You are not logged in.

#1 04-06-08 16:10:08

Super Mario

Daft Question

Just wondering why is it you should always walk around the back of the car when exiting?  Is it because the driver will be moving forward when they are pulling away although how can you miss someone walking in front of you? Keep meaning to ask adi but forget.

04-06-08 16:10:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Daft Question

#2 04-06-08 16:15:06

VandADI
Administrator

If you are getting in, or out of a car, you should really approach from the back of the car, that way, approaching drivers can see you.  If you go around the front of a car you are more likely to "surprise" an approaching vehicle.
A driver should never move off when someone is walking around the back of a car, what if they accidentally rolled back?   wink

#3 04-06-08 16:29:13

Super Mario

Thank you very much.  big_smile big_smile 

#4 04-06-08 20:52:59

AndyBerry

Also by going around the front, you are more exposed as you have to go around the wing mirror. Much easier to be seen by other traffic when coming from behind your car as well.

Andy

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 05-06-08 00:18:01

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

We also teach to circle a car clockwise (if parked at the left hand kerb) so that you don't turn your back on approaching traffic.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#6 05-06-08 01:34:19

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

you are less likely to be run over?  big_smile

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#7 05-06-08 10:04:07

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Exactly, Keith!

It happened to a person walking along a paved road in a semi-rural area last year, he was off the paved area on the "dirt" but on the left hand side with his back to approaching traffic.
A drunken idiot in a 4WD veered off the road and ran the poor guy down from behind, killing him instantly.
I always endeavour to walk against the traffic flow if I am forced onto the road (very common here where footpaths are not always provided in some suburb streets!).

If I see someone coming towards me I want to assess their, er, driving style, and be ready to leap out of the way when required.
And in my area (Northern Territory) which has the highest crash rate in a country which itself has one of the highest crash rates among developed (?) nations, where drink driving is "the Aussie Way", it is a very serious consideration.

We have had very tragic accidents in the same ilk.
A poor woman crushed against the back of her estate car as she was attending to stuff at the rear -  also a soldier who stored his toolkit on the right hand side of his 4WD cargo area, broke down and went round the back to get to the tool kit, and was run over & killed by a car coming fast around a bend in misty weather.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer