You are not logged in.

#1 22-05-08 21:56:38

redkye
Verified Member

automatic

I am thinking of expanding into automatics has anyone got any advice on what car to go for and which to avoid?

22-05-08 21:56:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: automatic

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 02-06-08 18:19:45

johnp
Verified Member

It depends on what work you wish to do.
If you see it as an extension of manual instruction, then a MMT semi automatic or Multi mode manual is OK. That is a car with an automatic clutch. Or CVT Constantly variable transmission eg Honda Jazz.

If you are going to move into disability then I would advise a fully automatic box. That is a torque converter which does not roll back and creeps forward.
The delay on the others when using hand controls can be quite marked and the car can roll back. The client is often unable to use the handbrake so it becomes too complicated and potentially dangerous. Parking is much easier with a TC.

I have used Daihatsu. They have always been the best for full auto small cars.
The problem is they use 10% more fuel so the dealerships are retreating from conventional boxes. 

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#3 02-06-08 20:34:31

samds
Verified Member
Website

I've got the Toyota Yaris MMT.  Hated it at first but I'm really getting into it and the pupils love it.

If it's a second car you need to keep costs low for both manual and auto.  If one car is doing less
mileage you can afford to take it over a longer period or get someone in to pickup extra hours.

I took my auto on a short term lease to try it out, going to buy it now.

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#4 02-06-08 20:40:23

johnp
Verified Member

I have fought cases with my Toyota who sell the MMt without telling clients it is a clutchless manual. They advertise them as 'automatic'

If they cannot use the handbrake and have diifficulty with gas control they find them dangerous to drive.

depends on your clientel

Driving is books-

#5 02-06-08 22:48:42

redkye
Verified Member

Thanks for the advice guys, i am thinking of expanding into autos as we get a few enquiries but have no facility for them at the moment, i had not thought of the disability side will have to look into it.
i think i will have to look into a TC system and then could hasve that option.
once again many thanks

#6 10-06-08 21:01:49

johnp
Verified Member

The market for disability must be 20% of the nation and then the elderly is a huge market. I am never without work, but for some reason I am one of the very few who are experienced in this work. I have no idea why!

Driving is books-

#7 11-06-08 22:06:42

Target
Verified Member
Website

I am never without work, but for some reason I am one of the very few who are experienced in this work. I have no idea why!

Basic training and structure of courses. Everything is geared ( no pun ) towards manual. You take your part 2/3 in a manual car.

The markets changing thou, but its no easy ride and cannot be assumed their be enough work in auto, different areas, and alot still needing that double licence for work, or sharing the parents car.

For an Adis its near non viable to run 2 cars as this is our biggest expense.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

Board footer