You are not logged in.

#1 15-07-08 09:43:00

robertjones207
Verified Member

Bank Account

Hi all.

I am looking for some advise.

If you are Self Employed do you need to have a business account or can you use a standard account. ?

I know it sounds a stupid question but it was something i was thinking about

Cheers

Robert

15-07-08 09:43:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Bank Account

#2 15-07-08 09:55:36

driverpete
Verified Member

I use a Nationwide Flex account; just an ordinary personal account but only use it for the business.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 15-07-08 13:47:06

Target
Verified Member
Website

Some banks are a little iffy about it. I occasionally get looks from the cashier when Im bagging alot of cash but they have never questioned it.

Whilst I have a business account its mainly if someone pays cheques for Target Tuition, and it looks good for certain cheque writings to have a business account, ie Charity Cheques that kind of thing.

Ive not managed to solely use the business account - and use it how I intended which was to hold business payments and keep everything separate - its a mined field seeing a payment to Renault then Sainsburys Shopping along side that. Basically I do not earn enough money to keep it separate, but thats another storey.

Its not essential thou. Just dont tell the bank. Or try Abbey Nat they do it for free and very good service.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#4 15-07-08 16:46:58

HereComesTrouble

For business you must have a business bank account. Ideally you want two, one should be an interest paying deposit account. ALL monies paid in advanced should be kept in the deposit account until they have a lesson, then transfer the appropriate proportion to the business acoount. If you need to refund, ALWAYS refund by cheque so you have proof of doing so.

Keep all receipts for all transactions to do with the business, clothes, petrol/diesel, tyres, car wash etc.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 15-07-08 17:29:55

robertjones207
Verified Member

For business you must have a business bank account. Ideally you want two, one should be an interest paying deposit account. ALL monies paid in advanced should be kept in the deposit account until they have a lesson, then transfer the appropriate proportion to the business acoount. If you need to refund, ALWAYS refund by cheque so you have proof of doing so.

Keep all receipts for all transactions to do with the business, clothes, petrol/diesel, tyres, car wash etc.

Cheers.

Does a business account not charge you for transactions ??

#6 15-07-08 19:56:51

Target
Verified Member
Website

Does a business account not charge you for transactions ??

As I say...Abbey is free within certain restrictions but I cannot see an independent instructor going over those restrictions.

Pop inside and ask for a prospectus.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#7 15-07-08 20:12:25

samds
Verified Member
Website

There's nothing to say that a sole trader has to have a business account.  My advice would be to have an account where you do all personal banking and one where you can keep business cash and any direct debits.  As Target mentioned the Abbey business account offers free banking and I've used it for around 10 years.  Business call centre is UK based and they're good to deal with.  Downside is that they still charge silly money for bank charges and overdrafts. 
They insist that you deposit cash through the machine and not over the counter but if you don't inform the teller it's a business account they never bother. Business account is good for cheques made out to the business name.  Abbey personal banking is awful!!

If you want a simple personal account with UK based call centre, low bank charges and excellent online services try out
Clydesdale Bank.

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#8 15-07-08 21:05:02

Rockin
Verified Member

I don't use a business account and have operated happily for over 6 years. Just keep your accounts up to date and keep all receipts. I do my accounts on a spreedsheet then give this to my accountant at the end of the year.  Remember you are self employed so all money earned is yours not your business, so why have a business account.

#9 15-07-08 21:35:43

robertjones207
Verified Member

This is what i wasn't sure about. As shown on here there are people who do use business accounts and some that don't. I wasn't sure if using one would make it easier at the end of the year.

Can i ask to the people that don't use a business account, What do you do if a pupil wants to pay by cheque in your driving schools name ??

#10 15-07-08 21:50:26

Target
Verified Member
Website

If I could answer that last question.

Most my pupils write the cheques out whilst im in the car. Its easier for me to have cheques in my own name, I pay the bills on my current account.

However, writing on my paperwork....Please pay Target Tuition looks more professional than Please pay Keith Hepburn.

I do not believe you need a business account, just good records. Ive been trying to keep mine separate but in a sense the very idea will actually cause confusion.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#11 16-07-08 08:20:39

HereComesTrouble

I can understand everyone's views on this, but at the end of the day you need to seperate your business and private matters. Any accountant will advise you to have a business account. I have NEVER paid business bank charges and have been self emplyed for 26 years. I move banks every 2 years or so, as soon as the free banking offer runs out.

In any event, bank charges are tax deductable!

There is no legal requirement, you are right. But having it seperate makes accounting and any tax office investigation (should you ever get that) much easier as everything in that accounbt relates solely to the business and is easily audited.

#12 16-07-08 09:18:28

robertjones207
Verified Member

Is moving your account every two or so years not a pain in the backside to do. Why do banks charge business account for simple day to day banking ?

#13 16-07-08 15:07:51

HereComesTrouble

Moving banks is no hassle at all. Couple of forms, couple of signatures. Job done.

Banks charge business for the simple reason that they can! This is one of many ways of making money for them. Bear in mind that a lot of business people rely heavily on bank support in the form of loans, overdrafts etc. The banks simply cash in on this dependence.

When I give my books to my account each year he always says the same thing: Oh, yours is easy. Why? Because everything is in order. All fuel receipts are in exact order per day, each month clipped together. All other receipts are done by supplier in chronological order. Bank statements run smoothly because everything is obvious and seperate from my own finances, except salaries drawn from the business which are very clear.

That keeps my accounts bill down to £120 a year! (which is tax eductable)

#14 16-07-08 19:26:13

Rockin
Verified Member

If you are self employed and your only income is from driving tuition whats the point. My accountant is happy with my accounts and if I accept a cheque I have them paid out to me by name no one has ever thought it unprofesional. I give a reciept and everyone is happy.

#15 17-07-08 08:15:51

HereComesTrouble

You just hit it on the head. My income is not solely from driving tuition. I sell books, DVD's and a host of other extra's as a driving instructor.

#16 17-07-08 10:11:10

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Accountants, customers and you may find it fine working with a personal account, but if you speak to the banks they will usually reserve the right to stop a personal account if it is being used for business purposes.

While the account runs smoothly with a limited amount of trouble they usually turn a blind eye to it, but if you need to organise overdrafts or want charges cancelling then they may refuse you.

I've just started the Abbey account for my business and I wish I had done it years ago as it means that all of my business dealings are done through the company name. More professional and very simple to set up.

#17 17-07-08 21:15:58

kaf
Verified Member
Website

All seems very complicated.

I have an offset mortgage account with First Direct, all our personal accounts are joint including our cheque accounts, for the business side I set up a new cheque account in my name only, all the direct debits, debit card payments and cheques as well as income goes through this account. The balance in this account does not earn interest but offsets my mortgage interest so I effectively gey 5.4% interest that is tax free.

#18 03-08-08 16:27:52

spyder_steve
Verified Member
Website

I run a Natwest account and an ISA
I put a small portion away into the ISA every month for Tax at the end of the year, thats if there is any.

As explained earlier its best to have a personell account and a buisness acount seperate, just use open a "Normal account" and pretend its a buisness account, i did do a little research into this and your not obligated to have an buisness account, I believe this was because the earnings was under a certain amount, something silly like £45K per year.. do Instructors earn that much ? lol

If the account should query about transactions in the back simply show them the statement, problems can occur I got told if theres silly transactions like "sainsburys, Mcdonalds, Private messarge's ;-)" etc

If the bank kicks up a stink, deny it, sure there's some private act on this if they should enquiry about it, I get paid Cash, and only 1 student pays by cheque, I also got told that if you opened a buisness acoount you get charged for banking/writing cheques.

Grade: B
Sign language Specialist (BSL 1, 2 and pre level 3)

#19 03-08-08 20:20:37

HereComesTrouble

I think peoples lack of understanding that you are in fact in breach of the banks conditions of use by using a private account for business and can be prosecuted for fraudulantly obtaining an account to use for business!

ANyone ever gets caught, I TOLD YOU SO! 1.gif

Board footer