You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 10-02-08 20:23:13

Target
Verified Member
Website

Training the Trainer

Im trying to get a realistic idea of what it would take in hours to become a satifactory INstructor Trainer, leading to ordit standards.

I realise its not an easy question but does someone have knowledge of previous candiates who they may have trained, or has someone trained themselves to do this course.

If I took a weeks Trainer course, am i likely to reach the required standard in such a short time. This is not my preferred option as I would possibly just like to do 2-4 hours per week for instance.

I also understand it will need alot of commitment outside of lessons.

An indication would be helpfull.....40/50/60/  100 hours?

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

10-02-08 20:23:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Training the Trainer

#2 10-02-08 20:33:46

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

not sure of the timing issue, but an option(commitment outside of lessons)could be to look for PDI's in your area and "buddy" up with them, that way both of you are gaining experience?

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#3 10-02-08 20:42:04

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Target - you know the problems with guestimating how long it will take someone to pass a test.

Do the sensible thing and go see a good trainer for a day £175-£200 for some invaluable advice - they may then suggest you do some work on your own then come back for another couple of days, a week, or you may find that it isn't for you.

Good luck with it, just beware that this market is more swamped than the learner market!

#4 10-02-08 20:54:50

Target
Verified Member
Website

Thanks

I just been looking at the other threads....Seems I asked the same question 1.5 years ago. How time flys?

Ive been in touch with a trainer via emails and he wants to meet before giving an answer.

Im keen to improve.Initially ill probalby look at improving my lot before focusing on ordit registration. Its time to raise the standards and become a better trainer than I am now.

Could have a CT this year, or Id definately like to ask for one.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#5 10-02-08 21:54:27

hector
Verified Member
Website

This world is full of Sharks trying to charge silly prices upfront as with ADI training.

A one training regime suits all is not appropiate. As regarding training hours it is impossible to say without assessemnt.

And this assessment should start with the potential trainers own standards. Someone who cannot teach cannot teach the teachers! This should be the starting point for any course. From there it is fairly easy to establish a structured training regime.

It is always best to spread the training if possible, as with any training intensive all in one go is not the best way.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#6 30-05-08 06:36:56

Kelvin White
Verified Member
Website

Hi Target,

Its quite a while since your original post so not sure if you are still looking for a training course.

I did my train the trainer course with Phil Hurst (aim instructor training) back in January.www.aiminstructortraining.co.uk

The course was 30 hours spread over 5 days and based up in Harrogate.The cost of the course was £1295.
The course was quite demanding and the fact I had to book in to a hotel for 5 nights was a big advantage because it gave me free time with out distractions in the evenings to evaluate and study between sessions.I do run a busy driving school so free time is a luxury.
Since returning I have spent the last 5 months building the instructor training side of the driving school and have been very supprised at the intrest in the local area,it would seem that the option to PAYG is proving to be very popular.Phil taught me how to deliver a very successful course and I can deliver this on a one to one basis for around £2200 in comparison to some of the nationals at £3650 and it still gives me an hourly rate of £35p/h.Potential clients also like the fact that I will be supplying the training on a personal basis and I am not some sales person who just wants to sign them up and then dissapear.

I had my ORDIT inspection on 22/05/08 and passed all three parts to gain accreditation to the register.The course ,accomadation and loss of earnings worked out an expensive gamble but well worth the time and effort and I now feel as though I am in a strong position to gain my share of the training market when the shake up comes as it surely will very soon.

There are not to many posts regarding the ORDIT inspection  here on the forum,so if any one is interested I would be happy to post details.

Kelvin.

www.kelvinwhitedrivingschool.co.uk
ORDIT registered PAYG Instructor training in Somerset.
Delivering a highly successful structured course.
All ADI training on a one to one basis with principle trainer Kelvin White,qualified instructor trainer,ROSPA gold twice,Cardington grade A and Workshop Tutor for Somerset Road Safety Partnership.

#7 30-05-08 13:55:15

Target
Verified Member
Website

Ive probably steered away from the Training side just at the moment.

Ive heard of Phil Hurst and have been considering taking some time out a working on my teaching skills, if not for training the trainer but just to improve my lot.

Like you say....5 nights in a hotel is much better than travelling or having distraction at home.

I'll not say it again, but I will....Just wish there was a bottomless pit of cash I could turn on and study some more, so for the moment I have to steadily build the business one little but at a time.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 21-07-08 07:43:22

hector
Verified Member
Website

I can personally vouch for Phil Hirst. Phil is an absolutely delightful chap to train with. Probably THE most skilful instructor I have met bar none. Extremely organised, disciplined (ex forces like me) and incredibly knowledgable. His trainer training is the best in the country without a shadow of a doubt IMHO. Not the cheapest, but then you do get what you pay for!

Hey you havnt tried everyone!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#9 10-02-10 21:42:30

1stcastle

You don't need any training courses. You just need a pdi and be good at role play. Don't waste your money. Maybe have a few hours with a trainer before you go for the ordit but it's all about getting a pdi. You will then learn very quickly.

#10 15-02-10 11:00:42

Doc
Verified Member
Website

That's a bit like saying "you don't need a driving instructor. You just need a car and the know how to operate it" or "you don't need a trainer to learn how to become an instructor. You just need a learner and be good at telling them where to go"

Anyone looking to become a trainer would be best advised to dismiss the previous post. I am coming up to my ORDIT part 3 and believe me, good training is essential if you want to be a good trainer.

#11 15-02-10 13:35:14

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

You should ask to look at the content of the Train the Trainers course this will give you a better idea as to the structure (if there is any :?) and competencies that you are required to cover.
It is hard to put an exact figure on hours required as this will be dependant on the strengths and weakness of the candidate throughout the course module, but approx 30-40 hours would cover most courses.
My advice would be to find a trainer (a good knowledgable one) that offers training by the hour, this could prove cheaper but also gives you more time to consolidate your skills in between training.
As previously stated it is a minefield out there and until the DSA get there fingers out and properly regulate and assess all trainers it will remain that way. sad

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#12 15-02-10 13:49:17

Target
Verified Member
Website

I would'nt just give it a go.

I still have issues over training people to become driving instructors when I know full well there are too many.

However, whats probably really lacking is the quality of driving instructor and I feel just having a go would contradict those feelings.

Its like saying, do as I say, not as I do.

There are plenty of people out there willing to give me money for having no experience whatsoever, but im not about to start doing it.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

Board footer