You are not logged in.

#1 26-02-05 09:41:48

abc123

part 3 training

:? ive just finished my part 3 training with the instructor college. i had a classroom session a few weeks back and 5 days training this week, and now i dont feel prepared for the p3 test at all. the training seemed too intense and too much to take in in a week! im dissapointed. my trainer advised me to get my trainee licence and work for a driving school, team up with other pdis, sit in on lessons,etc. is there anybody else out there in the same situation as me?
craig smile

26-02-05 09:41:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: part 3 training

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 26-02-05 10:26:48

Peter Leigh
Verified Member

the training seemed too intense and too much to take in in a week! im dissapointed.

I felt EXACTY the same and so did some of the others on the course.  I was overloaded after day1  (day 3 i had a horrible headache) and by day 5 I thought I would never/ever in a million years get it.  I  didnt change my views for months and months but very slowly after pairing up with another pupil (we both decided it wasnt worth getting a trainnee licence) I was slowly putting things into place..and I mean slowly.... just doing the moving off lesson for a few weeks then the controls lesson for another few weeks etc. Progess was so slow  But even now looking back and after passing part 3 I still feel it was far too intense, it should have been a day at a time... say a day a week .
The main problem I think is too much information overload over a short period of time,  You only need to do 1 pst and stick at that until you feel confortable with it AND ONLY THEN move to another PST .  The recap questions 'and what to ask' and more importantantly' what not to ask' alone takes ages to master let alone everything else like.. timing your brief, QA on the move , fault anaysis, remedial action etc again takes ages to master.
My god my headache is coming back again just thinking about it!!!!!!!
Anyway buy 'The driving instructors Handbook' and stick at it , I did, and in the end it paid off.
Rememer to do little and often rather than cram it all in at once, that way you'll remember more., (In the end we both passed on the final attempt..phew..)

#3 26-02-05 12:43:12

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi all

I have four trainees at the moment from the college who I am retraining for the part 3    :cry:

One of the problems seems to be the way the training is delivered and you are thrown in by asked immediately to do a PST of which you have no previous experience or knowlege

It gets a bit too much for some trainees and they get seriously worried and nervous its a bit like asking a new Learner to drive on the motorway BEFORE they can do clutch control

So what usually happens is the trainee "switches off" due to overload and of course not knowing what they are doing - a lot of trainees say they felt like giving up

I start the part 3 training in a fornightly classroom session BEFORE you pass the part 1 (and in car later) & we do "bite" size pieces - rather than the whole PST at once so you will learn something on its own like - giving directions - or a briefing - or communicaton or core comp for a given PST etc

You can begin to link all the part together then

It is common for my trainees to train other part 2 guys on say - reverse park or emergency stop BEFORE they have even sat the part 2 themselves I think this method is great and I have never had anyone fail the part 2 (yet anyway) all passed 1st time

If you know the method for teaching the emergency stop it becomes very easy to do correctly as you would be doing the fault anyalsis on yourself (if that makes sense)

I also teach the trainee "how to teach" which comes in very handy when you are going to be teaching the learners!! LOL

Dont give up and take your time - I cannot see how you are expected to be able to sit the part 3 after that one week course and as I understand it the training is 2-1 which means you only get about 3 hours a day actually doing any work

Remember the briefing is just a tiny part of the PST and you will be marked according to the way you deal with the Core comp, fault analysis, Q&A and communication

[b]In simple terms most PDI's fail because they identify the fault but fail to find out WHY it occured and also fail to tell the "pupil" HOW to do it correctly (this can be done by Q&A or by "telling" the pupil) the correct method" or they use retrospective & negative instruction even when the SE cannot possibly make the fault more obvious in an effort to help you [/b]

Ie - SE charging towards red lights - you dont say anything till he does an emergency stop to stop in time and THEN you tell him off for driving too fast - ALL the SE wanted from you is something simple like "what colour are the traffic lights" OR "what is the hazard ahead? etc use your own words and Q&A or if you dont have time simply ask him to slow down as the lights are on red

This is not a difficult exam to pass - regardless of what you have been led to believe - if you know what is required and how to deliver it you WILL pass - the key is to get the correct training

Try to find a local trainer who can help or come down to poole to one of our classroom days - I have a great bunch of trainees and ADI's here

Regards   lol

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

#4 26-02-05 15:22:44

Peter Leigh
Verified Member

Spot-on... 'Jeni'
regards
Peter

#5 26-02-05 15:37:03

abc123

big_smile thanks for the advice jeni if i can get any time off work i will try to come to one of your classes. the training i have had  from the instructor college was rubbish as i felt i was mainly covering briefings and recaps. hopefully i am going to be sending off for my trainee licence once my knowlege is a bit better.
thanks,
craig big_smile

#6 26-02-05 16:54:13

yammie

Hi all. I keep hearing about The Instructor College, and most trainees & ADIs dont seem to like them. I was put off because they were not on the ORDIT list. My ADI is training someone from the college who has failed pt 2 twice, shes terrified because if she fails again then she has to wait two years before she can try again. Im not a big fan of regulations, but surely there should be stricter rules on who can train instructors, just like there are rules on who can train learners.

#7 26-02-05 17:30:41

Calex

Couldn't agree with you more Yammie.

There should be some kind of compulsary regulation of Trainers and Training establishments.

Ordit isn't perfect, but at least it is a start, you have some kind of accountability and you know that an SE has inspected the trainer/establishment within the last 2 years (Ordit checks are carried every 2 years regardless of how busy the DSA are).

Calex

#8 26-02-05 17:52:36

hdw-68

Getting fed up reading posts from people who fail their exams for one reason or another and then blame their trainers. Or the training was too intensive or training couldn't be provided to fit in with their personal schedule or committments.

COME ON!!  Lets get real here.

I trained with TIC and passed all parts first time. Got a 5/6 on Part 3.
All my trainers were Grade 6 ADI's and had all the RoSPA, IAM, Cardington Special, Dip DI etc. etc. 

Don't fool yourselves; if you have the aptitude to be an ADI, the training provided by TIC is second to none, ORDIT or no ORDIT.

hdw

#9 26-02-05 19:10:33

yammie

Sorry HDW, but I think you may have missed my point. If you want to teach a learner for financial reward then you must meet certain criteria. If you want to train a potential instructor, then surely you should have furter training in order to do that. I am not singling out the Instructor College in particular (although I am suprised a company of its size is not ORDIT registered). After all, just because a maths teacher is qualified to teach maths to school kids it does not follow that he will have the ability to train other teachers. He would need extra training to a higher standard. So why should it be possible for an ADI with no other qualifications, training or aptitude, be allowed to train potential ADIs? He has been trained to teach learner drivers, not to teach potential instructors. He may be great as an instructor trainer. He may be rubbish.I simply think that in order to teach potential ADIs, further training is neccessary. There are quite a few ADIs who simply slap an "instructor trainer" sticker on the back of the old Corsa in order to make a quick buck. I know, I've been stung in the past and there's very little comeback. So whats wrong with a safeguard or two? Britain is groaning under legislation, but I think that some form of regulation would be welcome here. Any additional registration fees charged by the DSA would surely be recouped by the extra wok it would bring in. The only people who would object would be the people who are not good enough to qualify.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 26-02-05 20:19:32

Nimrod

yammie wrote:

So why should it be possible for an ADI with no other qualifications, training or aptitude, be allowed to train potential ADIs? He has been trained to teach learner drivers, not to teach potential instructors. He may be great as an instructor trainer. He may be rubbish.I simply think that in order to teach potential ADIs, further training is neccessary.

Hi Yammie,

He did not miss your point. You are under the mistaken impression that the Trainers at TIC are not qualified simply because they are not ORDIT registered. They are all highly qualified, in fact some of them are more qualified than many trainers who ARE ORDIT registered. I have read the ORDIT requirements and the Code of Conduct.  The Instructor College appear  to meet all the requirements and follow the Code of Conduct. Perhaps you should ask them why they are not registered. It is voluntary after all! They chose not to be registered and have a partnership with EdExcel.

The ORDIT requirements for training are: 

. The needs of each trainee will be individually assessed.
. All approved training given by the establishment will be structured so as to ensure that all the topics covered by the requirements of ADI registration are taught.
. There will be continuous assessment of each trainee's progress.
. There can be no major errors or omissions in the subject matter or the manner in which it is being taught.

I see nothing in the above requirement about the quality of instruction or the professional qualifications of Instructor Trainers. So please, don't assume that ORDIT registered trainers are any better qualified than non ORDIT registered trainers or training establishments.

Your post mentions that your ADI is coaching someone who has failed her part 2 twice and who happened to have received training from the Instructor College. There are LOADS of people who have failed Part1, Part 2 and Part 3 who have never been near TIC but who, coincidentally, have received their training from an ORDIT registered establishment.

Why can't you just accept that people fail Part 2 simply because they aint good enough.

Nim

#11 26-02-05 21:47:05

Natalie

Hi Guys

Just thought I would add something.  I too trained the TIC and granted the training was not the best and the 5 day in car is really intense.  I passed part 1 first time, no help from college needed here.  I passed Part 2 third time and had to get additional training from another company (Ordit registered I might add) as TIC couldn't fit me in for additional training around my job.  So the fact that they state you can work around currnt job is wrong to start with.

I did the 5 days in car and was knackered.  I decided to go on a trainee licence due to the fact that the company I worked for found out about the training and weren't happy about it to say the least.

I have now been on a trainee licence for 5 weeks and I must say that the training I have received has not helped me one bit.  With TIC they seem to do everything right first time because they can they need to be a bit more like normal pupils and gets things wrong and not know the answers to questions I ask them to get me thinking for a change.

I am sure some people have found them to be a great help and have passed the test first time but we are not all the same and a bit of help along the way would be good.

I have my first attempt at Part 3 on 7 March and have all my fingers and toes crossed.  To be honest I will be surprised if I pass.  If I do it will be down to the extra training I have received from BSM and I would not want TIC to get any credit for me passing.  When I do that is!!!!

Sorry to have gone on a bit.  I know people train better in other ways and I think at the end of the day it is down to how the individual copes and deals with these things.

Best of luck to all those training for Part 3 at the moment I know exactly how you all feel.

#12 26-02-05 22:18:43

Airmiles

Current ADI Training is the pits!

DSA and '' self styled trainers'' should take a leaf out of the book used by a very reputable Government organisation to train it's own instructors.

First, potential candidates have to have a proven track record in a demanding job before applying.

Secondly, they must pass a selection interview.

Thirdly, they do a minimum 2 week course learning how to be an instructor.. Their own specialised subject / job  is of no concern during the 2 weeks. Students have to learn how to teach a first time visitor from Mars how to peel an orange. And much more besides. Not as easy as you might imagine. Then they tootle off to different specialist training schools where they start on the job training within their own field of knowledge.

All ADI Trainers in this country are concerned with is teaching a few simple PSTs, which by themselves are quite inadequate to prepare a person to be an ADI. Good money for the trainers though, ain't it  :?:   roll

#13 27-02-05 07:24:26

yammie

Hi Nimrod. I do not think ORDIT goes nearly far enough and registration unfortunatley is no guarantee of the quality of training  (never said otherwise) but its a small step in the right direction. What I am actually suggesting is that if an individual or company wishes to train potential ADIs then (to safeguard the potential ADI) the person who will train the potential ADI should be competent and able to do that particular job and a system should be introduced to ensure that! An ADI may be fantastic at teaching pupils and useless at teaching potential ADIs. Its not important that the ADI has passed a Cardington special, DIAmond advanced or a GCSE in clutch control. Im not disputing that the trainer can drive. Is he competent to teach prospective ADIs? I mentioned the Instructor College because I have met some of their pupils (from their Brentwood office) and listened to various horror stories. There are even some dissatisfied TIC pupils on this site. I admit, some of these TIC pupils may well be blaming everything but themselves, but that gets me back to my point. A learner may have a good ADI. He may have a not-so-good ADI, but that ADI has reached (and through check testing has maintained) a certain standard. The pupil then has a reasonable chance of being taught how to drive a car properly and he has some form of redress if the ADI is not teaching to the required standard. Some pupils may wrongly blame the ADI for their failure, but at least a system is in place. What systems are in place to protect a potential ADI from trainers who are simply not up to teaching the subject, irrespective of driving qualifications?

#14 27-02-05 08:43:46

hdw-68

Hi Yammie,

Agree 100%.

You have essentially said what I was trying to say in my first (provocative) post.

All ORDIT registered schools are checked to see that the learning environment is conducive to learning, that Health and Safety regulations are followed, that student records are kept and that the structure of the training follows DSA requirements. There is no checking or control over whether individual trainers have the fundamental background, qualifications or ability to teach adult students the tools of their trade.

Agree with you that a more thorough system should be introduced to set and monitor teaching standards. Be aware though that companies who are ORDIT registered (under the current regime) might well be de-listed if newer more far-reaching standards were adopted. My concern is that people who are training to be ADI's believe that they are guaranteed to get better training from an ORDIT registered company.

Its easy to knock TIC because they are one of the largest ADI training establishments but I also see a lot of criticism of BSM and they ARE ORDIT registered.

That aside, I am totally in agreement that more needs to be done.

hdw

#15 27-02-05 13:07:25

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi All

Firstly lets not get into an arguement about ALL trainers unless you have trained with me or one of my Ordit friends you have no idea about the structure of my training

I DO NOT train PST based training at all - nor does Dave Hartley (Dash driving) so please do not tar us with the same brush - we DO not like the "one week" cram it all in PST method

This is like a L pupil coming on and stating that ALL ADI's are ripping her off due to a bad experience!

I cannot count the amount of times someone has come to me from the larger training places and wanted to go onto a trainee lic BUT they cannot "teach" only quote PST's

All my potential trainees are subjected to an interview and an assesment which assess their ability to drive - their ability to teach and their ability to keep control and calm if they pass this then they cannot sign for 48 hours and then they have to choose either pay as you go OR pay up front Whatever suits them - their choice

The Instructor college was indeed on the Ordit register but were removed due to complaints to the DSA about them - currently they get more complaints than any other training establishment (got this off retired SE who had 75% of complaints re the college )

I am sure some of the trainers are excellent and many larger training companies ensure ALL their trainers are excellent and up to and beyond Ordit registration

As to HDW post when I had my first Ordit check the SE wanted to see ALL my qualifications (I have several teacher training certificates) and came out for 2 hours to assess MY ablitily to teach ADI's -

You do currently have to be an ADI for a min of two years they want to raise this to

All ADI's min of grade 5
All ADI's min of 4 years qualified
All ADI's must do extra qualifications such as teacher training courses

At the end of the day IF you choose to train with an Ordit company YOU have somewhere to complain to and your complaint WILL be dealt with and there are strict guidlines to refunds - The DSA can and will take away your Ordit reg as they have done in the past to other training establishment

Remember at the end of the day ALL ADI's are qualified (green badge holders only) BUT that does nec make them a GOOD ADI they can be awful - late - smoke on lessons - etc

The same applies to Ordit trainers - of course it does

What I am saying is that ALL trainers SHOULD be registered somewhere - It is highly ridiculous that you can train ADI's without even being an ADI yourself or even know the syllaubus THAT is why registration is required ASAP

Great training IS available - YOU need to ask the right questions and do research yourself - A PDI I know who signed with the college and moaned spent a whole week looking for a cheap kitchen under £3000 and went to every kitchen place in Dorset

SO I asked the question - why the hell didnt you do the same research before parting with your money to the first training place you visited!   :cry:

Regards  lol

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

#16 27-02-05 13:46:16

yammie

Jeni, Thank you. That is exactly the point I was trying to make.

#17 27-02-05 16:07:41

dashdriving.com
Website

Hi,

I have to agree with everything that Jeni has written above. Jeni is clearly a very dedicated and knowledgable trainer, and I can quite understand why the prospect of being 'tarred with the same brush' is quite upsetting.

Having said that, I can also relate to all the comments about ADI taining in general. But . . . please don't assume that all ADI tainers are the same. They most certainly are not.

Just look at the extra training that Jeni has put herself through. I've registered for the teacher training course which starts next week. Why? because I want to do the very best for my trainees that I can. The DSA have never told me that I have to do this. It's also going to cost me a lot of time, effort and cash. Sharron (the far more intelligent and infinitely better looking half of Dash) has already completed this course and is now progressing towards a degree.

I've trained or helped to train several PDI's who had previosly been with the 'big' companies and who were, for want of a better description, confused.

There are some remarkably good ORDIT ADI trainers out there. They are highly professional and take great pride in what they do. Unfortunately, some are not so good. I don't pretend to understand the problems that the big national companies have to face. I suspect that the law of 'diminishing returns' kicks in . . . perhaps they get so many trainees, yet they have barely enough trainers to attend to them and have to strictly complete all training on a tight schedule. I just don't know.

I have often said that if ORDIT had teeth, a lot of training companies would get bitten very badly. It offends me when I see people with a dream of a new career, being promised all sorts of things, yet once the cash has gone from the bank account they are left with not much to show for it.

These are real people with real feelings, and when they pay for our services they desere the very best that we can do for them. They deserve honesty and integrity and a soild committment to their success.

A PDI I have at present spent well over £2,000 with an ORDIT company and failed part 3. He rang me for advice and I went to see him.

I spent a couple of hours in his living room, chatting about part 3 and what is required. Within the first few minutes he was reaching for a notepad and was scribbling furiously as we talked. As I left, he reached for his wallet and said "Dave, how much do I owe you?" I told him to keep his cash and that he could pay me when we organise in car or 'classroom' training sessions, should he decide to train with me. He actually said that he had learned more in an introductory chat than he had in £2,000 worth of training. (please note: I cannot guarantee that he will pass!! only his hard work and effort, guided in the right direction, will acheive the aim that we both have - his success)

This really is not uncommon.

I would love to see ADI training regulated in such a way that it prevented people from being rpped off. It just seems that the bigger companies have a lot of sway when it comes to such things and I'm not sure that we'll ever see much change for the better. If stronger regulation became reality we would certainly take an active part in gaining the qualifications or experience required to continue our work.

Just an after thought . . . I went to see a Lets Drive trainee recently. We talked about part 3 for a few hours and he was eager to ensure that his training had been ok. He was quite happy to pay me to 're train' him. I realised that this was not necessary and confirmed that his training had been fine. He has now applied for his part 3 with no extra cost. The point I'd make is that I will never be a millionaire. I am not on ORDIT but I don't shatter dreams or take people for a ride where I can help it.

Once again Jeni, well done for your post. Superb.

regards,

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

#18 28-02-05 18:49:26

disappointed

Good post yet again, Dave. You may not ever be a millionare, but what can you give a guy who already has the lovely Sharron!! (Is that sufficient grovelling? lol )

Why do people seem to think that ORDIT is the Holy Grail of instructor training? Given that this is a recommendation (and no more) from the DSA, and we all know just how efficient an organization that can be (£50 HPT test, anyone?), it is very unfair that a significant number of good quality, dedicated Trainers suddenly find themselves regarded as second rate simply because they're not on the (voluntary) list.

It also doesn't help when trainees want to rush through the training process as quickly as possible without realising that the skills and qualities they need to develop won't just happen by getting through the syllabus content. Like most other things, patience, effort and practice are what count - you'll only get out of this what you put in.

#19 03-03-05 09:23:44

addman

Excellent contributions, some very valid points from both sides. The thing is when we set off on the ADI route most of us don't seem to have researched enough.

I do wish i'd read the posts throughout this site more thoroughly before embarking on the ADI journey at the end of November.

I went intensive with tic (can't remember whether it was 3 or 4K) and i have to say that my instruction from the college in Sheffield (Croydon is my home college) was fantastic.
I chose the intensive route as thats the way i like to learn, dive in blinkered, knuckle down and come out qualified. Ahhh, i didnt realise that having returned from Sheffield that tic wouldnt be able to fit me in for extra training to suit the periods when i wanted to take my tests, I didn't realise that it is nigh on impossible to borrow there cars or that they don't seem to have a buddy system. I really did think that i'd come home, do parts 2 & 3 within a couple of months max and bingo

I really do feel as if i've just been left out in the cold but, time to move on and get qualified eh? Extra lessons, lots of practice and hard work will get me there...if only i'd known! Anyway, passed part 2 on the 9th Feb, starting on a pink v.soon.

My letter will be going down to tic HQ when my other priorities have been dealt with.

Great site and posts, thanks people  big_smile

Board footer