You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 30-07-08 05:58:38

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

First Check Test - Help!

I've got my first check test coming-up soon! I'm thinking about covering Awareness & Anticipation when driving on rural roads & country lanes. I have been planning & practising the route and I've got the timing just about right, but I need more in the way of talking/learning points. At the moment there are periods of relative silence! There's only so much that you can say about awareness of, and anticipating road conditions, dead ground, pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders, farm machinery, safe cornering speed (limit point) etc. I have selected a 17 year old female pupil, she is very bright, a very fast learner and an excellent communicator. She has only done 17 hours, but you would think she had done 40 hours! She will make mistakes, but I don't anticipate very many. Any comments or suggestions on how I can better use the time and make this a really good learning experience for her? Your help would be much appreciated.

Colin Kentish
Grade 6 DSA Approved Driving Instructor (car)
www.colinkentish.co.uk

Dream as if you'll live for ever
Live as if you'll die today

30-07-08 05:58:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: First Check Test - Help!

#2 30-07-08 07:00:52

evanadi

Hi collywobs you say that you are planning the route etc and have the timing just about right. What you are doing is a rehearsed lesson, which could get you into problems.

What if the chosen pupil is ill on the day of the test, or something crops up that you haven't rehearsed. Can you speculate what a new pupil will be learning in 6 weeks time? not really I think because they are all different.

I would be more inclined to plan your check test lesson from the last lesson you have with the pupil you choose. It will be easier to follow on and both you and the pupil will feel more natural doing the lesson.

Make sure you involve the pupil as much as possible in the pre-check test introductions. Take them into the TC to meet the SE don't leave them sitting in the car, their nerves will start going, and they may start to crack. Keep the lesson as normal as possible, don't use jargon that you don't usually use. Take in your pupils record to show where they are on the syllabus, and explain why you are teaching the lesson you have in mind. If there is a chronological continuation to the lesson you are teaching then all should go well.

Hope that helps a bit. Ev

#3 30-07-08 07:05:15

FRANKS
Verified Member

Sorry Collywobs, you're going into your check test completely wrong, you are staging it, there will be a good chance that your pupil will learn nothing.

All you need to do for your check test is exactly what you're doing with your pupil no matter what that is. Your pupil will act more natural, if pupil is due an awareness and anticipation lesson fine but it should follow on from her last lesson. As far as you're concerned, do what you do on a normal lesson no more and no less, and yes you will still have nerves, that's normal.

If you look on this forum you'll fine loads of excellent advise ion Check tests, do a search.

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#4 30-07-08 07:57:29

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the advice, but I have to disagree. I'm not trying to stage the check test, I haven't been taking my pupil on the timing runs, just planning a normal lesson involving rural roads & country lanes, which is the subject we were going to be covering next, it just happens to be a check test lesson! My pupil has never driven rural roads & country lanes, so it will be a new experience and there's loads for her to learn. How can this possibly be wrong?

Colin Kentish
www.colinkentish.co.uk

#5 30-07-08 09:24:25

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Colly
Ignore the posts above! Give me your e-mail if you want a little presentation on the subject above. Good subject and good for learning!

Do it, instructors doing 'normal lessons' get crap grades! A planned normal lesson such as above is excellent

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 30-07-08 11:59:36

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

At the moment there are periods of relative silence!

Not a problem. Just depends what precedes that silence.

And don't ignore any advice, just take the useful parts from it  wink

Plenty of instructors do "normal lessons" and get good grades. At the same time some try too hard and end up stuffing things up. Just relax and teach your pupil as you normally would.

BTW planning and anticipation is one of the best subjects for check test, tends to keep you busy  wink

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#7 30-07-08 12:07:10

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Hector,

I have sent you a PM

Colin

Colin Kentish
www.colinkentish.co.uk

#8 30-07-08 19:39:28

evanadi

''Do it, instructors doing 'normal lessons' get crap grades! A planned normal lesson such as above is excellent''

So do a lesson that doesn't necessarily follow where the pupil is in the syllabus.......Hmm thought the whole point of the check test was to show a planned normal lesson as natural as possible. Sorry collywobs for misleanding you.

Ah well you live and learn. Ev

#9 31-07-08 16:38:10

hector
Verified Member
Website

evan not like you to be so serious..........

On check tests you need to play the DSA game!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#10 31-07-08 23:28:54

shelim
Verified Member

Hi Everyone

This is the first time I'm making a comment here which I think is going to be very useful to collywebs. I had done my first check test about 4 weeks ago, for my check test I took a lad who was 17 and only had 4 hours of training. He was a bright lad so he picked up how to move off / stopping very quickly also his left / right turn was OK but not brilliant, So for my check test I chose to do Turn in the road because we did lot of hill start this lad did not have any problem with clutch control so we did 2 go's at T/R and moved on to left/right turning at junction which was hard work, Because I took someone very new to learning I could not stop talking. When we returned to the test centre SE was impressed with me his debrief was about 30 second and graded me 5 which made me very happy

So my advice is don't take anyone who doesn't need much help from you also don't take anyone who doesn't talk when asking question. Take someone who need your help with driving. Also I agree that you need to plan your lesson and routes but no need to keep practising same routes because traffic situation could change. and one more thing if there is a hills make sure you mention extra weight in the car.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 01-08-08 08:10:46

evanadi

evan not like you to be so serious..........

On check tests you need to play the DSA game!

Hi Nigel, agreed you do have to play the DSA game, but I am aware of some local ADI's who have got low grades at check test, because they have rehearsed the route and the lesson with the elected pupil before the check test. So it can go the other way as well. Ev

#12 01-08-08 19:31:36

hector
Verified Member
Website

They need to come to me for acting lessons then!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#13 06-08-08 22:23:17

Manda
Verified Member

Hi

Had my first check test yesterday and read far too much into it!  Opted for "role play", I'd always decided to go for this, as a year ago I didn't have any pupils to take!!  Invite arrived and date was well over my 12 months so I had to be graded.  Had some training with the chap I initially trained with which has been invaluable!  Got a grade 4, relieved it's not less, but hindsight is a very good thing and I could have done so much more, the examiner said it could have easily been 5 or 6, it was an excellent debrief and a good foundation to build upon!!  I'm due 2 weeks leave and then I'm back with avengence!!  Looking forward now to my next check test!  I know what I could and should have done!, it won't happen with my pupils.  Visited the TC today and comments were made as "role play hasn't been chosen for years!!".  Whatever you chose, it's a "quality assurance test of your teaching".  I wanted it and needed to see what I was doing wrong, what I could improve and what I was good at!!

Go for it!! Manda smile

#14 13-08-08 16:14:36

onmyown
Verified Member

shelim
I like your post a lot and to me it makes a lot of sense, and to you also, or you would not have written it.
ANYONE DISAGREE?

#15 15-02-10 10:58:22

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

I've never been check-tested yet and so I read this thread with great interest.  Particularly the "just do a normal lesson"  versus  "create and rehearse a special check-test lesson"  debate.

Forgive my ignorance here - only qualified in Sep '09.   But surely it makes a mockery of the system to plan a special lesson.  To me, if the DSA want to see what my abilities are like, it should just be a case of the examiner hopping in the back and coming along for the ride.  I should lose no sleep, nor spend hours planning a special lesson.  And it should also make no difference what stage the pupil as at, or whether they are a good communicator or not.

As a result, the examiner would witness a completely normal lesson, following on naturally from the pupils previous lesson.  And then surely I should get a decent mark if the lesson is structured correctly, i demo I.A.R., and the pupil learns something.....   Or am I being too simplistic?

pupil learns  pecechuoIf the pupil learns something, and rhe pMy mark should

Paul Cook, ADI, Grade 5, DIAmond Special Test

#16 15-02-10 15:12:56

Aspyre

Catch-22 Paul.

What you say makes perfect sense.............. but try telling it to some one who thinks they will get kicked off the register and isn't confident in what they do if they don't have a good CT tongue

Not sure what that last sentence means..... did your cat get on the keyboard?? tongue

#17 15-02-10 15:36:16

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for your reply (yes, the cat pretty much did get on the keyboard).

I'm sort of reassured.........  Unless any of you ADIs on this forum disagree, I'll continue just trying to give a quality lesson every day, using I.A.R.   Sort of a "business as usual" approach.    It just seems that ADIs build the check test up to be this big thing, requiring a one-off / contrived "super-lesson".  To me that shouldn't be what the DSA require.

Hope I'm not being niave....... 

#18 15-02-10 16:25:49

Aspyre

No.. Absolutely not.

I can promise you that if you do a normal lesson and do it well you can easily get a good grade....... and thats from personal experience.

That "can" is important...... because it depends on you....... but its better to depend for your grade on something you do day-to-day instead of something you are trying to do as a performance.

#19 15-02-10 16:29:09

Aspyre

Just to add...... if you take a ppl who doesn't do much wrong you aren't going to get slated for it if you don't have to do much but likewise it would be hard to get a top grade.

If you take a ppl take one you know you have to teach (train, coach, tutor, whatever) when on  a usual lesson.

Get yourself broken into a sweat and if you can handle it you are looking good.

#20 17-02-10 08:07:14

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Aspyre, sounds like good advice.

#21 20-02-10 10:57:42

herdriv1
Website

Got mine coming up soon. Some good advice here. Thanx to everyone who contributed. Will let you know how it went after the event.

Board footer