You are not logged in.

#1 02-03-05 13:49:48

Dan
Verified Member

HELP! - FIRST CHECK TEST LOOMING

Dear all,

My very first check test is due in just over a month.  :?  I understand it's educational - but (hopefully) - if I pass does this mean I have to take it again in a few months ??

I've had different advice.  Some have said go for a manoeuvre like Reverse Left ... others say Examiners are bored of manoeuvres - so go for something like roundabouts ?

Thinking back to my Part 3 training - I was told to teach things in a specific order.  So Rev Left would be taught after Turn in Road.  Does this mean if I went for Rev L on the check test - I  should first recap on the previous lesson and do a Turn in the Road before actually giving the lesson on Rev Left?

And should my recap on the previous lesson be a Q & A session while not moving or should the recap be actually driven through by the pupil ?

Finally - are there any books / videos you would recommend that can help with the check test ?

roll

Many thanks,

Dan

02-03-05 13:49:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: HELP! - FIRST CHECK TEST LOOMING

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 02-03-05 21:37:11

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Hi Dan,
           Had my first check test last Jan 04 after qualifying in May 03. Read about examiners dislikes of certain topics so I decided to do a lesson on Hazard Perception. Got graded on the first check test and was told it would be about 2 years to next one ( grade 4 ).
Remember if things dont go to plan be flexible and change the structure of the lesson to accomodate the pupils needs for that time.

#3 02-03-05 22:07:11

Badger

Dont put on an act.

Take your situation as it is. A months time? I assume 4th April.

If you've got a lesson booked for the time already then use it as part of that pupils normal programme. If you do one hour sessions then you will have to warn them that it will take more than an hour from start to finish and that some of the time they will be alone in the car whilst you are debriefed.

It may be that it is convenient to introduce the pupil to the Parallel Park at that time.  Relate it to the left reverse or turn in the road if you have already covered that. Simple recap of the previous lesson, whatever it was, followed by objectives of the current session.

Dont overdo Q & A.  Keep it simple - some pupils dont like the pressure of continually being asked to explain things !

The SE doesnt get bored.  He wants to see an enthusiastic ADI teach a learner a new aspect of the driving skill successfully.

He will ask himself the question "Has the pupil learned anything?"

If you stick to your training programme you will find it very natural and straightforward.

If the SE is going to role-play then that is a different ball game and you might not have a choice of subject.

Personally I would avoid role-playing like the plague.

A copy of the DSAs manual "Guide for Driving Instructors" would be useful - library might have one.

Hope this helps

badgetr

#4 02-03-05 23:34:17

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Yep badger is correct teach as you would on a normal lesson

The reason it is suggested you DONT do a man is because the SE gets 70% of them on check tests - therefore if you do a turn in road and he has seen that done 3 times before that day (or week) he knows exactly what grade he gave the chap before you & if you miss out important points in the brief that were covered by the chap before you he will not be able to overlook this

So say he gave ADI bloggs a 4 and you are worse and not enough remedial action or poor brief  he has to give you a 3  - get it?

BUT if you cover a subject say pass plus or hazard perception or rights at lights etc the chances are he has not assessed this lesson for 3 months so he has nothing to recall from the last ADI to assess your grade and HAS to grade you according to your performance only

I am not saying they assess you on the past ADI's performance BUT nearly ALL the check tests are mans so he KNOWS exactly what he wants covered as you cannot really deviate from the standard format

Our local SE has only had pass plus taught once in five years and when  I did rights at lights he had never had that lesson before

Speak to your SE - as badger said look a month ahead at your lessons

A lot of SE 's suggest you dont tell the pupil you are being "tested" but ask if they mind someone sitting in the back during their lesson

Tell em that you have to be assess every few years to check the pupil is getting their money's worth etc etc etc

You dont have to use a pupil - a full licence holder can be used as long as they are not an ADI - you can teach a friend how to drive using hazard perception if they are late planners for example  wink

Good Luck and if you can get any training - take it

Regards   lol

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

#5 18-03-05 21:14:39

bajr

Have a friend who has problems parking in small spaces- taught by someone else. No problem doing 'Driving Test' Parking but needs help for real life can opener type jobs!! This seems like a good one to play with- what do you think?

B

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 23-03-05 14:50:48

ivorbro

The reason it is suggested you DONT do a man is because the SE gets 70% of them on check tests - therefore if you do a turn in road and he has seen that done 3 times before that day (or week) he knows exactly what grade he gave the chap before you & if you miss out important points in the brief that were covered by the chap before you he will not be able to overlook this

So say he gave ADI bloggs a 4 and you are worse and not enough remedial action or poor brief he has to give you a 3 - get it?

Hi jeni,

I can't see your reasoning SE's as far as I am aware do not judge your performance on a previous ADI's performance on a check test.

The logical extension of your idea is that on a normal driving test the examiner judges the candidates performance on the basis of the previous candidates performance.

Ivor

Board footer