You are not logged in.

#1 30-05-08 10:45:38

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

Does a funky or cool car mean more New Business?

Just wondering if anyone has found that a funky or cool car attracts New Business....?   For example, I want to buy a Yaris for its sheer reliability, but lets face it, it's not as funky / cool / sexy as say the new 3 door Corsa with alloys, or the Mini, or Suzuki Swift etc.  So have any of you found that cool cars attract new business?

Paul Cook, ADI, Grade 5, DIAmond Special Test

30-05-08 10:45:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Does a funky or cool car mean more New Business?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 30-05-08 12:09:18

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Yes and no!
(How's THAT for a definite answer?)

Much of my new business is recommendation by previous pupils, at a vague guess I would say this is 50% or more.

I can recall only one case where a new client during their first contact said something like "you got a Mitsubishi Lancer, right?" (my automatic car).
Down here in the Top End of Oz, the Lancer has a status secondary to the WRX as a cult car, though not in my staid, automatic version. Although with its light body & large 2.4L petrol 4-cylinder engine it is still very responsive of course.
When I picked him up for his first lesson he turned out to be a "musician" type not the least interested in power or pose value, he was "recommended to me because he wanted to be taught properly".

I rejected a Yaris in favour of a Swift because of the Yaris centre console, I like to see as much of the instrument panel as possible including the warning lights.
I acknowledge that the Swift doesn't have the proven reliability of the Yaris (no big problems reported with the Aussie petrol Swift though), and proven reliability was top of my list when I checked the Yaris out - I've just clocked 270,000 km in my 2000 model Corolla trainer that's about 170,000 miles, typical Toyota reliability.

Yet, when I ordered the new Swift, "cool funky popular etc" was large in my mind.
So who knows?

I'll be watching this thread for replies from UK ADIs with as much interest as you, Paul.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#3 30-05-08 15:06:10

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for your reply.  Let's watch this space then.....  In the meantime I'll hold off from buying the new Aston.....

#4 30-05-08 18:40:59

Disky
Verified Member
Website

Paul,, we all drive mini's, back page of the west lothian thompsons has our full page add on it, and 80% of calls we get want to drive a mini. That being said, we also have golf TDI and BMW 1 series.

However, most of my work comes from referrals.

Ray

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 30-05-08 19:36:59

neil8181
Verified Member

Just wondering if anyone has found that a funky or cool car attracts New Business....?  for example, I want to buy a Yaris for its sheer reliability, but lets face it, it's not as funky / cool / sexy as say the new 3 door Corsa with alloys, or the Mini, or Suzuki Swift etc.  So have any of you found that cool cars attract new business?

In a nutshell.....NO!

Got fiat punto, cheap as chips, not the best looking car yet never been busier.

It's YOU people come to not the car, besides the yaris is WELL funky inside, nearly got sucked into getting 1.4 diesel.
How sexy do do you want from it, sat nav and digital speedo as standard on diesel...NICE 8-)

Then realised bit pricey! End of the day it's a business and I got myself a 5/7 plate punto for half the price. Think hard before you commit deep.

Regards
Neil

Approved Driving Instructor
DSA Grade 6 Fleet Registered
A1 Assessor
NVQ Level 3 in Driving Instruction
Ambassador for BRAKE
ROSPA Gold

#6 30-05-08 19:51:50

hector
Verified Member
Website

How can a United fan talk such rubbish  big_smile big_smile big_smile

Ignore all that, what you want is big fat alloys, big engine, big exhaust, Metallic paint, The work will flood in....................

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#7 30-05-08 21:28:38

Lynne
Verified Member

I'm rushed off my feet not because of the car I have but by word of mouth.

My car only gets me work because a) they have a Focus in the family or mainly b) They're 6'4"+ and/or big strapping lads

#8 30-05-08 21:34:40

hector
Verified Member
Website

Lynne

Do you only take on 'big strapping lads'  big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

I only take out 'Big girls' in my Golf  big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 30-05-08 22:20:19

Lynne
Verified Member

Lynne

Do you only take on 'big strapping lads'  big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

I only take out 'Big girls' in my Golf  big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

Hector Nooooo you know what I mean..some tell me they don't fit in anything smaller and have rung me because they've seen the Focus. ..but I do have a b/friend of an ex pupil he's about 5'4" there's no discrimination  big_smile.

I was on a roll a while back I had one strapping lad (a pupil I don't need to rephrase this do I  he's the same age as my kids  roll ) and he told his even bigger mate; this guy literally had seat right down to the ground and as far back as it would go and he was still quite squashed. To make things worse these 2 looked kind of scarey they played in a band had funny hair stuff, goatee beards, piercings and tattoos but they're pussy cats.  Then they worked out I was one of their mate's Mum!  I did have a snigger to myself when I took them to the test centre to see the DE's faces when they called their name out  big_smile

#10 01-06-08 16:05:40

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

Right, I think I get the picture, i.e. the car isn't as important as I perhaps thought.  OK, i'm gonna get a Yaris then, because they're just so damn reliable and I don't want hassles, recalls, or any mechanical nigles.  Next question:

ALLOYS OR WHEEL TRIMS?  Surely, you'll all answer wheel trims, in that they're cheap and easy to replace when learners kerb your car. Or am I wrong?  (Bear in mind, if I sound niave it's 'cos I'm only a PDI currently studying part 3).  Look forward to your various thoughts....

#11 01-06-08 16:50:55

EDstart
Verified Member
Website

Get the car that is easiest to drive. Your pupils will think that you are good (not that you wouldn't be anyway  wink) as a result of them driving well in it!

I bought a Punto Sporting and although it was a slick looking car it was a ?????? to drive and my referral rate dropped big time. (just bought a 500 which is a piece of p*** to drive so hopefully things pick up once more!)

Get one with alloys. Just got to watch them when they are pulling up an hammer the focal point on early lessons to ensure that those lovely looking alloy wheels stay looking lovely!

Ed

#12 01-06-08 18:57:35

neil8181
Verified Member

Trims!

You'll cringe everytime you hear the grinding along the kerb.

I used to have peugeot 207 sport with alloys, it "drove" me mad!

Yaris is a neat car and probably reliable. I just got a punto and I find it no problem to teach in, just little adjusting to do.

I got a punto through recommendations on reliabilty and only cost me 6k for 2nd hand one with 1500 miles.

Try not to commit to big too soon.

A1 Assessor
Ambassador for BRAKE
ROSPA Gold

#13 01-06-08 19:40:30

AndyBerry

have trims, then go buy a cheap pair that look alright on the car instead of the originals. That way when you trade it in later, your trims still look brand new big_smile

#14 01-06-08 20:13:54

HereComesTrouble

Trims without a doubt.

Car? Yes I think it does help. I use a Focus 1.6TDci. Pupils love it. Corsa I had before, they loved it. Corsa before that, they loved it. Peugeot 206 before that..... you get the picture. I don't really think it matters, BUT do not buy a pink car!!!!

#15 02-06-08 07:09:21

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Get the yaris, and the trims.

Vauxhalls fall to bits, fords aren't reliable either, Suzukis just look plain odd (trying too hard to be a mini) and the mini is just expensive.

The cool car would bring in more work though, but it would be the unreliable fashion victims who would be phoning!

Anyway, the Yaris can look cool too, I loved it. I've now got the most boring granny car in the world - a Honda Jazz Auto!

#16 02-06-08 08:30:52

hector
Verified Member
Website

The Jazz is the best drivers car out of the lot! The best car and massively underrated

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#17 02-06-08 12:31:45

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

(it is actually rather nice!!!)

#18 03-06-08 16:11:07

samds
Verified Member
Website

I've now got a Corsa Sxi alloys and the Yaris auto trims (both red) The Yaris looks just as 'cool' as the Corsa.

Yaris has lots of storage space, comfortable (ish) but I would prefer if the passenger seat would go a little further back.

Wonder how long it'll be until the Vauxhall is recalled??

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#19 03-06-08 22:39:28

Louisa
Verified Member

Hi Paul, I bought a new yaris 1.4 SR diesel - with alloys and love it.  I ve had it 7 months and touch wood the alloys are still perfect, i warn pupils that i ll batter them if they scratch them, so they re careful but at the end of the day it would nt really bother me..... well i ll let you know when they do smile  I looked at all the cars and have to say im glad i made my choice with the yaris, its so easy to drive and is very forgiving to the pupils. I think the colour makes some difference...well to me anyway.  Mines bright blue - you cant miss it. The grey ones look a little dull and boring but thats up to the individuals choice i guess, let us know what you decide!!

Louisa smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PXGn42tCbc

This is what qualifying as an ADI makes you do!!! smile yes its me smile

www.drivingschoolsloughborough.com

#20 04-06-08 06:43:17

la.monikita
Verified Member

Get the car that is easiest to drive. Your pupils will think that you are good (not that you wouldn't be anyway  wink) as a result of them driving well in it!

I bought a Punto Sporting and although it was a slick looking car it was a ?????? to drive and my referral rate dropped big time. (just bought a 500 which is a piece of p*** to drive so hopefully things pick up once more!)

Get one with alloys. Just got to watch them when they are pulling up an hammer the focal point on early lessons to ensure that those lovely looking alloy wheels stay looking lovely!

Ed

you have Fiat 500? is it a diesel. that is such a cute car! I'm thinking about Fiat Panda as a next training car. there will be a 4x4 with a 1.3 diesel engine. I'm thinking about the fuel economy. My current corsa is good, the older shape. I have a hired new shape corsa diesel. It's a heavier car, fuel consumption's up. It cost me £70 in a week. Only do £50 in my old corsa. So Panda being lighter should be even better for fuel. More dosh in my pocket. Hopefully won't need new gearbox after 45k  roll. Intelligent 4 wheel drive...go anywhere...great big_smile and NORMAL indicator stalk...I wonder how long this new indicators are going to be lasting on the corsa's, bit of a pain if I'm to be polite  roll

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#21 04-06-08 07:56:15

neil8181
Verified Member

Some interesting points made:

Storage :?

Alloys :?

The pupils don't care as long as it's upto date. Unless your using it for private use as well then fair enough get the extras but I never get calls like "I'm looking to learn to drive, does your car have good storage and alloys?".

The car does NOT matter!

A1 Assessor
Ambassador for BRAKE
ROSPA Gold

#22 04-06-08 08:17:46

Target
Verified Member
Website

Interesting comments.

I guess by having a funky cool car you may attract certain types of pupils but at the same time you may alienate some others. A mini may be ideal for 17-21 but will you attract the older clients also.

Choosing the right car however is important. Not only for the instructor but also for your pupils, this could be the first point of contact.

I always feel its how you sell the product also. On the conterary I get alot of people calling and asking what car I use, and thats before they have even asked the prices. Ive actaully lost pupils because I have the wrong car, but not so many that im looking to change.

One who stared recently wanted something similiar to her own but knew there were not many instructors with Honda Civics. Its just how the customer sees them.

Personally for me its an important decision, not only for business but also for personal use. We all attract different clients, and it seems important to people here.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

Board footer