You are not logged in.

#1 18-07-08 19:00:46

Tracey89

Feel ready to book my test....

Hi all hope everyones good, im doing really well in my lessons and my instructor is really pleased at how ive come along, im now thinking of booking my pratical test (there is a 5 week waiting list round here) so would give me time to praticse, but how can i mention it to my instructor?? Ive got a lesson tomorow and sunday doing manouvers and feel im doing well.

Thanks  smile

XxTJxX

xX.:Can we bring yesterday back around coz I know how I feel about you now....:.xX

*Theory Tessed passed on 20/06/08 - Questions: 48/50 & H&P: 51/75*

18-07-08 19:00:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Feel ready to book my test....

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 18-07-08 19:54:06

Busheyfields
Verified Member
Website

Tell him straight, you are the "boss" who is paying his wages. He will either agree with you or disagree, you have nothing to lose by asking the question.

#3 19-07-08 07:08:29

driverpete
Verified Member

Remember also you are paying him for his professional expertise. Do you trust him? Then listen to his advice; if he says you aren't ready he's probably right.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#4 19-07-08 10:07:24

Tracey89

Thanks guys ive got a lesson today and tomorow and see ho they go but i will ask her tomorow after my lesson!

XxTJxX

xX.:Can we bring yesterday back around coz I know how I feel about you now....:.xX

*Theory Tessed passed on 20/06/08 - Questions: 48/50 & H&P: 51/75*

#5 19-07-08 20:12:07

wolfchild08

Just tell him you feel ready and want to do it.  It will be a good experience for you just taking a test even if you dont pass first time.  Just taking my first test made me feel better about my driving.  Even though I failed I thought I drove really well considering it was the first time I drove without my instructor sat next to me.

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

#6 19-07-08 21:27:48

Luchell
Verified Member

I don't mean this rudely but no one is going to get away with telling me when they are going to sit their test  yikes It's my car and my reputation on the line. I was going to reply to the comment above saying you pay us therefore you are the boss, it doesn't quite work that way. We can also pick and choose who we do and don't teach, the best way is to  work together as a solid team and communicate well each lesson identifying where progress has been made and what is left to do  wink

#7 20-07-08 15:15:03

VandADI
Administrator

I would certainly wait for your instructor to give you the go ahead on booking your test up, sometimes the pupil's interpretation of "test ready" is different from the driving instructors.  Perhaps you could suggest doing a mock test and use this as a guide to help you decide? Either way, discuss with your ADI when he/she thinks you will be ready to put in for test.  With the long waiting times, it is always difficult to predict whether a candidate will be test ready by that time, if you are ready before then you could always look for a cancellation, and if you are not, providing you cancel within the 3 day period, you will get your money back.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 20-07-08 15:26:36

evanadi

Just tell him you feel ready and want to do it.  It will be a good experience for you just taking a test even if you dont pass first time.  Just taking my first test made me feel better about my driving.  Even though I failed I thought I drove really well considering it was the first time I drove without my instructor sat next to me.

It will be a much better experience taking your test and passing. It will be a much better experience being really confident and getting through comfortably rather than scraping through.

Sorry if that sounds a bit cutting, but too many pupils think they are ready for test before they actually are. A lot of the time they are being ''spoon fed'' on lessons by their instructors and seem to feel they can go it alone, when actually they are still receiving a lot of help from their ADI.

Best advice to any pupil who thinks they are ready, is to ask their instructor to give no instruction at all on the next lesson, only directions, that is the acid test.

Also remember that the test is the easy part, its the days and years after that count, there really are too many young people getting injured or killed in road accidents for any of us as ADI's to take silly chances just because someone feels they are ready.
Decisions regarding the test should be a mutual agreement, I hope none of you take offence at my comments, but the nerves that are encountered on a test, are amplified by lack of candidate preparation and lack of road experience. One other thing to contemplate is this, the nerves before and during a test, are nothing in comparison to the trauma which an accident can have on an individual.

Make sure all of your decisions regarding your driving lessons and test booking, are done with the agreement of your ADI, they have your best interests and safety at heart. Ev

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 20-07-08 15:43:00

VandADI
Administrator

Going for a driving test when you are not ready will NOT be a good experience, infact it will have the opposite effect and totally destroy any confidence you may have had initially.  I would never advise anyone to put in for a test "to find out what its like".
No disrespect to you wolfchild, but you have taken 4 driving tests so far and failed, and you thought you drove really well, whereas the Examiner did not share the same thoughts. It may have made you feel better about your driving to fail so many tests, but not everyone is the same and this can have some devastating after effects on others in the same situation which in turn totally destroys a persons confidence and taking twice as long to rebuild, sometimes never.
As others have said, make sure all of your decisions are done with the agreement of your ADI.
Can I ask you wolfchild, how you feel about your driving now, do you feel as confident as you did on your first attempt?

#10 20-07-08 16:00:17

sipin
Verified Member

It's great to hear that your confidence is comming along and feel ready to take your test, but I would have to agree with VandADI, Luchell and Evanadi, It is important to seek the advice of your instructor, you should only take the test when you can consistently drive to the required standard (unaided) to pass it,

Even when things go wrong you can learn from them

#11 20-07-08 16:44:43

wolfchild08

erm.. In response to the above comments I feel very confident about my driving now and for your information I have not been spoonfed! I have worked VERY hard to reach the standard I am at and the only reason I have failed my test 4 times is purely down to nerves which has nothing to do with lack of preparation on my part or experience.  Its just that feeling of being monitored by an examiner with a clipboard puts additional pressure on. My instructor has helped me and given me advice but it is me who has put the hard work in!  My instructor is sick of the sight of me and has said countless times that im more than capable of passing the test I just need to calm now. I did not say that I was happy to have failed 4 tests.  I am not saying that at all - what I was pointing out was the fact that taking the test the first time was a good experience for me to see what it would be like and it made me feel better about my driving knowing the fact that I didnt make many mistakes.

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

#12 20-07-08 17:48:58

Luchell
Verified Member

Hey there, no one is saying YOU have been spoonfed  wink   I can tell you about one of my pupils who i truely have all the time in the world for. That poor girl has been through the mill with tests yet never once has she given in, complained she should have passed, moaned about the examiners, blamed everyone in sight for a serious fault. She's a total pleasure to teach and she knows that if she sees my face drop at the result which i do try not to let happen she knows it is that i am dissapointed FOR her not WIth her.

She has been at the correct standard and well above it consistently for a while now. She drives unaided in as many horrid situations i can find to put her in! Shes now failed 6 tests which is the most i have had a pupil ever go up to, is it because she is rubbish? No way. I have sat in on the last few to see for myself what has been going on incase there is a way i can help her more, we have hours to up her drive after every test to try and ensure success the next time. This time i sat and watched as usual a faultless drive, all was great, until she decided to accelerate a little and select second gear. Down went the clutch minutes from the end of the test and for some reason she blanked and pulled the clutch up without a gear change causing our car to lose speed. Serious faulot for gears, hardly a fault in sight apart from that. I could have cried FOR her not because of her.

Shes come back with a couple of faults, mag and pass certificate out let two other cars come in before her only to angle herself not quite right for the bay left and took too long reversing into it. Serious fault. Hardly any faults test before that went in the left turn only lane on approach to a roundabout we have done many a time and went straight ahead in it getting a serious. She should have gone left and she did know this bless her. The story continues. I am sure the others who have replied to this thread have all had a similar experience to mine and my pupils and actually consider that very pupil to be such a massive reward when she finally makes it. As i said, she never moans or blames any one else, shes always willing to make her drive that notch even better relating any problems that may have appeared even if she is normally fine with it. I have angled my car deliberately awkwardly as many time as possible to make her have to really think about how on earth to get the car out, taken her well out of our area to increase her awareness and planning ability as much as possible etc etc

So please don't think we see anyone as a failure or get 'sick of them'. I wasn't lying when i told my pupil sitting behind her driving at such a high standard was a sheer pleasure because that examiner knew i had taught her and regardless of a serious fault she has made was still a lovely little driver capable of a lovely drive who sadly has a habit of losing concentration or any other reason makes a serious fault on test.

#13 20-07-08 17:53:48

Luchell
Verified Member

Whilst i am thinking about that poor pupil i would also like to add she has because a bit of a beacon of hope to be honest for others. That girl had realtrouble bay parking at the end of one test, we had private runners walking everywhere to their kids cars, flinging car doors open in the only space left leaving her to angle around them it was heartbreaking to watch. I knew the park would have blown it because she had to keep angling the car in a different way and trying that. Just as i had taught her never once did she give up and just say 'sod it i cannot get the car in'. That girl kept going until the car was in the space! Yes it took her too long and she knows i have always agreed with any serious she has made but she did just as i taught her NEVER EVER give up!! You just never know. After she did tell me even though she didn't pass she was damn proud of herself for having the perseverance to get it finished! She never lets herself 'snowball' following a fault no matter if she really does think the test is a failed or not.

My pupils know they must never give up on the drive, and this poor pupil shows more determination than i have seen in a long while, we will BOTH throw a party when she does pass, until then neither her nor I will give up on her   smile smile

#14 20-07-08 18:58:36

evanadi

erm.. In response to the above comments I feel very confident about my driving now and for your information I have not been spoonfed! I have worked VERY hard to reach the standard I am at and the only reason I have failed my test 4 times is purely down to nerves which has nothing to do with lack of preparation on my part or experience.

Yes you have been spoonfed, all pupils are spoonfed information until they reach test standard. With regards to working hard to  get where you are, join the Learners club every pupil who wants to pass their test has to work hard to reach the grade.

You say YOU feel very confident about your driving, that maybe, however when you are in a test situation you obviously find it difficult due to your 'nerves' and make mistakes. This is exactly the point I have been trying to get through to people. So you get a bit nervy when an examiner sits next to you, believe me when you sit in the car on your own for the first few times you will find the nerves will kick in again, whilst it may be difficult to comprehend, you are actually learning to get over these nerves every time you take a test.

As mentioned in Luchell's two posts above, we all get pupils who need that extra help to get them to test standard. Usually they work twice as hard as those who find it easy to drive, and to be honest they are usually a lot more careful on the road due to the fact that they don't have inflated egos and confidence when they are driving.

I recently had a 21 year old female pass her test, it was her third attempt, she started learning 14 months ago, she had numerous mock tests, and was nervous for all of those, and also her actual tests. She remained always good humoured, positive and keen to pass, she passed on the 18th of June with 3dfs, she will be a very safe and considerate driver.

As ADI's we are have a responsibility to ensure that those candidates we present for test are up to the task ahead, not just the test but also the challenges of driving on the roads on their own, so I say again if pupils are still dependent on Instructors before test then they are not test ready. (Spoon feeding). Ev

Board footer