You are not logged in.

#1 01-03-05 21:46:28

kev elliott

Insurance for part 2

Hello all,
My instructor has said that it is best to use your own car for the part 2 exam on the basis that this is the car you will drive most often and will do most of the preperation in - makes sense to me and I do not have a problem with this. My problem is when I checked with my insurance company they have said that this use cannot be covered by them. Is this a common problem?

Policy is fully comp, 1 named driver, social, domestic and pleasure.

regards

01-03-05 21:46:28

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Insurance for part 2

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 01-03-05 22:05:16

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi

I teach ADI's and a lot of them use their own cars for both the part 2 & 3

One of my PDI's had a similiar problem to you but could not get the insurance company to tell him WHY he could not use the car as he would be driving and for the part 2 the accident risks are the same as if you were driving to work

I know the SE is in the car - but surely the insurance would cover passengers anyway??

He pointed out that he was now highly trained in driving and the accident risk was therefore lower

He spoke to them at length and they only agreed to cover him when he said ok, got another insurance company to cover me    :?  I will cancel insurance and want a refund please

I cannot see why you cannot use the car for a Part 2 as you will be at no greater risk than driving to work in the rush hour or in heavy snow or ice

A lot of PDI's dont even bother to tell insurance company or even know they should - if they had an accident they would just claim as usual as it (hopefully) would be the other drivers fault

When I took my part 2 many years ago I did not inform my Insurance company - didnt even know I had to as my independant trainer never mentioned it at the time and I was fully comp

All I can suggest is either change your insurance company or speak to them again and ask to speak to someone in charge

It does seem ridiculous when a L driver can get insurance to take a car without dual controls on a test without too many problems - and they could kill the examiner they may not have had any lessons or be able to drive safley!!   :?  :?

Ring round the freephone numbers

With reference to this one of my PDI's managed to hire a car AND get insured for the part 2 when he had an accident (not his fault) and his car was off the road - He took written proof on the part 2 and it was not a problem with the SE

After all you can use your car while training for the part 2 and for mock tests so why not the part 2 exam itself ??

Another of my ADI's had a problem when he bought a used ADI car with dual controls EVEN though he took them out and they were unusable his insurance company wanted to charge him another £400 he changed his insurance and it was fine

Maybe they want to make more money out of you as they seem happy to cover you if you pay extra

Good Luck

Regards   lol

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

#3 02-03-05 06:42:22

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I too, did not tell my insurance company about taking part2 in my car, as no-one told me i had to.

besides what difference should it make, its your car, your driving, exactly the same as if you were going shopping or on holiday! 

ONLY MORE SAFELY!!!!

#4 02-03-05 08:14:36

alys
Website

Threatening to take your business elsewhere can work wonders!

A few years back I had booked my insurance through a broker - who of course did not work out of office hours or at weekends.  My car started to fall apart (nothing too serious, just the brakes  :shock: ) and I just about managed to drive it to a garage on a Friday evening where I bought a new car on part-ex.  I had to have insurance in place before they would let me drive away.  I rang my insurance company and they told me that they couldn't help me as they would effectively be taking the business away from my broker if they dealt with me direct.  That all changed when I said "Thank you very much, I will be cancelling my policy with my broker on Monday morning as I will have insurance through someone else by then".

I was prepared for them to still not cover me, but I am still with them now - 2 years later.

If they still wont cover you try Waveney - they cover a lot of driving instructors and although you wont get a driving instructor specific policy until you have passed your Part 2 they do understand the process so I would imagine they will be more sensible about it.

By the way - I didn't realise I was supposed to tell my insurance company about me taking my Part 2 test either.

Good luck

Alys smile

Alys smile

#5 02-03-05 20:41:27

Dom Kavanagh

I asked my insurance company (esure), because I want to use my car for the part 2 (having failed it twice in training car).  First esure clerk I spoke to said they wouldn't cover me.  She seemed unable to explain why, so I phoned again a few days later, spoke to a more confident person at esure who checked and told me it was no problem - I WOULD be covered, so am using my car for part 2.

My advice: check with the insurance company again.  Some of the clerks don't seem to understand what's being asked over the phone.  I know too that DirectLine would cover you, as my wife asked them on my behalf (out of curiosity.

Get a second knowledgeable opinion from the insurance company would be my final comment.

Good luck.  dom

#6 02-03-05 21:23:28

yammie

I think some insurance companies are inflexible because they work to a set formula to keep costs down. Anything even slightly unusual causes them a headache so rather than help you, they just turn down your request. Some of them even have call centres as far away as India, and the operators probably have never even heard of pt2 & pt3 so how can they insure for it? I was once refused a quote because I was honest and stated that my car was fitted with optional alloy wheels (fitted from new by the manufacturer), as this made the car non-standard. Try a local broker. They bend over backwards to help because they need your business.

#7 02-03-05 21:31:52

kev elliott

Many thanks for all the replys. Rechecked with the insurer today using the approach of asking why they would not cover the test the responses were

1. policy did not cover business use - When challenged they accepted that the part 2 test is not business use
2. Due to car type (Volvo V70 D5) they would not insure for learner use - When told for the 3rd time that I would be the driver at it would be used for instruction they confirmed that the insurance is actual fact valid for the test.

Moral of this is some insurance companies need to have the apparently simple explained 3 times from different approaches - Good practise for future pupils  lol

Board footer