You are not logged in.

#1 27-04-08 22:00:25

Lynne
Verified Member

I Nearly Got Killed on My Horse Yesterday...part 2

My friends farm is on a fairly narrow road, so narrow it has no centre line markings apart from some really thick hazard lines on an S bend.  It runs parallel with a straighter, wider road, in fact the wider road is a more direct access...you actually have to put yourself out to seek out the back road and accompanying tight S bend.  Both roads are a 60 and we keep off the busy one for obvious reasons. This is our only way out although it backs onto farmland we can't always use it as it's surrounded by a council tip road.

So why does the Co-op artic lorry have to come down this tight narrow road, career towards my horse and me ONLY slowing down when I've put us out in the middle of the road to actually slow him down.  It was that...get squashed head on or get killed when horse dived into the ditch to avoid him or spin round towards traffic behind us.  We have oh about 5' to get through at this point.  He's passed all the places where I could have persuaded my horse to find a bit of refuge and this lorry is oh...how high?  How wide?  How big??  It's massive.  My horse pretty much trusts me, has a big heart and is generally a good boy in traffic even if he doesn't like something he trusts me even if he'd prefer to jump into my pocket and hide, he will do his best for me.

And why am I glared at by the lorry driver like it's my fault?  This is my local access road, often frequented by riders and he probably lives miles away.  I ask him to switch off his engine (at this point we had nowhere to go).  No response.  He's still glaring at me.  Well I should be happy I suppose, at least he's stopped the lorry by now.  Someone tried to lead my horse through he was having none of it.

Eventually I have no choice but to turn the horse back (which is sometimes the worst thing to do)  I luckily found a driveway with a gate open and big hedge to hide behind.  He went roaring off.

We're off again, 3 minutes later a white van, which normally horse wouldn't bat an eyelid over comes along the road, again, towards us.  Driver was so nice, tried all he could to help when he sees my horse not happy.    He's now in such a state.  I have to take him home as all he'll now do is back up and spin round in the road.  He's even threatening to rear which is something he's never done.

I ride out today ..he's fine until we see...a van which has narrowed a road.  My horse is scared just seeing it.  Thank God my friend was with me on her horse mine had a choice of sticking with his mate or being left behind.  It could take months to get him calm again.

This horse is not yet 7, puts up with buses, airbrakes, nothing much phases him, as long as he feels like he won't get killed. I think that's quite reasonable.  My horse lives on my friend's farm and her hubby has a demolition firm, he sees all sorts of big loud noisy machinery.   He might sniff and snort but he will walk by it.  Now All because of some stupid thoughtless lorry driver I've got a horse scared on the road. 

Please don't tell me the driver may not understand horses.  Rubbish.  He shouldn't be allowed out in a thing like that without understanding of other road users.   I will be getting in touch with the Co-Op.  Their logo 'The Co-operative - good for everyone'.

Right then.

27-04-08 22:00:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: I Nearly Got Killed on My Horse Yesterday...part 2

#2 27-04-08 22:14:35

Shazzer

Sorry to hear that Lynne. I used to spend a lot of time with horses and some drivers go out of their way to cause unrest. Unfortunately now I'm highly allergic! Hope yours calm soon.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 28-04-08 01:43:29

ExAdiNigel

......I will be getting in touch with the Co-Op.....

Good!  Only one problem, did you manage to get his registration in the middle of everything that was going on?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#4 28-04-08 15:17:17

Lynne
Verified Member

Hi Nige,

No reg no. but the village he was coming from as at the end of the road, and I mean 'at the end of the road' virtually before you hit the sea wall.  It wouldn't be hard for them to know who was out there on a Saturday afternoon.

I've found an email addy for the distribution centre and have asked them who is responsible for delivery drivers.  I've had a reply to say it's been forwarded on so let's see if I get a reply.

#5 28-04-08 18:09:12

gs1974

Lynne, this lot might be interested as well (this is a link I bookmarked a while back, but I mean the publication itself).

#6 28-04-08 21:43:46

Lynne
Verified Member

I remember seeing that before GS...thanks.  I'll see if I get a response back from the Co-Op in the next day or so.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 29-04-08 18:29:13

ExAdiNigel

Lynne, this lot might be interested as well (this is a link I bookmarked a while back, but I mean the publication itself).

To be fair, I think it is worth giving the company concerned the opportunity to handle the situation first.  Then, if they appear to do naff all, then get every Tom Dick & Harry involved!

Nigel

#8 29-04-08 21:08:33

Lynne
Verified Member

OK after a lot of ringing around getting numbers off the net, one person telling me they employed a lot of foreign lorry drivers ... I ended up ringing the village Co-op to get the freephone customer services number.  The local store were very apologetic and said they'd ask the drivers to keep off the back road (I told them that squashing horsey people would wipe out a fair proportion of their customers!)

I rang the C/S centre and told them and have a name of the person I spoke to.  She took details and said she'd pass it on and someone would get back to me.  I will give it a couple of days and see what happens...

My friend said on the Sunday morning she saw another Co-op lorry go past her place so they are obviously using the back road more than once..

Sweet little girl about 14 got off her bicycle last night when we were out said she didn't want to frighten the horses..bless her she had more common sense than...well...   funnily enough we told her...our horses are from Holland, they're used to bikes... smile

#9 30-04-08 04:17:35

ExAdiNigel

Lynne, what I find tends to get the desired reaction is to find the name of the chief exec and the format of the email addresses and email the chief exec.  Did that recently when I was passed from person to person at Argos (I was trying to report a driver using a hand held mobile).  Once the chief exec heard things started to move.
Try http://www.co-operative.coop/corporate/ … executive/ which show Peter Marks as the Chief Exec of the co-op group and this link http://www.co-operative.coop/corporate/ … acontacts/ shows that the email addresses tend to be 1name.2name@co-op.co.uk.  So if you don't get any joy, try emailing peter.marks@co-op.co.uk

The other thing you could do Lynne, is petition the council to put a weight restriction with 'only for access' on the road.

Nigel

#10 30-04-08 07:24:14

Lynne
Verified Member

Thanks Nigel will give it a go as soon as I get a chance but will give them an opportunity to reply and may even ring the woman again and ask when to expect a response. 

Funny you should mention about the weight restriction I had already thought of that.  (We've already had one petition going so we're getting quite good at that  big_smile )  Further down the road, past the nasty S bend, the road narrows even more and goes into a 30 where there are a few houses.  Most don't slow on approach as the road is straight but then it narrows even more on a tight left hand bend.  The poor residents come out of their front gardens only to have their toes run over most of the time.  They're probably hacked off.

Unless it's bin collection day even the refuse lorries have to enter the 'tip road' from the top busier road so they only cross  (and have to give way) the smaller country roads as opposed to driving along them, and we can see them for miles over the open farmland.  So Rochford and Southend Councils already have some proviso going.

#11 30-04-08 13:07:50

gs1974

The other thing to bear in mind is that even if they do give you a written apology (or even vouchers to spend in-store), will it actually have changed anything?

Unless the driver in question is hauled over the coals for it (and you'll probably never know, but he probably won't be) in the end it all comes down to lip service and what you're happy with. After all, if you think about what you'd like to happen, think about the likelihood that it will smile

Being honest about it, and if it was me, if all I was after was a 'sorry' then I'd do what you're doing. But if I wanted to make a bigger issue out of it - and let's face it, this kind of thing isn't uncommon: a few months ago I saw a big DHL lorry going about 50-60mph in a 40 zone on a hill, on a bend, in the end-part of a torrential downpour, go past a horse and rider. It went nuts and the rider had it all on to control it - going for additional publicity is something I'd consider.

Next time it happens you might not be so lucky. And you know your horse now gets spooked more easily as a result.

#12 30-04-08 14:44:05

Lynne
Verified Member

Hi GS

OMG I want nothing 'financial' from them.  You are right, it means nothing and certainly nothing to me.  Actions speak louder than words and stupid bits of paper.

You know I don't go asking for trouble in life and I let most stuff wash over me these days; I can't be arsed with the hassle of it all.  But sometimes things really get to me and I'll fight my corner when I really have to.  .. it must be the stubborn Taurean in me  :evil:

Trust me..when I say I'll get something done I will ..eventually.    Nigel has given me some good links there smile

#13 02-05-08 14:30:44

yasmin
Verified Member

Hi Lynne
Thank goodness you and your horse are ok. I just hope you can restore his confidence now but it will take time. Fortunately you have a trusting relationship with him and time and patience will do the trick. However, I don't think people realise the long term effects of scary moments like this. They think the horse will forget all about it and carry on being a bomb proof ride. Sadly, we know differently. Horses do remember ill-treatment and frights for a long time. 

#14 02-05-08 21:34:55

Lynne
Verified Member

Hi Yas

OK firstly I took him out twice with my friend his 'mate' and he was better the second time.  He's had a few days off  and tonight I took him out on his own where the most we had to face were boy racers, cyclists and runners and the odd bus.  We can deal with those fairly well!! He was a bit unsure and tried backing up once or twice when we got to the narrow bit by the van as it was parked up there again.  I made him trot through..not in a particularly straight line and dancing a bit   roll which made for a fun few seconds whilst the oncoming woman driver still tried to push her way through   :evil: but  I have to say overall he was a good boy and I was really pleased with him.

As for the Co-op I chased them up yesterday and today they got back to me.  It seems their Sat Navs were sending the drivers down the back route.   :x  They employ a lot of agency drivers  neutral  but it's on the records now that when delivering to the village shop they need to keep to the two main roads.

OK, lets see.....

Board footer