You are not logged in.

#1 03-03-05 09:53:08

chris26

PDI, studying for part two, 1 test failed so far.

Hi new to the site hello all. Just wandering if anyone has any tips for the reverse around corner to the right or to the left and reverse park. I recvd minors on the reverse arounf corner for adjusting my n/s mirrors. I have perfected these manouvere's but only with full use of the n/s mirror as a guide, this it seems is bad practice and would welcome any hints and tips for how you carry these out.
1. reverse around corner left. (wide corner and right angle)
2. reverse around corner right (wide corner and right angle)
3. reverse park.

Ps didnt fail on this failed for a stupid error on a motorway, frustrating!!

Chris, Manchester area

03-03-05 09:53:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: PDI, studying for part two, 1 test failed so far.

#2 03-03-05 18:37:34

Ammanvalley

I used to use the mirrors all the time as I'm used to driving a transit van and a horsebox so no rear view!  But obviously that's not allowed.  I look back and forward constantly, as you look forward and back each time glance in the mirrors to guide you.

#3 03-03-05 23:02:08

arwen
Website

practice,practice,practice = skill and judgement. no substitute for it. :twisted:

#4 04-03-05 18:46:22

lazwal
Verified Member
Website

Hi, I am training for part two and I am at the end of my tether with the reverse exercise I am with the instructor college and without banging on about it still think that they do not give enough instruction. Anyway going back to the reversing. On my last half days instuction my instructer told me that I must not use my mirrors and that when I practice my manoeuvres I must turn my mirrors in. So I did and I was about three feet from the kerb at the point of turn. The DSA "Driving" book states that you should look out of the rear window till you lose sight of the kerb and then when it reappears in your side window. My point being how are you expceted to see it out of your side window? or am I missing something? Surely it is  safer to use your nearside mirroras an aid. Any suggestions please.

lazwal

#5 04-03-05 22:08:48

luchell

you should see the kerb in your back corner window once it has disapeared out of the back window when you were going straight back. once its in the rear n/s back quater window follow it round steering to follow it obviously once the kerb appears back in the rear window wait until the kerb lines up with usually your back windscreen wiper take the lock off you put on to straighten up. does this make sense?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 05-03-05 07:17:55

ExAdiNigel

lazwal wrote:

....On my last half days instuction my instructer told me that I must not use my mirrors and that when I practice my manoeuvres I must turn my mirrors in.....

Well he is talking a load of bollox then isn't he!  If the mirrors give further information then you use them.  It makes no sense whatsoever to restrict you observation.  That being said, the looks in the mirrors should only be glances, you must not reverse looking mainly in one of the mirrors, most of the looking must be out the back window.  The mirrors are only a small part of your overall observations.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#7 05-03-05 08:45:55

lazwal
Verified Member
Website

Cheers for that. It is great getting differing views from people who have the same problem or have been in the same position. Can you just clear up one thing what is the distance you are allowed to be from the kerb including the corner to not get a minor fault.
Laz.

lazwal

#8 05-03-05 19:10:35

Alibran

Just wanted to agree with what Nigel said.  I'm doing part 2 at the moment, and on all my reversing manoeuvres I look mostly over my left/right shoulder through the back window, but do frequent all round observations which include all 3 mirrors, out the front of the car, and over the other shoulder.  I've had training with two ADIs (different companies) and both have been quite happy with that.

#9 05-03-05 20:27:57

Mr.Incredible

Reversing around a corner is just like emerging ... except backwards.
Because you're going backwards and thus steering with the "back wheels", there will be a few moments whilst the steering action takes effect at the "front".
To accommodate this, split the manoeuvre into 3 separate bits: the straight reverse, the turn and then... another straight reverse.
Stop frequently to give everything a good dose of the looking at and assess the effect of your last steering correction.
Keep the "big picture"; look where you're going; make small corrections only... no big movements or excess speed so close to the kerb.
Once you're straight, i.e., finished the turn, look backwards, fix on some distant object (e.g. a car) parked further down the road and steer towards it... parallel to the kerb (remember where the kerb intersected the windscreen at the start of the manoeuvre?)
Usually there are 5 hazard lines painted in the road up to the junction. On the L/reverse, back up for 3 of them, for the R/reverse, back up for all 5... job done!
Hope this helps

"If you don't know where you're going, no road will lead you there" - Rudyard Kipling

#10 06-03-05 15:53:11

lazwal
Verified Member
Website

Hi, thanks for all the advice. I know it as helped me and I am sure it will benefit others. This morning I have been out with a new practice buddy and put the suggestions into practice. Everything looks a bit better now, still a long way to go though. But  as previously mentioned at the beginging of this discussion it now a case of more practice, and practice.
Cheers everyone.
Laz.

lazwal

#11 07-03-05 00:36:48

luchell

ive been told by my trainer no more than foot out for the entire manouvre

#12 08-03-05 09:12:26

chris26

everyone for your tips its much appreciated, i have tried some of your ideas out and it seems to be improving, like anything practice makes perfect.

Board footer