You are not logged in.

#1 11-07-08 17:36:43

learner 1

Change of Instructor?

Hello.

As a long time reader of these forums I was hoping you could some advice as to whether or not i should change instructor. I have been learning to drive since November and have had around 30 lessons so far. Recently however my instructor seems to be making a habit of cutting my lessons short by 5 or 10 minutes. He occasionally makes comments about his other students and in my most recent lesson, which happened to be after another student's test (who passed), has suggested that i am a bit of a slow learner in comparison. This has somewhat lowered any confidence i had gained. Other instructors of the same franchise have recently retired and therefore my instructor is now overbooked as he has taken on their students as well as training another PDI. He tends to make this known to me every lesson, which makes me think that perhaps he is not giving me 100%. I am reluctant to book another instructor however, because i have learnt a lot with my current one and i think it may further hinder me to change to another car/instructor and possibly area. neutral Please offer your advice on this situation.

Many thanks.

11-07-08 17:36:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Change of Instructor?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 11-07-08 18:05:18

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Always difficult to offer advice on something like this.

How is your progress?

Do you have a progress chart so you can see what you have done and what is left to do?

Every pupil learns at a different speed from others, that's normal. Though you should let your instructor know that he is making you feel a little inadequate by making comments on others to you.

Ultimately only you can decide if you have lost trust in him, so need to move on.

Certainly do not let him cut your lessons short, you have paid for that time it is yours. pehaps suggest that the ten minutes you have lost this week he can add to your next lesson, he might then realise that he is not being fair to you.

It maybe that he intended to inspire you by talking about a fast learner, if it has had the opposite effect you need to let him know.

Good Luck

#3 11-07-08 23:34:42

helee
Verified Member

Talk to the instructor get your time back its your time you paid for it

If no joy change you will gain more experience in a different car etc you might even start enjoying your lessons again

#4 13-07-08 00:15:54

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

it would appear you are being short changed? as hekee said talk to him or her. driving lessons altho serious! should be enjoable/fun if thats not the case? think again. you dont say where you are from but the instructors listings on this site should find you someone who thinks the way you do?

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#5 13-07-08 10:36:40

learner 1

Thank you for all your responses; kaf, in response to your question regarding my progress;  i don't have a progress chart at the moment but have had two mock tests so far which didn't go great (3 serious faults and 12 minor, i think). My general driving is so-so:|,  and I know i need to improve on my manoeuvres substantially. There are a few bad habits I still have to correct! Overall i think i have been instructed on everything required and its just a matter of being able to do these things independently.  I will see how my next lesson goes and consider the possibility of choosing another instructor.

Thanks again for all your advice.

#6 13-07-08 18:00:12

Target
Verified Member
Website

We often can say the wrong words, but not intentionally.

Is that 5/10 minutes short by the time you exit the car, or the time to arrive at your house?.......Just a question.

My advice had always been.......Take a short assessment with another instructor your current instructor does not even have to know, you can cancel one week and make some excuse then your not paying for 2 lessons. Your be surprised, I know you will.

I get similiar compliants like yourself, but Ive always had to work hard for pupils, they have never just arrived at my door. Ive recently picked up 2 pupils both saying the same as you...Lessons cut short, or always late....They cannot all be wrong.

Get another assessment and see how it goes, then you have something to compare with.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 14-07-08 00:22:45

starlight_

He occasionally makes comments about his other students and in my most recent lesson, which happened to be after another student's test (who passed), has suggested that i am a bit of a slow learner in comparison. This has somewhat lowered any confidence i had gained.

Seriously, get rid! Over the 15 months I spent learning to drive I had 4 instructors, the 1st I had a fantastic rapport with (still do), flexible as long as I didn't take the bleep, wasn't bothered if I didn't get it as long as I spoke up and made the effort to learn or how long it took smile  taught me to drive smile He stopped teaching as I was preparing for test, moved to his collegue who I went out for an assesment lesson with he just didn't have any people skills what so ever,dumped him after one lesson.
The 3rd I wasted several hundred pound here, I was paying him to help me brush up my drive and all he wanted to do was pull apart everything I did, making me push back my test telling me I wasn't ready. After a rather worrying conversation about his check test, I got rid! smile
Instructor number 4, hilarious smile again fantastic rapport, couldn't believe I'd been asked to push back my test had lessons helped me brush up my drive and helped me build my confidence and stuck with me when I failed (several times), nerves and a run of silly mistakes on my part, believed I would pass and encouraged me to try again when I was ready to give up.

I guess what I'm trying to get as is you wouldn't pay for a washing machine knowing it was faulty and wouldn't clean your wash your clothes, so why pay a driving instructor who obviously has no regard for his reputation, who cuts your lessons short as well as makes comments that leave you feeling demoralised without a second thought. When there are plenty out there who actually have the patience and time to help you develope your driving skills.

I blinking passed, at last!! smile 19/03/08 - OMG I've been driving a year! Sold Betty & haven't stopped sobbing since....

#8 15-07-08 14:43:40

learner 1

I think I will look into booking an assessment lesson as suggested. TargetAdi, i take my lesson during my lunch hour in work and therefore it is occasionally cut short when i am leaving the car . Thanks starlight for your response,interesting to hear another learner's viewpoint. Congratulations on passing by the way. Interesting comparison with a washing machine by the way  big_smile, helps put in perspective i guess.

Board footer