You are not logged in.

#1 12-05-08 12:44:57

AndyBerry

My turn now :(

Letter arrived this morning for 5th June at 8:30 - argh!!! I don't do mornings well, LOL
I'm not feeling too worried at the moment, in fact slightly confident. My only concern is the pupil for the lesson - as I'm part time, I don't have a large number of pupils who do early lessons, in fact very few who can do that early in the week!
Have I got the sequence of things right here for how the test happens:

Pick up pupil, get them to drive to t/c.
Leave pupil in car whilst going to meet examiner or take them in with you?
Back out to the car, do recap with pupil for examiners purposes (despite doing one when picking the pupil up)
Out on lesson, pick up on anything that goes wrong and change lesson plan if something major crops up. Analyse / Rectify all faults
Back to t/c for end of the hour, go inside for debrief with examiner.
Get pupil to drive home for end of lesson.

The pupil I'm hoping will be available (got to check with her yet) will probably be doing dual carriageways (one of my favourite subjects!) about that time, so thinking a good blast down there for a few miles and back will be my topic.
Am I right in how things work or have I gone completely off track with this?

Going to talk with my franchise manager tomorrow when I meet him (he's got some information etc to give me he said)

Any suggestions greatly welcomed!

Andy

12-05-08 12:44:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: My turn now :(

#2 12-05-08 15:48:06

HereComesTrouble

Andy. Ring up Newcastle and tell them you need a middle of the day time. They are very obliging. Also tell THEM which TC you want. You8 will probably get Steve Johnstone, one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. be advised, he WILL try to rush you. Take control and tell him to hang on, there is no rush. Do you brief, remember MSPSL (which I forgot to mention) and do your normal stuff. Keep an eye on time and PLAN every inch of the route, plus some alternative roads just in case.

Give me a tinkle and I will gladly go through some CT stuff with you freebie if that helps. You know who I am and where to find my number.... if not, PM me.

Soryr, juyst read it properly, I presumed you were getting ex to role play. I did on mine and will when I get my next CT in 4 years time. The ex is predictable, the pupil isn't!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 12-05-08 16:02:15

samds
Verified Member
Website

Hi Andy

1st off get the test changed to a suitable time.
2nd get some CT training.
If you don't know about John Farlams Instructor Guide, have a read it's helpful.
Read some of the CT write ups on the forum.

Drive pupil to test centre so that you can follow on from last lesson.
Take pupil in to meet examiner, your pupil will be nervous so don't make them worse leaving them alone in a car.
Recap for the pupils purposes
Lesson content suitable to pupils ability
Pupil may slip back a little so be ready to help and change if needed.
Back to test centre, Recap hand back over to examiner
Into building and get debriefed.

I'd personally drive home.

Good luck

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#4 12-05-08 16:22:54

hector
Verified Member
Website

Just to back up WDT. Go for role play  wink

DL 25 remedial lesson is a very good one.

Think of benefits:

A 'Trained pupil' who wont smash your car or fall apart at the seams
Examiner in the front not back
No worries of pupil let down
You know the faults!
You control the route
8.30 is fine

Downsides?

Non - unless you cant handle role play  big_smile

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#5 14-05-08 22:45:46

la.monikita
Verified Member

I have mine on 5th of June at 10.30, going for role play for all the reasons above, plus when I do the "disqualified driver", I will be sitting observing him trying to fit in some faults I'm supposed to miss tongue

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#6 14-05-08 23:38:28

AndyBerry

Decided to go with a pupil as I don't overly like role play. Brings back pt3 memories too much ;-)
Picked a pupil and decided the time will be OK as I'm not working late the day before. Had a chat yesterday with my regional manager as well and he kinda confirmed the stuff that was going through my head about how it all works, so feeling generally better about it all.

Cheers for all advice and the offers so far!

Andy

#7 15-05-08 06:35:37

HereComesTrouble

One point to bear in mind Andy, has your selected pupil driven at that time of day weekday before? Traffic will be fairly heavy around the TC - rush hour.

#8 15-05-08 08:23:00

AndyBerry

Usually drives in the evening rush, so it's not quite as bad. Thanks for the warning though big_smile

#9 15-05-08 20:32:07

Trumper
Verified Member

You could take along a full licence holder like a friend or even your partner. Key point keep it simple!!

O.R.D.I.T. Dip D.I
Fleet reg
A.D.I  Car manual
Cardington A , D.I.A Special test, R.O.S.P.A , I.A.M

#10 15-05-08 23:36:37

AndyBerry

I think if I took my partner, we'd barely make it out the car park before an argument broke out about her driving - she doesn't like me in passenger seat as she thinks I'm always analysing what she's doing!

#11 05-06-08 09:42:17

AndyBerry

Well, it was this morning! Got graded a 4, so am slightly dissapointed but happy not to get an Educational!

He basically said that my recap at start was too general, needed to be more specific to last lesson, rather than part 3 style where you find out stuff relating to new topic. So we went off, she stalled a few times within first few minutes, so discarded lesson plan of dual carriageways and discussed clutch control instead. He said I perhaps could of dealt with that on the move by mentioning the extra weight of another person in the back and compensating for that with clutch control. Instead I covered clutch control moving off on flat and uphill which she got pretty quickly actually. So went back to brief bit of dual carriageway so as brief wasn't wasted entirely which he was extremely pleased to see me do.
I noticed a couple of slightly minor errors with a view to come back to them, but completely forgot so he marked me down a bit for them but understood that I had spotted them.
Also, he commented about the good rappor (spelling?!) me and the pupil had got as we were discussing other things to lighten the mood a little rather than having a completely stale environment, which he was happy to see as well.

Cheers for all the advice I got on here before hand!!!!!

Andy

#12 05-06-08 09:45:19

yasmin
Verified Member

Well done Andy. You can enjoy the summer now and a couple of years before your next one!

#13 05-06-08 09:55:45

AndyBerry

Now I know my weaknesses, I want another next week! Crazy huh?! Now I know what I've been doing inadequately, I'm going for a 6 next time!!!

#14 05-06-08 10:30:40

hector
Verified Member
Website

Got graded a 4, so am slightly dissapointed but happy not to get an Educational!

Andy you mis understand Educational, as do most SE's! You would have been better off with Educational, you could then have done another within 12 weeks to improve. Your stuck with your 4 now!

Good SE's will give E rather than a four. To give you a chance to improve without any loss of attempts.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#15 05-06-08 12:04:11

AndyBerry

i did think that nigel, i rather want to do it again now ! Least they'll leave me alone for a while.

#16 05-06-08 12:31:31

yasmin
Verified Member

When I got an E for my 1st CT it took them a year to call me for my next one!

#17 05-06-08 15:35:04

krato

hector are you suggesting that an se will disregard how the lesson actually went and tell some one that they are in effect sub-standard when they are not. as i see it a good se should award an adi the mark that the lesson warranted.

#18 05-06-08 17:16:06

hector
Verified Member
Website

A good SE will do this with a good ADI , one he/she knows is better than a 4.

Remember to get less than 4 you only have to have a slight weakness in one of the main areas.

Remember every grade 4 is a scrape. (Fire the abuse anyone who wants to but its true.) There is very little between 3 and 4. Most grade 4's who take the advice given will improve the grade easily next time.

Lessons that could be graded as a 4 or 3 may go either way dependent on whether the ADI is past the 12 month mark.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#19 05-06-08 17:44:39

krato

i was told by an seadi that when assessing check tests that there were no
iffy grades. iffy 6 graded 5 etc.

i thought that to get a grade 6  you had to have no significant weaknesses in the main areas.
grade 5 was minor weaknesses
grade 4 was minor deficiancies

as such for a grade 4 it was deficiancies in instructional technique as opposed to weaknesses.

i do agree though that politically a grade 4 may be given if it is past the 12 month of entry onto the register. less aggro for dsa

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#20 05-06-08 22:01:05

fidel
Verified Member
Website

[img=Verdana]I'm going for a 6 next time!!![/img]

thats it AndyBerry, best wishes
fidel

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#21 06-06-08 07:27:59

whodareswins
Verified Member

i do agree though that politically a grade 4 may be given if it is past the 12 month of entry onto the register. less aggro for dsa

Politics do not enter into the equation. If you have been on the register for more than 12 months leading up to your first checktest, an "Educational" grade cannot be given.

Also, I agree with Hector regarding a Grade 4 being a scrape. The ADI 1 is quite clear on this.

[quote author=DSA ADI 1]It should be made quite clear to those who are assessed as grade '4' that their instruction is at the minimum acceptable level.

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#22 06-06-08 07:37:08

yasmin
Verified Member

Well now I know that a Grade 4 is a 'scrape' I feel a whole lot better about my skills as an instructor. I shall now go out into the world with my confidence back down to where it was before I got my 5 passes in a row last month. My only consolation is that the majority of ADI's are also 'scrapes' and that my pupils seem to enjoy their lessons! sad

#23 06-06-08 17:55:10

krato

yasmin, over 60% of adis are grade 4 but it is still acceptable regardless of what has been said before. there are no doubtful grade 4s.
quoting from the Adi 1 "check test assessments should be precise, if you consider an adis standard to be a doubtful 4 then the lesson should be assessed as a graded 3".

educational if in the first 12 months of registration.

i agree that a grade 4 is the minimum acceptable standard but it is still acceptable. this is pointed out to the adi to try to encorouge him/her to improve. most adis are disppointed with a grade 4 and personal pride should be enough for them to act on the advice given and try to improve. that may be by seeking out professional advice or by using other resources that are readily available.

#24 06-06-08 18:52:44

hector
Verified Member
Website

yasmin

Im probably coming accross as thinking grade 4's are rubbish!

Seriously nothing could be further from the truth. The whole C/T is flawed. But its as it is and thats that. The best ADI's I know are grade 4.

They just dont quite know how to play the game, especially if they only played it once! For me grading means nothing, unless your in certain areas of the industry.

But one thing is for sure your grade and pass rate are totally and completely unrelated in any way!

Percy's quote above regarding the ADI 1 says it all about the DSA's views on grade 4's.
The DSA are very set in their ways and will not accept different ways of doing things even if it may achieve the same results.

If I come accross as grade means everything its definitey not the case.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#25 07-06-08 07:20:00

yasmin
Verified Member

Thanks for those replies guys. I'm one of those extra sensitive souls whose confidence is very easily knocked by negative comments but then it will be boosted by even the smallest atom of praise. I suspect thousands of pupils feel the same. I was disappointed with a 4 as I had put in extra training and my tutor had said my ideas were good. On the day, I still managed to do a touch of over instructing in the SE's eyes hence the grading. I hope I do improve for next time but as you say, there are lots of excellent instructors out there who haven't learned to 'play the game'. smile

Board footer