You are not logged in.

#1 18-06-08 18:00:26

pussboots

feel down

hi folks,just new here and hope yous are all well big_smile
having passed my test at the end of march,i just got a car about 4weeks ago and i hate it!not the car as in such,just dont like driving now.so different from instructors.his was diesel,mine is petrol ,still having the occasional stall but improving on that.just been doing small journeys that are familiar to me but today went somewhere i havent been before and got so flustered.panicking at roundabouts,where am i going or what gear should i be in!the gears are the worst for me ,feel as if i'm constantly having to think about them.fine changing up them its when im coming down them!feel as if i shouldnt have passed my test!my brain is so tired the now and it was only about a half hour journey there and same back.headaches so bad too.do i persevere and put myself through the stress and headaches and carry on with manual or do you think i should change to automatic?i just want to enjoy driving and be able to take the kids places but at this rate i just dont want to drive again sad

18-06-08 18:00:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: feel down

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 18-06-08 18:06:04

Luchell
Verified Member

Hi there and welcome to the forum  smile How about doing pass plus with your instructor if they do it? I've done that with a few of my pupils who had felt the way you do now, it did them the world of good. Good to see you have joined here to, It's also important to know you won't be the only person to feel like you do.

I remember passing, the relief was fantastic, then i got in my own car on my own and i began to feel a little like yourself. I then took up advanced driving lessons and here i am 12 years later  lol Once i found my confidence on my own that was it, i drove so much! I loved it. 

#3 18-06-08 18:54:54

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Just remember passing the test is not the end of learning to drive.

Most people still struggle after passing their test, especially going from diesel to petrol. Unfortunately there are too many people who are taught to pass their test rather than taught to drive.

Your options are to keep with the shorter more familiar journeys, building up gradually to include less familiar routes. Your confidence will improve with time. Get some more training. Or if you feel you just cannot cope with manual then take the automatic route. Manual is not for everybody, you should enjoy your driving and feel in control. If you don't then auto may well be your best option.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#4 18-06-08 19:13:36

pussboots

hi luchell,thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately my ADI doesn't do pass plus,it was something he was going to look into.He did say though that any problems I had after getting a car he would take me out in it and help in any way he could be it on motorways or whatever,so suppose it would be a bit like pass plus just without the certificate which i'm not to bothered about anyway.Only problem is cashflow at the moment as I've just been paid off work but hope to get back in the next couple of months(thats another story! smile)will just have to try and put a bit by each week until i can get enough again for a few after lessons.
Meantime my partner who is very supportive ,understanding and patient has said that he will come out with me .He thinks I should give myself and the motor a chance before I go down the road of automatic.He knows I have worked hard to get my license and doesn't want to see me beat myself up!So I suppose I'll keep trying.Thank goodness for paracetemols!
It's such a relief to know that I'm not the only one to feel like this.I suppose in a way i'm impatient in myself and want to be one of those  people where they can just get up and go drive wherever.Driving was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do,didn't come natural to me unlike other things i can do with ease.
What exactly does advanced driving entail if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks

#5 18-06-08 19:31:55

pussboots

Hi Tony,thanks for you reply.
I think I will just stick to the familiar areas for now just venture a little bit out at a time and try and build on confidence as you suggest.When my cashflow improves i would like to take extra training,if i've not got any further forward with how i feel.
If I did choose to go down auto route would I be better to have a couple of lessons even though I have passed my test or is it something that is easy enough to do without?
Thanks

#6 18-06-08 19:42:55

Luchell
Verified Member

http://www.iam.org.uk/

Gizmotime is an IAM observer so I am sure she would help you with any specific questions, there are others who are also members of the IAM. Iam was the route i choose and i found it very very good. There are a few advanced tests or tuition you can do, i suggested the above because it popped into my head when i went to reply  smile

#7 18-06-08 21:20:49

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

If you decide to try auto it's worth having a couple of hours with an ADI to go through the different techniques you can use.

One thing to bear in mind whether you decide to stick with manual or go the auto route. Driving is not so much about operating the controls, it's about looking, seeing, reacting, planning, anticipating and all those sort of things. Car controls are just a way of making a machine work, that's all a car is, a machine. In an auto there are less controls to worry about which is why some people find them easier. In a manual the more you operate the controls the less you think about them, so that part becomes easier and you gradually spend more time doing all the other things, and actually driving big_smile

Good luck with whatever route you do decide to go and don't forget to let us know how you get on.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#8 18-06-08 21:34:53

evanadi

''having passed my test at the end of march,i just got a car about 4weeks ago and i hate it!''

This is the cause of your problem pussboots, you have lost both momentum and confidence in your driving. Your post highlights quite a common problem with new drivers. ie: passed test no car to drive, no practice then confidence goes.

You must try and nip this is the bud straight away.

Things to help you which won't cost. Get a friend or relative in the car with you when you are driving (preferably a qualified driver), this will give you company and help to build a bit of confidence up. You have had an ADI in the car with you all the time you were learning and now probably feel very isolated in the car. This would have been easier if you had a car to drive straight away.

You may also benefit from driving at quiet times of the day, pick a Sunday morning when it is quiet and drive around a while get comfortable with your driving, when there are less road users about.

Above all don't feel disheartened or isolated, there are many out there who feel the same, take it step by step and build up your confidence, all of us were nervous when we took that first few drives on our own, the only difference with you is that you have had to wait a while for your car and you are feeling the effects a couple of months after passing.

Good luck with the driving. Ev wink

#9 19-06-08 04:11:08

philb15

Hi Pussboots,

I fully back what Ev has said.  I remember passing my test in a Corsa and then having to wait a while until I was back behind the wheel.  Then I drove a Micra and the car felt so different.  I was a little shell shocked because my instructor was no longer there with words of encouragement when I made a mistake (generally hopping along and stalling while getting used to the car and the different biting point).

As already mentioned, take the time to get used to the car, build up your self-confidence for driving solo. Then one day you will get in the car and without thinking about it and you will enjoy the drive rather than disliking it. 

After feeling the same as you I quickly started to enjoy driving and I am now training to become an ADI to pass that on to others.

#10 19-06-08 23:25:06

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

i was building up a response while reading then ev pretty much said all i was about to  big_smile so what he said ^ . keep at it, stay safe the confidence wil come  big_smile good luck

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

Board footer