You are not logged in.

#1 01-07-08 18:43:41

iwanadrive

worth appealing against a driving test result?

Hi guys, i was wondering if you could help me out.  Yesterday unfortunately i failed my driving test result for the third time, with one minor and two serious.  The two serious were for the same roundabout, the instructor felt i should be in the right hand lane but i was in the left hand lane and he felt i should have indicated right.  I told him whilst on the test that my instructor has told me that i should be in the left hand lane in order to go where i was going, so i stayed in the left hand lane, also the road markings showed i was in the correct lane.

When i got back to the test centre he told me i had failed for being in the left lane and also for not indicating right when i wanted to go right on this roundabout.  However i have been back to this roundabout and it clearly says that you can use the left lane, it is also more straight ahead, so i would not indicate to the right and never have when practicing with my instructor.  Also, would it not be more dangerous if i was indicating right when i was in the left lane because surely the cars to the right of me would think i wanted to move over and may cut them up?

Do you feel with the vague bit of info i have given you that this is enough grounds to appeal?  Also, is it worth appealing, as in even if you appeal it won't change the outcome? 

Any advice you could give me would be gratefully appreciated.

01-07-08 18:43:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: worth appealing against a driving test result?

#2 01-07-08 20:49:44

wolfchild08

Sorry to hear you failed your third test iwanadrive.  I also failed my third test last fri (27th).  In response to your question I take it your saying the exit was straight ahead and wasnt the third exit of the roundabout am I right? I know some roundabouts vary but if you have done it the way your instructor has told you then I dont know what more you could have done about this one.

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 01-07-08 20:54:14

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Where's the roundabout?

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#4 02-07-08 07:42:14

pinball
Verified Member
Website

did the DE say take the 3rd exit right? or did he say follow the road ahead its the 3rd exit?

#5 02-07-08 14:18:24

Lynne
Verified Member

Have to watch them you know.  2 weeks ago I sat in the back with a DE from another area.  He said to candidate "2nd exit on the left"...she started to signal left then thankfully turned it off on time.  None of our local lot give those directions at that r/about

#6 02-07-08 14:21:36

golfball13
Verified Member
Website

Like Tony said, let us know where the RB is and we might be able to help some more  smile

Rob

RPL Driving
Driving lessons in Chelmsford, Brentwood, Billericay and other areas of Essex

#7 02-07-08 16:56:54

iwanadrive

Ok, thanks guys.  The roundabout is in Winchester, known as winnal roundabout, i was coming from the a272, spitfire link  In resonse to peoples questions, the examiner did say the right hand lane, but then i did have to correct him as he wanted me to take the fourth exit which was on the right which would have taken me on to the motorway.  In order to go onto the A34 Newbury bypass, you have the option of using either lane, the right hand lane is for the motorway and the A34.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6035

The link i have attempted to post, shows some of the roundabout, it was the best search wise that i was able to find.  Where the picture is taken from is exactly where i was in the car, if that makes sense.

I just want to see where i stand based on principles really, regardless of whether he said right or straight ahead, surely if the road marking state what lane i can use, then i should be able to use that lane?  To be honest i am just really confused about it and feel its unfair to be taught a way to do it and then do this on my test and be told this isn't the way.  If i had failed due to something being my fault then i could understand, but i honestly don't see what i could have done different.  I did it that way because i was taught that way, so somewhere along the lines someone is at fault!!

If you want anymore details please let me know

#8 02-07-08 17:14:47

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

This the one?

[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i197/tonym2678/wrb.jpg[/img]

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#9 02-07-08 17:32:28

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

If he told you to take the fourth exit by the way (motorway) and you had to correct him, it sounds like he was a visiting examiner.

My first thoughts are you probably have enough grounds to get a free re-test.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#10 02-07-08 18:16:09

HereComesTrouble

Well, looking at the photo above I am trying to establish exatly where you went. If it was the road that is the 3rd exit, the obne before going onto the dual carriageway to the right, then you should have used the left lane and not signalled right. IF that is the case, you should appeal AND make a complaint about the DE.

#11 02-07-08 18:51:01

iwanadrive

Thats the one!  Cheers. did try and google a good one but couldn't find it.  Ok, so just to clarify, i took the third exit, but that is the dual carriage way.  Looking at it from that picture it does look like it is slightly more to the right, its the one where there is the green box saying A34.

So now that we have that all established!  What are peoples opinions? Like i said, anything that will help clarify things for me is great.  Would speak to my instructor but he's gone on holiday.

#12 02-07-08 20:35:06

pinball
Verified Member
Website

Have a look on the dsa website and see if you can print of the the test route you went on and see how it is worded

#13 02-07-08 20:43:19

iwanadrive

Have done that!  All it says is roundabout third exit.  The examiner was a visiting examiner and he only does tests there as and when.  I don't think this was the route he normally goes on, but test routes had to be changed that day due to the town centre roads being closed due to a parade. 

Thanks for everyones replies so far, its nice to have people trying to work things out for me like this.

#14 02-07-08 21:36:56

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

The basis for any complaint you make would be that you did nothing wrong. With the proviso that the left lane is the correct lane for the exit you took, you can't be failed for not following his directions.

On any roundabout if the examiner says take for example the third exit, and you take the second, provided you use the correct lane and signals for the exit you take, then no driving fault should be recorded.

If you want to make a complaint, then do so in writing to the DSA (address on DSA website). The complaint should be made on the basis that the test was not conducted fairly, due to the fact that the examiner gave misleading or incorrect directions, and that if you had followed his directions you would have been going onto a motorway. The best you can get however is a free re-test. The result of your test cannot be changed even if you could prove the examiner was wrong to fail you.

If you get a re-test they are normally conducted by the senior examiner at the test centre, in order to ensure that the test is conducted strictly by the book.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#15 02-07-08 21:44:38

HereComesTrouble

Doesn't matter how the test route is worded, they are often wrongly worded and can take some time to figure out how the heck you jumperd 5 streets!

I do think you have a good case for appeal on the grounds that the test was not conducted correctly, namely that the examiner was wrong to fault you for correctly using the left lane. As Tony sauys, you will get a free re-test if won and that is that.

#16 03-07-08 07:49:37

iwanadrive

Thanks for your answers, i will look at how to go about appealing/complaining.  I realise that they can't overturn the decision, but considering i only got one minor i feel a bit hard done by and feel its unfair that i failed for reasons that were not my fault.  I also feel that i would like to complain so that maybe this can be highlighted to this examiner and that in future he doesn't fail anyone else again with respect to this. 

Board footer