You are not logged in.

#1 13-05-08 10:17:23

krismcmillan
Verified Member

Failed Part 1

Morning

I have just failed the adi 1 part, I got 90 on the theory but only 47 on the hazard perception part.  Any ideas on how to pass hazard would be useful.

Part One: Passed 21/06/08
Part Two: Passed 9/10/08
Part Three: Failed 26/05/09

13-05-08 10:17:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Failed Part 1

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 13-05-08 12:40:57

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

You might find that as an experienced driver you are spotting potential hazards before a learner would, and therefore clicking too early (before the scoring starts)...this is what happened to my on my first bash at pt1...see the hazard...check mirror....click, couple of seconds....then click again.
Worked for me 2nd attempt was a pass, good luck  smile

#3 13-05-08 12:49:43

charlessandilands
Verified Member

hi kris

my sympathies - i failed part 1 too last week. However, I'm now working with LDC DVDs and I'm finding their clips much more like the exam clips than the Focus ones I was using before. They also have practice clips where you can analyse where you went wrong.

Good luck the next time! My next try is 2nd June.

Charles

#4 13-05-08 14:53:05

MiniClassic
Verified Member

I teach my pupils to do a 3-click technique...

The first is when you first spot a hazard, which is when you'd check the mirror in real life driving.

The second is if the hazard devolops and you'd be off the accelerator pedal.

The third is when you'd be actively braking or swerving in real life.

Doing this means even if you click too early on the first one you should then get a safe banker score & a last chance back up as well. It's similar to what Binty suggests, but rather than waiting for 'a couple of seconds' you're still responding to the clip. In some the scoring window is a lot shorter than in others.

Best of luck to you ( & Charles) on your 2nd attempts.

Andy.

Ambition Driving College

#5 18-05-08 12:56:24

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Hi,

If its any consilation, I'm revising for Part 1 and struggling with the HPT. I'm hoping that by the time my DSA application gets returned i will be ready. I'm doing so well at the Q's its a bit disappointing that i'm not doing so well on the HPT. When im reviewing my clips, i'm seeing that i've clicked a mm before the 5 score, its so frustrating. Good luck for your 2nd attempt.  smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#6 18-05-08 14:34:33

ExAdiNigel

Get your trainer to sit down with you and give you the support you are paying for.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 20-05-08 21:20:47

Mat_Leeke
Verified Member
Website

I teach my pupils to do a 3-click technique...

This was also what I was taught! And it worked for me. I would also recommend lots of practice. Do you have practice CD-Roms? I had 2 and it certainly helped using them both and the more I practiced, the better I became at spotting the hazards mainly because you become more able to guess what they are and where they are going to come from.

Mat

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (car)

www.adi-mat.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 21-05-08 05:30:25

ExAdiNigel

...the more I practiced, the better I became at spotting the hazards

This is the key bit.  There is no reason to fail if the proper preparation is done.

mainly because you become more able to guess what they are and where they are going to come from.

Mat

Guess?  You don't need to guess what the hazards are!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#9 21-05-08 09:56:07

MiniClassic
Verified Member

I'm 'guessing' Mat didn't pick his word carefully enough...

Without putting words in his mouth, I imagine he meant that you can anticipate what kind of hazards will appear on what kind of road given enough practice.

So, on the country roads, it is often approaching traffic in narrow sections, or animals/pedestrians in the road.

On dual carriageways it is 'normally' people changing lane at the last moment/without signalling, or spotting cars further up the road responding to something like a slow car/cyclist.

And so on... it's not guessing, it's doing what we should, & I'm sure we all do, when we're driving in real life - adapting expected hazards to the road type & conditions facing us.

Andy.

Ambition Driving College

#10 21-05-08 10:43:04

krismcmillan
Verified Member

Thanks fro the feedback, still revising and hopefully be able to crack Part 1 and move on.

Part One: Passed 21/06/08
Part Two: Passed 9/10/08
Part Three: Failed 26/05/09

Board footer