You are not logged in.

#1 24-05-08 12:08:40

jo

Roundabouts

I was out on a driving lesson with my father the other night and got to a roundabout I have driven round a hundred times before.  As I approached the roundabout on the inside lane, intending to take the exit straight ahead, my mind went completely blank.  There are two lanes approaching the roundabout and as I said earlier, I was in the left-hand lane on approach.  There are two lanes going around the roundabout.  There were a lot of cars already on the roundabout on the inside lane closest to the actual roundabout and only the odd car on the outside lane which I wanted to join.  For some inexplicable reason I couldn't remember whether I had to wait and see if any of the cars on the inside lane were going to change their minds at the last second and suddenly decide to move across onto the lane I intended to join, even though none of them appeared to be indicating any such intention, or, regardless of them being on the inside lane whether I could just join on the outside lane anyway and go on my merry way. I seemed to be sitting at the entrance to the roundabout for ages trying to work out what I should do. It was only when the motorist waiting behind me sounded his horn that I decided to chance it and join the roundabout.  Since that day I have tried to avoid any routes that have roundabouts on them, which I find severely limits the number of roads I can actually drive on.  I hope you will understand what I am trying to ask here as having re-read this msg to myself it sounds like a load of gobbledygook.  I can only assume that my mind has gone blank because of my age and maybe I am going through a mid-life crisis - I'm 47! 

24-05-08 12:08:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Roundabouts

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 24-05-08 12:17:08

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Hiya Jo,

Age has nothing to do with it, and well done for you taking the plunge as a learner!

Try going over that roundabout as a passenger so you can get a good look of its layout, lane markings etc, get it straight in your mind where you need to be for the exit you want.
Then get right back on that horse and conquer it!

Good Luck  smile

#3 25-05-08 23:32:21

jackie99100

Hi Jo,Just to let you know that when i was learning to drive i used to have lots of moments when my mind would just go blank (i haven't had a lesson for so long i have forgotten how to drive  :cry: ) anyway Binty is right and all i can suggest is that they demolish all roundabouts big_smile big_smile

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 25-05-08 23:59:09

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

For some inexplicable reason I couldn't remember whether I had to wait and see if any of the cars on the inside lane were going to change their minds at the last second and suddenly decide to move across onto the lane I intended to join, even though none of them appeared to be indicating any such intention

as Binty mentioned, try to get someone to drive onto and around the roundabout with you as a passenger, try it a few times.

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#5 26-05-08 08:10:31

iwanadrive

I have had this happen to me many times, i suddenly go up to something and then forget how i am meant to approach it and go round it.  If i don't think about it then usually i'm fine!  You do need to conquer that fear though and keep doing that roundabout until you can do it no probs.

#6 03-06-08 21:58:23

purrfectsystems
Verified Member
Website

I agree with the excellent advice from you guys, ( including demolish all roundabouts  big_smile)
sounds to me ( but I may be wrong of course) that you need to work on your anticipation and all round awareness, try looking and thinking a lot further ahead, it will come with practice, you are only being human and roundabouts in general can be very scary things to all of us until we get used to them.
I'm sure all you driving instructors agree that most learner drivers have a psychological problem in dealing with them, with practice this gets easier for everyone smile

Board footer