You are not logged in.

#1 06-06-08 11:55:42

Tracey89

Silly Question!

Hi all i am now havng driving lessons back home in North Yorkshire instead of at college due to getting bogged under with college work and since wedensday is my day off at colllege i use the whole day to do my work!

Anyway i had a lesson this morning and it went quite well apart from when we were in slow moving traffic where i procedded to stall the car twice, first time i think i got myself a bit mixed up and the 2nd time my instructor said it was because i brought the clutch up before i got my handbrake fully off.
How can i keep the car moving slowly along but also stop in good time in slow or non moving traffic?? and also if i fully stop shall i just put the handbrake on and get ready to move?

Thanks Guys!!

XxTJxX

xX.:Can we bring yesterday back around coz I know how I feel about you now....:.xX

*Theory Tessed passed on 20/06/08 - Questions: 48/50 & H&P: 51/75*

06-06-08 11:55:42

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Silly Question!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 06-06-08 18:18:43

ExAdiNigel

....How can i keep the car moving slowly along but also stop in good time in slow or non moving traffic??....

How do you keep the car moving slowly on manoeuvres?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 06-06-08 19:27:16

jem
Verified Member

When braking try gentle, firm, gentle. In other words brake so you feel you are stopping too early and then release the brake pedal slightly. If it's very slow moving traffic use your clutch control as you would with manoeuvres. (as Nigel has intimated)

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 06-06-08 20:36:26

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

How can i keep the car moving slowly along but also stop in good time in slow or non moving traffic?? and also if i fully stop shall i just put the handbrake on and get ready to move?

Forward planning helps. Look further up the road and try and reduce the amount of stops.
Clutch control takes practice, manouvres are a good way of practicing. Getting the right balance between the three pedals in slow conditions does not happen overnight.

In slow moving or stop/start traffic don't be too keen to use handbrake. If your only stopping for a second or two and applying handbrake, when you come off footbrake the brake lights go off, and following traffic may take this as your going to move forward and start moving before you do, when you see this happening in your mirror there is a tendancy for learners to rush the clutch and stall as they feel more pressurised.

When your stopping you should always be ready to move again anyway. Think what you do when you come to a closed junction, you stop check and if safe go don't you? It's the same thing, your just doing more of it.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#5 06-06-08 23:11:23

wolfchild08

I had trouble with this when I started my lessons.  Always try to plan and anticipate the actions of other road users before deciding what to do.  If you need to move very slowly get in first gear and use your clutch. If you need to stop for at least 2-3 seconds then use the handbrake.  I find that if I pace myself and go that little bit slower it avoids them panic sitchuations/stalls because I am giving myself more time and may not have to stop at all. Just pratice your clutch control as much as you can it will come.

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

Board footer