You are not logged in.

#1 28-02-08 21:11:51

wolfchild08

t junctions

How does your instructer advise you to approach them? Recently my instructer has been confusing me a little with these.  Initialley we would select 1st gear and stop at the line if it was a closed junction and the view was restricted.  The only time we would keep going is if there was a very clear view of the oncoming traffic and if it was easy to assess the road in good time, in which case he would have asked me to slow down and go into 2nd gear.  Now he says now im near test standard, I need to be getting into 1st gear every time we approach a t junction and he tells me im breaking too slow and need to be in 1st gear when I slow down to about 20 mph?? Have I go this right? I was just wondering how your instructer advices you to tackle t junctions and if any instructers are reading this, does this sound right to you and what would you advise as the correct method? Many thanks.

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

28-02-08 21:11:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: t junctions

#2 29-02-08 09:27:27

littlemissbitch

My instructer has taught me to go into 1st gear about 1 to 2 car's lenth's  away from the junction , only time i have been taught to get into second is on roundabout's

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 29-02-08 12:21:49

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi

I teach that the gear you use depends on what you see.  If you have an open junction & can see it is clear about 2 car lenghts before the junction you only need 2nd gear but if you need to slow down to 5 - 10 mph you are going to need 1st gear.

It all depends on your observations speed & situation you find yourself in for each junction.

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#4 29-02-08 22:39:23

Jakey
Verified Member

Hi

On the approach you need to think about the danger of crossing the give way lines without making sure it's safe to emerge!!

Once you understand this you should then think about your speed on the approach, this speed should be slow enough to stop at the give way lines gently.

I teach to be about a fast walking speed, about 5-8 mph, when the front of the car is at the second centre white line, when emerging right, you then have plenty of time to select first gear while still slowing to just a very slow walking speed when you arrive at the give way lines, look both ways and be ready to go if safe.

If emerging left then again slow to this speed but don't change to first gear until you have steered left, then just as you arrive at the give way lines look both directions, then go if safe.

Remember, give way lines do not mean stop, but, the less you can see the slower you should be.

Part 1 98%
Part 2 Clean sheet
Part 3 2nd attempt
First check test grade 4
Second check test grade 5

#5 07-05-08 23:14:33

Iwant4Wheels

I've always been told if your going slower than walking speed then to go back down into 1st. Usually when i can't see clearly round a corner, or i'm driving into a busy road i tend to slow down and usually end up in 1st gear.

#6 08-05-08 05:25:58

ExAdiNigel

Have you spoken with your instructor and explained he has left you confused?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#7 08-05-08 21:03:02

Shazzer

Similar happened with mine, I said 'make your mind up!, you tell me this and then this!!'  It really depend on the situation and how open the junction is, I suppose you just get to grips with it with experience.

#8 08-05-08 21:35:36

wolfchild08

This is something I posted a while ago, im not encountering any problems with this anymore.  Ive reached a point where I just know what to do depending on the sitchuation. I guess it just clicked over time  big_smile

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 18-05-08 08:17:36

guess who
Verified Member

How does your instructer advise you to approach them? Recently my instructer has been confusing me a little with these.  Initialley we would select 1st gear and stop at the line if it was a closed junction and the view was restricted.  The only time we would keep going is if there was a very clear view of the oncoming traffic and if it was easy to assess the road in good time, in which case he would have asked me to slow down and go into 2nd gear.  Now he says now im near test standard, I need to be getting into 1st gear every time we approach a t junction and he tells me im breaking too slow and need to be in 1st gear when I slow down to about 20 mph?? Have I go this right? I was just wondering how your instructer advices you to tackle t junctions and if any instructers are reading this, does this sound right to you and what would you advise as the correct method? Many thanks.

Have i got this right.
Your ADI has taught you to stop at all give way junctions. then see if its safe to go.
He has now changed that?

How many lesson has he let you do it like this?

#10 26-06-08 10:10:53

driversdomainuk
Verified Member
Website

if you cant see, keep it slow and match the speed to the gear (i.e 1st) if the junction is open then 2nd may be possible. As always keep good obs and make sure it is safe.

www.driversdomainuk.com
Drivers Domain UK.com
The UK Driver Training & Resource Site

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 26-06-08 10:25:23

KevB
Verified Member
Website

if you cant see, keep it slow and match the speed to the gear (i.e 1st)

I prefer to teach match the gear to the speed, and the anticipated acceleration requirements.
That speed should be such that the driver can perform effective observations and make a decision and still be able to stop at the give way if required.

#12 26-06-08 10:26:55

driversdomainuk
Verified Member
Website

driversdomainuk wrote:

I prefer to teach match the gear to the speed, and the anticipated acceleration requirements.
That speed should be such that the driver can perform effective observations and make a decision and still be able to stop at the give way if required.

sorry a typo!! gear to the speed not vice versa 

www.driversdomainuk.com
Drivers Domain UK.com
The UK Driver Training & Resource Site

#13 26-06-08 12:07:19

neil8181
Verified Member

Oracle ADI wrote:
driversdomainuk wrote:

sorry a typo!! gear to the speed not vice versa

Exactly!
If you you can't see on approach(closed junction), speed will be low, hence gear 1 needed.
If you can see on approach(open junction), no need for too low of a speed, hence gear 2.

Always determine the speed first then select the gear to match.

The confusion may of come from the instructor not telling pupil that he is advancing, so is now trying to make a little more progress at junctions without always stop/starting.

Regards

Approved Driving Instructor
DSA Grade 6 Fleet Registered
A1 Assessor
NVQ Level 3 in Driving Instruction
Ambassador for BRAKE
ROSPA Gold

Board footer