You are not logged in.

#1 18-05-08 13:00:08

RhiannonxXx

90 degree reversing

Hello peeps,

I thought i'd ask you good folk for any advice about reversing, especially the 90 degree turn.

I'm  learing in an automatic and find it difficult to keep a continous slow speed and end up going a bit too fast or pausing and messing it up. My instructor tells me that the car must keep moving at all times but i've read on the internet that it is ok for the car to pause now and again. Has anyone got any tips on how to keep an automatic going dead slow without releasing the brake pedal too much, which obvioysly speeds the car up?

Thankyou for any advice,

Rhiannon x

18-05-08 13:00:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 90 degree reversing

#2 18-05-08 14:32:50

ExAdiNigel

Has your instructor given you any reason why the car must keep moving?  I can't think of any personally!

What sort of automatic do you have?  Does the car creep when in gear and no brake applied?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 18-05-08 15:46:50

RhiannonxXx

Hi Nigel, thanks for the reply.

There was no reason given as to why the car should always be moving (apart from the stopping point before the turn) So i assumed a moving car was mandatory for the manoeuvre.

I cannot remember the car i'm driving lol but yeah it moves when no brake is applied but i need to use some brake, otherwise the car goes too fast. Thats the bit i find the hardest. I'm not keeping a steady pace. I flirt between a dead slow crawl, too fast or i  stop for a split second but when i do stop a few times, i do end up completing the reverse o.k.

#4 18-05-08 15:55:19

ExAdiNigel

The criteria for performing the manoeuvre is safety!  To be safe you must keep the car slow and be very observant.  If you find it easier to stop to carry out the observations then that it fine.  You will find that your movement will become smoother as you practise more, so don't worry overly.

Good luck

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 18-05-08 21:38:16

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

There are two elements to all the manouvres. Control and observation. Whilst reversing you must make effective all round oservations and keep the car under control. However there is no rule that says you must keep moving. Keeping slow steady speed is preferably as it demonstrates good control. But it is not essential. As with most aspects of driving the control improves with experience. I would be extremely surprised if on an L test any examiner were to give a fault just because you stopped a few times. It is better to do the manouvre slower (and even stop if you need to) than to try and keep moving and miss the observations.
As for your question on keeping an automatic slow. You have answered it yourself, don't release the brake so much. You need to caress the brake pedal (sometimes referred to as feathering the brake). When your using it at very low speed if you press too firm to stop or slow you will find you bring your foot up too much when you want to creep again and the car will go faster than you want. Ask your instructor to let you practice keeping the car very very slow going forward just feathering the brake so you get more used to the amount of pressure you need to adjust by. Then try very slow straight line reversing then move onto manouvering again. Sometimes trying to do it all at once you use more pressure on the brake than you intend.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#6 19-05-08 13:29:56

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Apply the brake pedal with your heel on the floor.
Bring it up carefully, as soon as the car shows signs of moving forward, freeze your foot position (heel MUST be on the floor).
To adjust the car's speed, make a very small change of the brake pedal pressure, but using only your ANKLE JOINT, then hold still again.
It's best to practice this technique at first without doing an actual manoeuvre so that you can get comfortable with the technique.
I give all my pupils this exercise before they attempt any manoeuvre requiring slow-speed control (in conjunction with steering technique).
In manual cars it incorporates fine clutch & brake control, in automatics it incorporates the technique I mentioned above.

When turning full-lock there is extra rolling resistance, if you quickly bring the wheel to centre after a full lock turn you will feel the vehicle pick up up speed - it's good to recognise this effect and to be ready to compensate for it when it occurs.

It is also common for students to tense up when turning the wheel quickly, there is a tendency to "brace" oneself using your legs.
I've found that a lot of novice drivers tend to subconsciously lift a leg while pulling hard at the wheel and this usually results in an increase of vehicle speed - just when it is least wanted!

This is why I spend a bit of extra time doing what I call "slow-speed manoeuvres" before we actually start to park or whatever.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer