You are not logged in.

#1 19-07-08 12:20:11

dog
Verified Member

Is diesel really worth it any more?

Right, I have been considering selling my car and buying a more economical one. At best I can get about 35-40MPG out of my car and it's £120 to tax it for 12 months.

However with soaring petrol prices, and on a student income, I really want to spend as little as I can on running a car. I was looking at cars earlier and have seen that a Fiesta 1.4TDCi can easily get 60MPG and it's only £35 a year to tax. This is very appealing to me, however due to the value (I was looking around £3500 price mark) even with 2 years no claims it would still cost me £1600 a year to insure one, whereas my current car would only cost £1300 a year to insure with 2 years no claims.

And with diesel being so much more expensive than petrol now, would it really be worth it?

19-07-08 12:20:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Is diesel really worth it any more?

#2 19-07-08 15:02:12

GrahamADI
Verified Member

I've got the 1.6TDCi Fiesta and get average 55mpg and tax is the same (but as I'm lease car I don't pay that anyway). Whether it's worth it or not, really does depend on the type of driving you do. High percentage of high speed roads then yes. BUt if you sit in traffic all the time, then diesel's no more economical than petrol.

On another note though... £1600 to insure?!?!?!?! Is the car left overnight in Iraq?  yikes

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 19-07-08 16:14:00

Disky
Verified Member
Website

On another note though... £1600 to insure?!?!?!?! Is the car left overnight in Iraq?  yikes

hahahahahahaaha

#4 19-07-08 18:18:40

kjs
Verified Member
Website

I get 53 mpg out of my diesil peugeot 207, 1.6 hdi. And thats on lessons. with the £35 road tax, I wouldn't have a petrol engine thrown at me now. Only my opinion you understand

kjs

#5 19-07-08 19:33:10

Rockin
Verified Member

I have a 1.4 tdi diesel Fiesta and as above can with eco driving get over 60mpg. Your insurance is very high I would shop around if I were you.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 20-07-08 00:27:31

dog
Verified Member

Not quite, but almost.

#7 20-07-08 04:49:36

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

An article in our local paper a few months back, when prices of diesel was spiralling much higher than paper, stated:

12months ago, if you bought a new car, and you buy the diesel version, at extra cost (as diesel version always more expensive!) it would take 35,000 miles to pay off the extra cost.
now due to the cost of diesel rsing so much, it now takes 47,000 miles to pay off the cost.
Then when you come to sell the car, you wouldnt get as much for it as P/X as dealers would find it harder to sell on.

#8 20-07-08 11:13:31

dog
Verified Member

I'll stick with proper fuel then lol

Cheers for that info Robbie smile

#9 21-07-08 04:16:58

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

same here.