You are not logged in.

#1 26-06-08 10:56:15

adi dave
Verified Member

Problems with checktests

Does anyone have a problem with the 'falseness' of the test.
It is meant to be a 'normal' lesson. But you have to drive to the test centre with your pupil, for maybe (in my case 45mins), and then pretend to start the lesson again for the checktest.
I would normally talk about football, holidays etc,and do some theory work on each lesson, but I can't do that easily on a checktest.
I don't get nervous on lessons.
how many ADI's do the same amout of recapping, on a lesson, compared to a checktest.
etc.
etc.
You can't treat it as a normal lesson!

26-06-08 10:56:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Problems with checktests

#2 26-06-08 14:54:52

FRANKS
Verified Member

Hi adi dave,

You do exactly like you would on a normal lesson, talk about football, holidays etc as long as it's not stopping your pupiul learning and getting there moneys worth. These things help relax pupils, you need to be human!!

It's normal to get nerves on CT, after al it's a test, now you know how your pupils feel when they go in for there driving test, you should never forget how those nerves feel, makes you a better instructor being able to understand what your pupils are going through.

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#3 26-06-08 16:36:12

adi dave
Verified Member

You make it sound so easy!!

#4 29-06-08 15:30:08

HereComesTrouble

I use the SEADI for my check test - role play. Gives me the chance to teach him how to do his job properly. OK, gives me the chance to show him I really am that good.

IF and I do stress IF I was ever tempted (which is 10000000% not going to happen) to use a pupil on a check test, I would do exactly what I normally do. Chat a lot of bow locks at the beginning about tescos, the weather or whatever. Then get straight into the recap, brief and away we go as normal. NOTHING different at all.

When I did my check test in March, I did absolutely ZERO preparation. I just turned up and told the SEADI that we were doing a TITR and that was that. Got the word picture, did some Q&A as I would with any pupil I hadn't seen before, confirmed it was ok to assume I had checked his eyesight and seen his license, and off we went with the briefing and job done. Grade 5 was good enough for me. Yes I would like a 6 and will get a 6 next time, but I really was just after getting it done and on to my first actual lesson of the day.

SEADI commented that I was the most relaxed he had seen an ADI on check test and that it helped a lot. He 'felt' I treated him like a pupil - which is EXACTLY what you do.

You are only as good as your last or next lesson. If you have a bad 'lesson' with the SEADI, tell them! Don't be afraid to admit you didn't explain this or that well, then recover the point better. Again, just like a real pupil.

So, why do I use the known and predicatble role play and not an unpredictable, unreliable, inconsistent and totally out-of-character pupil who will go to pieces on MY check test? Not sure really.

#5 30-06-08 10:58:35

adi dave
Verified Member

Thanks for info.
I have been an ADI for 15 years. My last checktest, I elected for roleplay, for something different, and got a 3!!!
Basically, coming up to a roundabout too fast, I used the duals, and said 'woo, that was a bit too quick'.
I got the 3 for 'control', as I did not mention that I had used the duals. (my thoughts were that being an experienced pupil, there would be no need to, as I wouldn't always tell my own pupils EVERY time I used the duals).
Anyway next one is Wednesday, and am taking my own pupil this time!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 30-06-08 17:09:03

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Imagine you've got an examiner in on every lesson you do between now and your check-test.

At the end of the lesson (or day if you've got a short gap) run through the check-test checklist (I think this is on the DSA website in the ADI 1?). Grade yourself for all of these things and if you are unsure (like mentioning the duals) then go with "best practice".

Yes, some customers will realise you've used them, but a nervous customer may not and may get confused because "sometimes it stops more quickly".

Plan every lesson & stick to the plan where possible, if not, come up with a new plan, with new acheivable objectives.

Customer or Roleplay doesn't make much difference, you'll be aware of the examiner and what they are doing, but just remember that they want to see the customer (or "customer") is getting value for money (i.e: learning has taken place and progress is made through the course of the lesson) and safe advice.

#7 30-06-08 18:15:49

adi dave
Verified Member

Thanks for info.

#8 01-07-08 08:23:47

HereComesTrouble

Using the duals is a last resort as you know Dave. I am sure you were right to use them, but that definitely needs mentioning even with an 'experienced pupil' because if you don't they MAY asume the car magically slows by itself when they get into bother. I know that sounds mad and probably is, but you have to cover everything by the book ALL THE TIME. There is no grey area here and not mentioning you used the duals is quiet a serious fault really.

Good luck with your new test. smile

#9 01-07-08 08:57:14

adi dave
Verified Member

Well I got a 3, so I'll know for next time.
Just for info, if i get a 3 this time, and the last one. What is the procedure, taking away the licence etc?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 01-07-08 16:46:27

samds
Verified Member
Website

Just for info, if i get a 3 this time, and the last one. What is the procedure, taking away the licence etc?

If you get a 3 second time, get some more retraining.  Have you been in touch with a trainer since the 1st attempt?

If you don't know about this website www.smartdriving.co.uk go now, join and buy the instructor guide.  It'll
give you a few quick fixes for the CT but I would reccomend you get training now.  Postpone the CT if you are not
ready.  There are plenty of well respected trainers on the forum and in the training section.  Problem is the
good ones are booked up solid so get in there quick.

Good Luck

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 01-07-08 17:49:25

VandADI
Administrator

You should be aware that as from the 1st July 2008, there have been some slight changes to the check tests.
  The DSA  now have specially trained Driving Examiners and Senior Driving Examiners conducting ADI check tests.  Therefore ADIs that fail the first two attempts with these staff will, from 1 July 2008, usually be seen by one of the DTAMs rather than an ACDE for their third check test. Those who have failed one of their check tests with a DTAM will continue to have their final attempt with an ACDE.   This procedure will therefore continue to ensure that the final check test will be conducted by a more senior officer.

Check out page 9 of June's issue of "Despatch" for the full write up.
http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/Despatc … _Final.pdf

#12 02-07-08 17:33:45

VandADI
Administrator

How did you get on Dave?

#13 02-07-08 17:43:23

adi dave
Verified Member

Got a 4.
Actually got mostly 6's, but 4's for letting pupil get too close a car at traffic lights, and me not doing a thorough blind spot check, when pulling away.

#14 02-07-08 17:47:59

VandADI
Administrator

Ah, well done on getting through! Bet you are glad it's over.
If you don't mind me asking, in your 15 years as an ADI, how many check tests have you had, and what sort of grades did you get on them?

#15 02-07-08 18:35:24

samds
Verified Member
Website

Yes, well done Dave.

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#16 02-07-08 21:32:55

adi dave
Verified Member

Thanks all

#17 03-07-08 05:40:40

FRANKS
Verified Member

adi dave,

Now you've got through the CT, don't just relax, consider more training, monitor you pupil test results and you'll see areas were you might need to brush up on.

Well done with thegrade 4 but onwards and upwards from here

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#18 03-07-08 07:27:42

adi dave
Verified Member

adi dave,

Now you've got through the CT, don't just relax, consider more training, monitor you pupil test results and you'll see areas were you might need to brush up on.

Well done with thegrade 4 but onwards and upwards from here

As I said earlier, next step is retirement. No more check tests for me!!

#19 03-07-08 07:30:16

adi dave
Verified Member

Sorry, reply didn'tcome out as expected.
Next step is retirement, no more check tests for me!!

#20 27-07-08 17:59:38

Rob1
Verified Member
Website

Hi

If opt for role play on my check test (first check test) can i choose the lesson (unlike the part three test) ?

regards

Rob

Driving Lessons  Weymouth
Http://www.countydrivertraining.com

#21 27-07-08 21:33:35

VandADI
Administrator

You can choose the subject of the lesson from the listed subjects in your check test letter.

Board footer