX

*Theory Tessed passed on 20/06/08 - Questions: 48/50 & H&P: 51/75*

#13 27-10-08 09:54:41

iwanadrive

That may be the case on some occassions Bern, but i can assure you i know the difference between my instructor changing the tone of his voice and deliberately shouting at me.  My instructor shouted at me for putting the handbrake on whilst we were waiting at traffic lights and then later when i didn't put it on whilst we were in traffic lights he then shouted at me.  In fact, he put my driving back, because after just a few lessons with him, i was too scared to do anything.

People change instructors for many reasons, some may not view it as a professional body and just a way of getting through the test, however you also have to look at the fact that not all instructors are professional.

#14 04-11-08 18:47:42

Bern Roberts
Verified Member
Website

I guess I hear a lot of these stories from people, and just find it amazing that so many instructors do this. I suppose there are a lot of PDI's round my way, who may not be cut out for the job, but even so. I appreciate that not all instructors are professional, it just annoys me that because of a few irresponsible people (instructors included) that the general public have a low opinion of this industry.

#15 03-01-09 14:49:32

Smokey
Verified Member

I could not agree more with Bern Roberts, often the voice needs to be raised to get the message across. Time and time again I have had pupils come from other instructors that I know and know that they are not shouters to be told that they shouted at them. Pupils are often not aware of the danger that they are putting them self’s or other road user in and see a raised voice as shouting. While most Instructors want to give a feel good factor in lessons some times a point needs to be made. If you feel you have been shouted at and you can not work out why, ask why. If you have had more than one instructor shout at you is it possible that there might be a good reason for it?
There is always going to be conflict with personalities, but all registered ADI’s have to meet a set standard and are not going to stay in business long if they shout needlessly.

#16 03-01-09 16:32:49

scannermanh
Verified Member

One of the skills an ADI needs is to read a pupil, not just
once but all the time. Different pupils respond differently
to situations and we need to be able to use all the tools
available to achieve a result including raising our voice
slightly to add emphasis.
Have had times, when after repeated faults through lack
of effort or concentration, when I know they can achieve
the correct result, have pulled up for a stern talk.
A couple have objected (me not reading them well enough)
and have lost them, but most pull there socks up, achieve
the desired result and we have larfed about it afterwards.
Remember the sooner you attain the necessary skills, the
less its gonna cost you, the sooner you pass.
Seems to be a lot of retiring instructors out there, wonder
what made them retire just then, or could it be a way of
unloading a pupil they didn't want to teach anymore. wink

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#17 17-01-09 16:09:33

Veteran Phil
Verified Member

smile Its also worth remembering that some pupils think they are a lot better at driving than they actually are.
      Some pupils are not very pleasant and can be a real pain to deal with. Some pupils think they know it all and are ready for test, when they still cannot steer in a straight line!
      Instructors often dump pupils, it works both ways!
      I know i sometimes breathe a sigh of relief when a problem pupil doesnt turn up for their lesson, its a good way to part company.
      Cheers Phil...

#18 26-01-09 09:00:33

walsh
Verified Member

Well I've had a few pupils tell me they we're shouted at. No one but said pupil and instructor really knows what goes on in a car.

But it must be fairly easy to trick the dsa into thinking you behave professionally when you don't. A ct isn't long.

I do however understand why a voice would be raised. But I'm guessing in a lot of cases it's more than raised or why so many complaints?

Personally if I feel in danger I'll use the brakes without shouting and then explain why.

I certainly don't class myself as a good instructor but am always willing to learn. I do have 33 pupils on my books at this moment in time and work 7 days a week, so poor or not I must be doing something right.

#19 26-01-09 11:49:17

Aspyre

using a stern voice isnt shouting. if one of my pupils takes eyes off the road and starts to veer to the kerb at 60mph and does it to often for my confort  i will use a voice that is making clear theres a problem.
you may peraps over years have ocasional pupils who dont like it, but id prefer those to ones who leave becuse they "arent geting anywhere". that is a much more common complaint i hear from new pupils..
instru=ctors dont all have to sojund like bob harris from the old grey whistle test 24 hours a day.

Board footer