You are not logged in.

#1 26-05-08 14:36:54

Legolas

Positioning

Hello this is my first post big_smile

I've been learning to drive now for almost a year and still have problems with certain areas, one of the main problems I have is positioning, I always have a problem trying to judge how close I am to parked cars and the curb sometimes so I end up either getting too close (knocking the mirror off once  sad ) or too far and almost going into the other lane. Is there any way to improve my positioning? My instructor says to keep checking my left mirror but im too scared of taking my eyes off the road!

26-05-08 14:36:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Positioning

#2 26-05-08 17:46:16

neil8181
Verified Member

Look well ahead.
Don't grip your wheel.
Less space, less speed!
Try these first if these don't work try the next.

Set reference points maybe, get your ideal distance away from a parked vehicle, glance to the bottom left of your windscreen and take a mental picture of where the tyres of the parked vehicle join you front windown(geneally about 3/4's of the way across the windscreen.".
Try not to stare at this reference point, it will bring you closer, reference points are just that, they are there to refer to.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Approved Driving Instructor
DSA Grade 6 Fleet Registered
A1 Assessor
NVQ Level 3 in Driving Instruction
Ambassador for BRAKE
ROSPA Gold

#3 26-05-08 22:33:28

Legolas

Thanks for the tips, i'll try them out when I go for my next lesson smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 26-05-08 22:34:04

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

You might also try scanning near, middle and far distance more as well. Lot's of people struggle with spatial awareness, it often just takes more practice.

One other thing to consider is if you spend a lot of time as a passenger then sit behind the driver. If your used to viewing things more from the passenger side than the drivers side you'll take longer to adapt to the different perspective.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#5 26-05-08 23:32:38

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

sounds Crazy, BUT "look at what you want to hit", in your case you want to "hit" the middle of the road, as mentioned above, this can be done by looking as far along the road as possible, then to middle distance then near foreground.

ref points can help as well, get your instructor to take you to a quiet road, then stop in the centre and find where the kerb "strikes" your windscreen, that is now your ref point, whilst driving by parked cars, substitute the kerb for bottom of parked cars tyres.

another way is like your instructor mentioned, check nearside mirror(quick glance) to see distance from kerb, back to windscreen then check off side mirror(quick glance) to see distance from centre line, if both are the same distance, your in the middle.

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

Board footer