You are not logged in.

#1 14-05-08 18:11:00

infectedcat

Xbox 360 if anyone can help

What is the name of the fan that cools the car radiator or cools the water that passes through the engine?

Iv noticed a fan part that is in front of another part and that part is filled with coolant and water etc.

But when i turn the engine on the fan doesn't turn. Is the fan electrically powered or does it turn when air passes through it (when the car is moving)

My car is overheating when i am in a Que is the above most likely the problem? and does anyone have any ideas how much it would cost to get the fan up and running again?

any help would be  fantastic, out of the world, spectacular, ace, sweet, great, & smashin.

14-05-08 18:11:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Xbox 360 if anyone can help

#2 14-05-08 18:20:35

Kev D
Verified Member

sounds more likely to be the thermostat as it may not be switching on the fan when the engine reaches the nominated temperature.  The fan switches on when the engine is over a certain temperature, and off again once it has cooled below a certain temperature.

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 14-05-08 18:34:24

VandADI
Administrator

What is the name of the fan that cools the car radiator or cools the water that passes through the engine?

Iv noticed a fan part that is in front of another part and that part is filled with coolant and water etc.

But when i turn the engine on the fan doesn't turn. Is the fan electrically powered or does it turn when air passes through it (when the car is moving)

My car is overheating when i am in a Que is the above most likely the problem? and does anyone have any ideas how much it would cost to get the fan up and running again?

any help would be  fantastic, out of the world, spectacular, ace, sweet, great, & smashin.

Forgive me for asking, but what has this got to do with Xbox 360?

#4 14-05-08 18:40:07

Kev D
Verified Member

I'm think that for helping I will receive an Xbox 360........thats how I read it, and now its a written contract lol.

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

#5 14-05-08 18:56:28

VandADI
Administrator

Perhaps infectedcat is referring to a game on xbox?  tongue

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 14-05-08 19:16:11

infectedcat

sounds more likely to be the thermostat as it may not be switching on the fan when the engine reaches the nominated temperature.  The fan switches on when the engine is over a certain temperature, and off again once it has cooled below a certain temperature.

sounds logical but i will have to go to my garage and see what he says. i always back myself up With logic b4 i speak to people that can help me that way i can get the person who i need help from on the same track as me. assuming that track is the right one.

#7 14-05-08 19:19:01

infectedcat

infectedcat wrote:

Forgive me for asking, but what has this got to do with Xbox 360?

I for give you smile

Well i thought i would give away an xbox if someone could help me out. As you can see i still need help so there 4 the xbox is still available.

#8 14-05-08 23:26:49

AndyBerry

You could also be suffering from a clogged radiator or an inefficient coolant mixture. A clogged air filter can also cause cars to get warm! Once the weather gets warmer, all the little baby flies come out to play and unfortunately get sucked into your radiator through the grill at the front. They then clog it up, making it very inefficient in cooling the car. Might be worth having a quick look under the bonnet to see if you can see a large number of flies sticking out the radiator. If there's a lot, a short blast with a pressure washer through the grill could cure it.

Andy

#9 15-05-08 23:22:21

dog
Verified Member

The cooling fan will only come on at a set temperature, for a petrol car it's probably somewhere between 90 and 100 degrees celcius. If it's not coming on and your coolant is hitting these sort of temps then I'd get the car checked out asap, could possibly be a broken thermostat.

The fan is powered by the battery but it consumes a LOT of juice...

You can probably get it on manually if you disconnect the thermostat, I know it works on my car as it defaults to ON if the thermostat is disconnected. What car is it?

#10 17-05-08 23:59:59

infectedcat

You can probably get it on manually if you disconnect the thermostat, I know it works on my car as it defaults to ON if the thermostat is disconnected. What car is it?

Hi dog, yes thats correct.... the fan isn't turning and I'm hitting around 100 to 110 c which is crazy i know. But i kinda switch the engine off when I'm stuck in a que but i can't keep this up for long.

I will get it checked out when i get the time but in the mean time can you tell me where the thermostat is located on a Peugeot 306??? its a petrol. & how easy is it to manually disconnect the thermostat?

#11 18-05-08 00:09:10

AndyBerry

Just a thought... if you feel comfortable, check the cooling fan fuse (there is usually one!)

Andy

#12 18-05-08 00:19:38

infectedcat

Just a thought... if you feel comfortable, check the cooling fan fuse (there is usually one!)

Andy

Yeah i actually thought about that and even went as far as looking it up in my manual but i could not find any information on the fuse for the fan.

There are so many fuse colours and numbers it's hard to tell which one it is. It could simply be a blown fuse and iv been told its east to tell if a fuse has blown. Does anyone know what colour fuse/number?? It's possible that most cars could use the same colours and numbers for parts in a car. 

#13 18-05-08 00:47:27

AndyBerry

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/fuses/fuses … elist7.htm
I guess you want fuse F3 - am a bit drunk so can't be bothered to read it properly! Could also be F33 ( further down page)

Andy

#14 18-05-08 07:49:33

infectedcat

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/fuses/fuses … elist7.htm
I guess you want fuse F3 - am a bit drunk so can't be bothered to read it properly! Could also be F33 ( further down page)

Andy

I found the same website the other night the problem is there are diffrent types of 306 fuse layouts. I could only find 2 306 layouts and these are the fuses they could be
f40, f37, f2, f3, f7, f33. Im off to check them now.

#15 18-05-08 21:44:56

dog
Verified Member

Well it just so happens I have a Peugeot 306 as well. What size engine is yours? If it's a 1.4 or 1.6 then it will be the same engine as mine...so...

To check if the cooling fan actually works the easiest thing you can do, while the engine is off, is disconnect the brown plug at the bottom right of the rocker cover. It's this one:

dsc01370dq2.jpg

If it has never been unplugged before it will have a thin metal clip holding the plug on, this just slides off towards the left (don't lose it though).

Then you can just pull the plug off like so:

(sorry autofocus didn't kick in properly in the bad light)

dsc01371fa6.jpg

After you have unplugged it leave the bonnet up and start the engine, walk around to the front of the car and you should hear the fans kick in a few seconds later. If they haven't come on after about 20 seconds then you have a problem.

#16 19-05-08 12:51:18

infectedcat

Well it just so happens I have a Peugeot 306 as well. What size engine is yours? If it's a 1.4 or 1.6 then it will be the same engine as mine...so...

To check if the cooling fan actually works the easiest thing you can do, while the engine is off, is disconnect the brown plug at the bottom right of the rocker cover. It's this one:

dsc01370dq2.jpg

If it has never been unplugged before it will have a thin metal clip holding the plug on, this just slides off towards the left (don't lose it though).

Then you can just pull the plug off like so:

(sorry autofocus didn't kick in properly in the bad light)

dsc01371fa6.jpg

After you have unplugged it leave the bonnet up and start the engine, walk around to the front of the car and you should hear the fans kick in a few seconds later. If they haven't come on after about 20 seconds then you have a problem.

Fantatstic dog, i have never seen help any clear than the above & yes my car is a 1.6 306.

I will go and try it later and post back.

Because i have doubt that this may not work i will ask these questions now lol.

What if the fan doesnt turn? What would the problem most likely be? 

It can't be the fuse as i have checked the fuse for the cooling fan and it has not blown.

Thanx for the help.

#17 19-05-08 15:58:05

dog
Verified Member

Could be the fan itself is ?????? (easy and cheap fix) or a relay somewhere maybe. I really can't think of anything else.

I'd be surprised if they don't come on once you disconnect that plug, I've never heard of a broken cooling fan, only a broken thermostat.

#18 21-05-08 19:21:04

dog
Verified Member

By the lack of response I'm guessing it didn't work then.

#19 23-05-08 09:17:00

infectedcat

By the lack of response I'm guessing it didn't work then.

You guessed wrong it did work (nahh it never). I disconnected the cable but no luck. I assumed exactly the same thing you where thinking "I'd be surprised if they don't come on once you disconnect that plug, I've never heard of a broken cooling fan, only a broken thermostat." Well something along thos lines.

Anyway i took it to the garage and he said it could be the gasket which will cost £300 to repair. Cant remember if it was gasket he said or something else but i remember when he told me that it wont be cheap. There is no way im paying 300 squidsssss. Might as well make a home made fan.

#20 23-05-08 22:34:46

dog
Verified Member

He's seen you coming! Which gasket did he say it was? By the price I'm assuming the head gasket...which to be honest is *****!. Go elsewhere, this guy is trying to swindle you out of your money.

#21 24-05-08 08:09:51

Dundeeguy
Verified Member

Make sure the fan can turn by hand. Sometimes they stick during the cold spells as they don't come on so much. If it does spin look at the radiator and see if there is a a connection screwed into it. If it has 2 wires remove the plug and short them together and turn the ignition on. If it now works replace the sensor in the radiator.

Your saying it doesn't come on at 100-110. How far from the red is the needle on the gauge? Is the red stop light coming on? If not then it is usually ok. Does it reach the high temp quickly? If not then head gasket prob ok, but, these cars are real guilty for the gaskets and thats a good price you were told!

#22 24-05-08 12:17:24

dog
Verified Member

I think on the petrol 306's, the red bit starts at 110.

Did you say you had checked the fuses? The ones for the cooling fan are in the fusebox under the bonnet - I believe there are 2 different fuses (one of them does just the fan, the other does the fan and dashboard).

#23 25-05-08 10:21:34

infectedcat

Your saying it doesn't come on at 100-110. How far from the red is the needle on the gauge? Is the red stop light coming on? If not then it is usually ok. Does it reach the high temp quickly? If not then head gasket prob ok, but, these cars are real guilty for the gaskets and thats a good price you were told!

The red light comes on when it gets passed 90 around 94 95....the red stop light comes on. But it doesn't reach high temp quickly. All this only happens when the car has stopped because of a que of traffic or at a set of traffic lights when moving temp goes down.

#24 25-05-08 10:24:55

infectedcat

I think on the petrol 306's, the red bit starts at 110.

Did you say you had checked the fuses? The ones for the cooling fan are in the fusebox under the bonnet - I believe there are 2 different fuses (one of them does just the fan, the other does the fan and dashboard).

Ohhhhhh really. I thought all fuses where near the drivers seat under the steering wheel, there the only ones iv checked. Didn't know there are fuses under the bonnet. Can you take a picture of the fuse box you are taking about and post it on here????

#25 26-05-08 17:01:19

dog
Verified Member

dsc01442cp9.jpg

Just unclips at the front.

What year is your car? My Haynes manual says the fuses are slightly different on the different phase 306's.

Board footer