You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 20-07-08 10:41:50

DampDog
Verified Member

Born before 1986?

FOR THOSE BORN BEFORE 1986

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and
fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels. As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags - riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.

We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms.

We had friends - we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt!

We fell out of trees, got cut, and broke bones but there were no law suits.

We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents.

We played chap-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.

We walked to friends' homes.
We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on
mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and
problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them. Congratulations!

Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.

For those of you who aren't old enough, thought you might like to read about us.

This my friends, is surprisingly frightening......and it might put a
smile on your face:

The majority of students in universities today were born in 1986
....They are called youth.

They have never heard of We are the World, We are the children, and the Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel. They have never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Nena Cherry or Belinda Carlisle.

For them, there has always been only one Germany and one Vietnam.

AIDS has existed since they were born. CD's have existed since they were born.

Michael Jackson has always been white.

To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance.

They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are films from last year.

They can never imagine life before computers.

They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, RedHand Gang or the Famous Five.

They'll never have applied to be on Jim'll Fix It or Why Don't You.

They can't believe a black and white television ever existed. And they will never understand how we could leave the housewithout a mobile phone.

Now let's check if we're getting old...

1. You understand what was written above and you smile.

2. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.

3. Your friends are getting married/already married.

4. You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with computers.

5. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your head.

6. You recall watching Dirty Den in EastEnders the first time around.

7. You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the good old days, repeating again all the funny things you have experienced together.

8. Having read this, you are thinking of sending it to some other
friends because you think they will like it too... Yes, you're getting old!!

This may have been posted before! What the hey I'm old I forget stuff...

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

20-07-08 10:41:50

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Born before 1986?

#2 20-07-08 11:27:56

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

You've forgotten my favorite TV show Doctor Who (in black & White) I used to hide behind the sofa when I heard the music. smile

Excuse me while I change my glasses & find my wig my grandchildren have just called.

Oh for the days when people young & old respected each other & greeted each other with a smile not a snarl.

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#3 20-07-08 19:38:55

KevB
Verified Member
Website

And those kids of today......are the offspring of those born in the 60's 70's and 80's.

So we aint that great a generation afterall.

#4 21-07-08 21:17:45

jackie99100

That put a smile on my face,and for your information oracle ADI, i HAVE 2 GREAT KIDS,who respect there elders and are both doing really well at school they are in at a decent hour and do what they are told so here's a big thumbs up to me, i brought my children up well and i was born in the 60's so it is just a minority of the children today that are scum so you did not have to put a damper on this post (thankyou,)

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts

#5 21-07-08 23:42:42

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Miss D, congrats and well done on being a caring parent smile

I did say a collective  "we", including myself, who just so happens to be childless.

I notice you comment defensively on the one post regarding our generation, and yet are happy to smile at the posts commenting on the yoooof of today.

My grandparents expressed dismay at the antics of the youths during the 50's and 60's. (Their own kids age groups). all those rough rock and rollers.

My parents commented about the "free sex brigade" and pot smoking tree huggers of the early 70's and the "criminally violent" punks and skins of the late '70's.

I think it is our right as being of parenting age to be able to moan about the hoody wearing, knife carrying and lawless yooof of today.

But each generation moans about the next generation that THEY actually parented, apparently without too much guilt about that lol.

I personally think kids of today are no different real;ly than those of my time, and probably no different to my parents time.

Kids are always bored, never have anything to do, are hard done by and suffer over bearing parents........no matter which era we are discussing.

#6 26-07-08 12:13:18

madison

What a great post! Brings back so many wonderful memories and has also made me quite tearful.

Thanks for posting xx

#7 26-07-08 12:36:52

Luchell
Verified Member

Always makes me think of my gorgeous niece, if she goes near my mums dogs/cats she gets told to step away because animals are dirty  lol lol

Whilst i appreciate my niece being shielded from yucky stuff i also feel a bit sad for her to. Her father (My little brother) and I were always bought up around animals and we loved it and learnt so much!! We had many rabbits and guinea pigs, one rabbit when i was two thought my finger was a carrot and ermmmm well it ate it  yikes lol lol  Dad luckily got the bit of finger out the bunnies mouth and took it with me to the hospital where they re attached it  lol Dad was fuming, and i mean fuming!! He took the bunny and dumped it in the middle of the downs where he said a happy good riddance to the evil bunny. Later that night with me sat looking at my giant bandage containing my newly attached finger he became filled with guilt. My godfather and Dad went back to where the evil bunny was left and found it sat in exactly the same place he left it in! He suddenly got filled with guilt Incas it became a foxes din dins!!!!!! Half hour later it was back in it's hutch looking none the wiser from it's fun day out!  lol

We also had three ducks, and other ducks in a rather large pen surrounding by more bunnies and guinea pigs, a hamster or two over the years made an appearance along with 30 odd baby hamster's thanks to the pet shop getting the Russian hamsters sex wrong yikes  Dogs cats fish etc. We dug up the nicely presented garden to make and eat mud pies topped with worm's yikes lol Oh and i remember when dad found an adder in our giant greenhouse i remember a scene i can only describe as what seemed like a scene out of the simpsons with homer running up and down screaming RUNNNNNNNNNNN  whilst the nasty adder snaked across the greenhouse at about a foot every 5 minutes with dad still running round   roll :evil:

Not forgetting the rather large trout in the stream who became affectionately known as 'George'. Dad told my brother to go and have a little go at fishing in our stream, so off he went, Dad wandered by and told my little brother if he managed to catch a fish dad would give him ten pounds  yikes (Knowing full well of course my brother was never going to catch a real fish in there as he had nothing he could really catch them with that would work) Except Dad was wrong........ Into the stream stepped my little brother where nearby a hugeee and i mean huge trout was swimming. My brother popped his hands into the water lifted the giant trout out and put it in his bucket. He then took it in to showDad whose face was a picture when he realised he was now ten pounds poorer  yikes

Thing is that trout 'George' was very old, blind in one eye and became more of a pet in the long run since as he was always there in the same place everyday, Dad never mentioned fishing to my brother again  lol

#8 27-07-08 12:26:20

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the great post - but why 1986?
I feel so O-O-O-L-D! Aaarrgh !!

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 27-07-08 14:15:46

DampDog
Verified Member

Dunno, I just found it and forwarded it. Made me smile.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 28-07-08 14:58:27

Leprechaun

I feel so O-O-O-L-D! Aaarrgh !!

I was made to feel really old yesterday when my friends were talking about the year they were 11 - i was just embarking on university yikes

Board footer