You are not logged in.

#1 23-05-08 15:41:41

Super Mario

Commentary Driving

How do I use commentary driving.  Would this be an ok example? "Looking ahead I'm approaching a junction and upon assesing the junction I have decided it is an open junction because I can see clearly on approach both ways.  I can see it's clear in both directions so I am deciding that I will not need to stop and I will carry on going when I reach the end of the road.

23-05-08 15:41:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Commentary Driving

#2 23-05-08 16:41:10

MiniClassic
Verified Member

That's the basics of it, but I imagine your instructor will be looking for a bit more...

'looking ahead I see a junction so I check my rear mirror, seeing a car at a safe following distance, and my left mirror (if turning left!). I signal left. I now slow down to 20 & change down to 2nd. After bringing the clutch up I continue to slow to 10 while observing. I can see it's an open junction so look right, left and right again... it's all clear so I decide to go.'

I'll be honest & it's a while since I've practised it, but you have to talk through everything you do. & there's always more than you think!

Ambition Driving College

#3 24-05-08 04:46:06

ExAdiNigel

Leave out the waffle otherwise you are talking much more than you need to.  So, taking the above example.....

In far distance, warning sign for left junction, planning to go left, {when closer to junction}   checking centre & left mirror, car at a safe following distance, signal left. slowing down, open junction, good visibility left & right, clear to go, change gear, {once in new road} Check mirror, accelerating, change gear etc etc

Commentary, like everything else in driving, can vary a lot from person to person so you will get lots of differing versions, I find it easier to give the bullet points rather than a conversational narrative.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 24-05-08 15:12:59

howly
Verified Member
Website

think about what you want to achieve by commentating, eg, do you want to improve hazard awareness, hazard drill procedure etc.

relate your commentary to that element of driving, so with hazard awareness start by simply identifying each hazard as you see it.  once your happy with this include your plan of action to negotiate hazard.

hope this helps.

chris

Board footer