You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 08-05-08 00:05:49

samds
Verified Member
Website

ROSPA Diploma

I've been looking into this course, ordered Roadcraft and looking to have a chat with a few guys locally
who have done it.  Also I'll need to do the advanced test.

What can you guys who have been there tell me about it?  Advice on what to focus on please?

Cheers

Scott

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

08-05-08 00:05:49

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: ROSPA Diploma

#2 08-05-08 09:17:38

Lynne
Verified Member

Hi Scott,

Firstly, if you haven't already, get Roadcraft and learn it inside out back to front and upside down. As an instructor you shouldn't need any of the other books they tell you to read before you go (apart from H.Code which you know ...right?   wink   )

Did the Dip last month.  You need to have silver or gold to go on the course.  Have you got in touch with your local RoSPA group?  I do know they are very hit and miss across the country though.  Saying that if you don't have a local group you can still do it alone; one of the delegates taught himself out of the book and got a silver and I also know someone else whose done that.  (I suspect their lack of commentary partly only gave them silver as neither did it on their RoADA test.)

And there's loads of people on here who can also give you advice on driving to Roadcraft.  And you'll need to practice a commentary if you have never done it. (You can buy DVDs on commentary or look on You Tube).  Get into the habit of pre-drive checks (I have the set we used if you want a copy let me know.)

It's quite demanding but as an ADI you shouldn't find it too much of a problem.  I started preparing for it weeks before I went though so give yourself time to prepare. 

First morning was classroom session then we all did a drive in the afternoon.  Tuesday was classroom again, a practice of our presentations (the subject will be given to you beforehand and it's only 10 minutes which includes Intro. H & S and conclusion so you can't get too much in anyway).  Wed and Thurs out in the car (3+1 trainer) all taking turns and learning from one another and practicing for exam day) then exam day on Friday.

I had a great trainer who was ex police/fire services driver trainer.  I think I was lucky in that my original RoSPA assessor is a retired TC he'd given me a good foundation.  But really do all they can to help you out and all us delegates pulled together in the evenings and helped each other out where needed.

Exam day was theory (H.Code and R/craft) multi choice then a part 2 instructional written. 

The drive was about an hour, which included a drive from me, a short commentary, the examiner asks you to explain certain aspects from Roadcradt whilst you are driving.  Then we swopped seats and I was his 'trainer' and gave instructional.  This test also also divided into 2 parts. 

By the time you do the presentation to everyone you are past stressing about that as you're just whacked and want to get it done ..and you do!!  You can use whatever method you want as aids, I took the lappy and taught myself powerpoint, dead easy once you get into it but you can use whatever you like as an aid.

Everyone got something different out of the course; but everyone did benefit.  I can't of course compare it with other courses available though.

If you want any more info on the course I did,  let me know.  Hope this helps  smile  I got my report last weekend but you can get the results a few days later by phone/email. 

Lynne

#3 08-05-08 12:52:29

copone
Verified Member

Lynne has hit the nail on the head. Learn Roadcraft until you can do it standing on your head. Do you know any examiners or trainers in your area. They will help you all they can. My impressions of the course was very relaxed, everyone was there to help one another, we only had 2 clients to 1 trainer. Learned a lot, and have certainly benefited from the course. Don't even think about learners, only fleet work. Good luck. As Lynne says if you need help,please ask. Good luck.

ADI. Class 1 Police Advanced. HGV Class 1. Member of IAM AND DIA. Rospa Gold. National Diploma for Advanced Instruction. and Examiner. IAM fleet trainer. Safed trainer.

#4 08-05-08 19:58:20

hector
Verified Member
Website

Carlos wrote Roadcraft

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#5 08-05-08 21:14:29

samds
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for all the detail guys.  I've ordered roadcraft so I'll tackle that first.

Who is Carlos anyway?

#6 08-05-08 21:37:49

hector
Verified Member
Website

A scottish soccer player from Iraq

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 09-05-08 06:32:10

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

A scottish soccer player from Iraq

So what has he got to do with the threads into which you have injected him?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 09-05-08 15:07:57

Gizmotime
Administrator

Thanks for all the detail guys.  I've ordered roadcraft so I'll tackle that first.

Reading Roadcraft is a little boring so be warned, BUT it's well worth it when you know it insideout back to front and right way round again.
I also got the DVD of Roadcraft and that helps a lot.

Best of luck.

Giz

#9 12-05-08 15:50:29

samds
Verified Member
Website

Roadcraft, what a great little book that is.  Think I'll order the DVD now, cheers Giz.

#10 12-05-08 16:49:07

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Just wondering, has the DVD been updated?
The latest print version (pub end 2007) is a very real improvement on the earlier, "yellow" one.

Incidently Fleetcraft and Trailercraft haven't yet been updated as far as I know.

#11 28-05-08 10:26:39

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

I'm also thinking of doing this course. I've got the latest roadcraft on order, and an ex-traffic cop for a father, so lots to learn.

I bought a copy of Ultimate Driving Craft, by Chris Gilbert. For those who don't know of him, he's an ex-Met instructor. The DVD was excellent, my father and I sat and watched it straight through and enjoyed every moment of it. You can find the DVD on Ebay.

I plan to base any advanced test I do in the future on Chris' drive, is the Roadcraft DVD worthwhile for classroom preparation?

When it gets to the stage of sadobestionecrophilia, give up: Otherwise known as flogging a dead horse!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk

#12 28-05-08 10:59:08

Lynne
Verified Member

2 different types...

Chris Gilbert on You Tube

Mark Kendrick (Bespoke) on You Tube

(Sometimes the Mark Kendrick ones are there sometimes not...I guess they're taken down always worth a 'search' though...there's one or 2 on there at the mo.)

Board footer