You are not logged in.

#1 08-05-08 21:22:25

Shazzer

percentage of fails required?? rumor or not?

I have heard through a colleague who is friends with a driving examiner -examiner (if that makes sense) that the examiners are expected to pass and fail certain percentages of the tests.
Is this just a vicious rumor?? If not, is it best to take a test at the start of the month? or best at the end and hope the Fail percentage has been met!!

08-05-08 21:22:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: percentage of fails required?? rumor or not?

#2 08-05-08 21:31:13

ExAdiNigel

Rumor or not?    It's the biggest load of b*ll*cks out!  There are NO quotas!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 08-05-08 21:32:06

VandADI
Administrator

#4 08-05-08 21:33:46

Shazzer

I presumed so Nigel, but thought, to be on the safe side i'd ask!! unless you're all sworn to secrecy of course...... wink

#5 08-05-08 21:42:52

wolfchild08

Surely they wouldnt be that stupid - letting someone who is potentially dangerous have a license for stats purposes and therefore increasing the rate of accidents on the roads.  I dont believe this crap lol

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

#6 08-05-08 21:48:49

Shazzer

The way it was worded, it was supposed to be more the other way round, failing people who are capable, so the money keeps coming in..

#7 08-05-08 21:50:54

wolfchild08

The terms and conditions on my test appointment letter state that providing you reach the required standard you will definately pass the test.  So if these rumours are true not only is it unfair but they are in breach of their terms

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

#8 08-05-08 21:55:12

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Think the percentage rumour has been around since the year dot & will always be around....If you drive in a safe & controlled way at or above the required said standard you will pass....After all you are being tested as a 'Driver' not a learner  smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 08-05-08 22:02:34

samds
Verified Member
Website

Here's an old thread that makes interesting reading.

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … #msg118829

Pass rates are a big part of examiner life.

Every examiner must be within 10% of the centre average and no 2 examiners at a center are allowed to be more than 10% apart from each other.
If a DEs pass rate drifts away then he/she will be supervised repeatedly until the blip is ironed out.  If supervision doesn't solve the issue then the DE could be sent back to Cardington for re-training.  Whilst a DE is out of sync with colleagues then there is no overtime, detached duty or courses etc...

Get the picture??? What DE would put themselves through all that!!! 

20% of all tests guaranteed pass.
20% of all tests guaranteed fail.

This leaves 60% which could go either way on the day. Examiners who are high% will fail this 60% and examiners with low% would pass these.

I was told this by an ACDE (Assistant Chief Driving Examiner) who was sent to my TC to sort my pass rate out as i had been 12% too high for 3 consecutive months. He also supervised one test and afterwards explained how i could have justified a fail but didn't disagree with me issuing a pass!!!

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#10 08-05-08 22:11:37

Shazzer

Hmmm, so it could be something that someone has got the wrong end of the stick about.

#11 09-05-08 06:54:08

hector
Verified Member
Website

I think if we get real quotas definitely do exist, and many examiners will admit this.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#12 09-05-08 07:38:14

ExAdiNigel

The one thing that, to my mind, goes against any quotas existing is the huge variance of pass rates across the UK.

I will go along with the idea that is an examiner is adrift from his/her colleagues then their manager may sit in to check they are marking correctly, but I don't see how there can be quotas.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#13 28-05-08 19:18:37

Veteran Phil
Verified Member

smile  I agree with Nigel. There are no quotas.
       But the DSA do admit that there are variances that examiners must keep to.
       As far as i know the variance is that their pass/fail rates should stay within 10% of their supervisors own pass/fail rate.  My information comes from examiners that were until recent years instructors.
       My own guess, is that examiners can up or down their variances by the test routes they select.
       Each test centre has numerous different test routes. Some are pretty straight forward, some are harder, and some resemble that of an ADI Part 2 route!
       By taking for instance, twenty candidates on the easier routes, there is a pretty good chance more of them will pass, than taking them on the harder routes.
       Likewise, take the twenty candidates on the very hard routes and many will fail. The examiners still marking the same, they are not closing their eyes, they are not inventing faults.  The nature of some test routes being easier and some harder sorts out the variance.
       Phil...

#14 28-05-08 23:01:37

Shazzer

So in theory, you could have the same examiner, drive the same but on different routes, and pass on the easier and fail on the harder. Shouldn't all the routes be of the same difficulty to make the test fair? And why don't we get tested on all the manoeuvres, we have to learn them all!! it's luck of the draw on the day, not whether you are competent in all driving aspects. But saying that I do feel it is daft to fail on a bay park if your driving has been spot on otherwise, does anyone really park using those techniques in the real world??
That also highlights the differences between test centres, one near me has a higher rate and 'easier' routes, but the one im taking mine at has allegedly worse routes, and lower pass rate, but I know the area.

Board footer