You are not logged in.

#1 18-06-06 14:39:20

jonks

Kia Rio

Kia Rio

If you use, or have used this kind of car for driving instruction, please tell us what you think of it as training car.

18-06-06 14:39:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Kia Rio

#2 22-05-08 15:38:05

redkye
Verified Member

I bought a rio last year and it was a fantastic car to drive and instruct in, on the down side a little thirsty. No problems for the 1st 10000 miles but the day i picked it up from its 1st service there was a problem with the engine, it took them 7500 miles and a lot of toing and froing and eventualy they fitted a new engine only to find that it was faulty and that there were no more new engines in the uk. the warranty works that they take a part off and get it checked usually 24 to 48 hours and if that part is ok then they will go to another part so it can be time consuming. in total it took 3 weeks. (ouch)
Another school that uses the rio has had similar problems with engines and gearboxes. i am at present taking the local dealership to court to try to recoup  some of the expenses from hiring a replacement, they seem to think that I should have had insurance for any problems with a brand new car???
The only consolation is that I have already put off 3 people from making the same mistake that I Have I will keep trying to save everybody.
I have now gone back to a Yaris as the local dealer has a dual controlled spare especially for instructors.
BE WARNED

#3 22-05-08 15:58:28

VandADI
Administrator

Hi redkye
I was seriously considering buying a Kia Rio as an Instructor Car and am glad now that I didn't.  One of the deciding factors was that I didn't see many about as instructor cars - I now know why wink yikes

#4 22-05-08 16:04:07

redkye
Verified Member

Hi Vanda, glad to be of service best advice i can give is find a dealer that will look after you.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 28-05-08 11:08:43

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

I can't comment on the Rio, but I've got a Picanto and my experience with the dealer couldn't be more different.

I had a problem with 4th gear dropping out after about 200 miles. They took the car in and rather than messing with it, simply changed the box in an afternoon.

Last year, the fuel sensor got burned out by a pupil who decided to freeze on the throttle in heavy traffic. About 30 seconds of full revs in a situation where I couldn't safely brake to stall the car out. The garage knew it was pupil abuse but changed the sensor under warranty anyway.

I've moved now and hope that the local dealer is as good as the first one. If not, I'll take it back to the old one and use the trip for a visit to friends.

BTW, the old dealer was Fine Cars in Lee on The Solent near Portsmouth. Great guys, can't say enough good things about them.

Good luck with the new car.

When it gets to the stage of sadobestionecrophilia, give up: Otherwise known as flogging a dead horse!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk

Board footer