You are not logged in.

#1 03-06-08 03:51:58

RhiannonxXx

Mirrors

Hi,

I'm pretty satisfied with how my driving is coming on but i have one irritating habit and that's forgetting to check my mirrors when i turn. I pretty much always check on approach but i get so caught up in making sure i turn correctly, i don't check my mirror and it's such a simple thing to do.

Does anyone have any advice or tips so my bird brain remembers!

Thanks Muchly

Rhiannon x

03-06-08 03:51:58

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Mirrors

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 03-06-08 08:12:05

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

I'm a bit confused about what you mean Rhiannon.

You say you check your mirrors on approach, presumably before you signal ie MSM. Are you asking if you should be checking whilst you turn?

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#3 03-06-08 15:12:49

RhiannonxXx

Hello Tony,

Yeah, i do the MSM as usual on approach to a junction. Then when i emerge from the junction, let's say i'm turning left, as i'm turning, i usually forget to check my left mirror, or right mirror if i'm going right.

#4 03-06-08 15:21:20

Doc
Verified Member
Website

There is no need to be checking your mirrors as you are turning, only before (twice, once at the beginning of your approach and again just before turning looking out for bikes especially when turning left and when turning right anything that might have begun to overtake you) and after when onto the new road.

#5 03-06-08 15:32:22

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi Doc

I have know pupils taught to look in mirrors after entering a road as a safety check to look for problems that might have followed them into the new road or the missed on approach.

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#6 03-06-08 16:06:02

Doc
Verified Member
Website

That's included in my post Tony (the last 7 words)

#7 03-06-08 16:30:12

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Sorry I blame trying to do to many things at the same Time.

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#8 03-06-08 18:27:55

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Hi again Rhiannon

The normal procedure as you know is MSM on approach, then check mirrors again (as appropriate) after the turn. The mirror checks after turning are normally to see if there is anything behind you that you may have to deal with (for example may determine how you accelerate).

Personally (others may disagree) I wouldn't teach people to be checking their mirrors as they turn as your attention may be distracted from where your actually going.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#9 25-07-08 08:46:33

RhiannonxXx

Hi again,

So would it be a fail if i forgot to check my mirrors before i turned? I do it most of the time but have an irritating habit of forgetting  on a few occasions and it's annoying me. Especially if it's at a turn where it's busy. Does anyone have any methods they use that enable them never to forget to look in the mirrors before turning?

Cheers

#10 25-07-08 17:48:51

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Practice until it becomes habit.

Don't think signal think mirrors.

Most learners signal too soon, when your instructor says left or right that's your cue to mirror check NOT signal.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#11 25-07-08 18:41:38

RhiannonxXx

Hi Tony,

The mirrors and signal seem fine, it's that final mirror check before i actually turn. I'm going to get a cattle prod and let him jab me with it everytime i forget lol

#12 25-07-08 22:02:34

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Who are you learning with Rhiannon?

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#13 26-07-08 07:33:15

RhiannonxXx

They are called Anderby in Grimsby (i live in Louth)

#14 26-07-08 10:39:04

HereComesTrouble

Easiest way is to imagine the examiners big fat sister rides around on a moped. She WILL try to sneak down the left side at junctions, so start looking for her. Just as you are about to steer, see first. So, SEE then STEER.

Of course SHE won't be there but someone definitely will at some time, probably sooner than you think. If you check everytime, there will never be a problem.

#15 27-07-08 21:23:30

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Was just wondering who you were learning with as I assume it's your instructor who is telling you about your mirror checks.

Is your instructor actually telling you your checks are wrong or is it something that you assume is wrong?

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#16 28-07-08 01:07:00

kurtangle

Do this man, when your driving down, just look to the outside then the middle, for left.  Keep  it simple as possible outside and middle! outside and middle! ouside and middle! you get yourself in a little routine like that and try and think about it before a lesson and then your be a little better.  Thats how I do it, 50% chance it may work with you too

Passed Theory 1st time.
Passed Theory 1st time again after expiry of 1st pass.
Passed Practical 1st time with 3 minors.
Learnt to drive in a month !!!

#17 28-07-08 01:07:49

kurtangle

ooops i mean middle and outside, middle and outside middle and outside middle and outside! i kept repeating it so u may remember this post lol! MIDDLE MIRROR AND OUTSIDE! lol

Passed Theory 1st time.
Passed Theory 1st time again after expiry of 1st pass.
Passed Practical 1st time with 3 minors.
Learnt to drive in a month !!!

Board footer