You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 06-03-08 21:03:07

standon11
Verified Member

check test letter today

got my letter today for my first check test 14 months after qualification.phoned my old trainer up immediately & am arranging 4 or 5 hrs check test training with him a week or 2 before my test.at the moment i'm considering going for role play with a remedial lesson or meet cross & anticipation.or i might take out my own mam she desperately could do with a few refresher lessons as she follows vehicles far to closely & approach speed to hazards is way to fast.don't want a pupil to let me down on the day so i'm thinking best to go role play or relative so my plans don't need to be changed last minute.

the whole thing makes me feel like part 3 again & i only past 3rd time round with that.i know some things in my instruction need working on,i'm the first to admit i think i waffle to much at times & over instruct so i'm gonna see what my trainer thinks & get up to scratch before the day.

any check test advise would be very welcome guys.i really want to do well & get it out the way & forget it for a couple of years at least.

chris

06-03-08 21:03:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: check test letter today

#2 06-03-08 21:22:05

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Chris, the best advice I could offer is to take one of your own pupils rather than a role play.  You know your pupils, you know what they need to increase their competence, they won't let you down as long as you treat it like a normal lesson and remember it's not the part 3!  Whatever lesson you plan for them, be prepared to change your objective as they will make mistakes outside of your preferred plan that need to be remedied!  Do your normal fault id, analysis and remedial action at whatever fault they throw at you, ensure that learning takes place and you will do fine. 

Good luck for your first check test, enjoy it and your pupil will too!  smile

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#3 06-03-08 21:26:59

samds
Verified Member
Website

Hi Chris

Don't wait for 2 weeks before your CT for training especially if you know work is needed.  Do it now then it gives you time to strengthen your weakness.  I would personally take a pupil and do what they need on the day.

..and be confident that you'll do well.

Scott

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#4 07-03-08 00:09:47

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

if u can't teach after 14 months in the job, its the wrong job!
Give a normal lesson to a normal pupil. Amazingly you will probably get a 5 .
Good luck anyway......enjoy the ct, be relaxed and make your pupil enjoy it with you.
Jon

#5 07-03-08 17:16:09

malc
Verified Member

I am sure he can teach no need for such a comment ! Thats just the reason i don't post very often.  :x

#6 08-03-08 20:23:17

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

hi malc
I don't understand your comment. Did you read mine ? You don't post often because of me ? All I'm saying is that after 14 months he should not feel intimidated by a check test ! Followed by advice and good luck. What did I say to offend you ?
Jon

#7 08-03-08 21:03:53

malc
Verified Member

Fair enough Jon i now appreciate your comments were well meant, enough said,
                                                                                                    Malc smile

#8 09-03-08 09:40:35

jer
Verified Member

I did my first check test a couple of weeks ago i went for role play Not good !!! get ur own pupil

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 09-03-08 09:45:49

VandADI
Administrator

I did my first check test a couple of weeks ago i went for role play Not good !!! get ur own pupil

I'm sorry to hear that jer. What did you not like about role play?

#10 09-03-08 09:53:02

jer
Verified Member

i felt that i could not contol the SE wether it was because i knew he knew im not sure i just over in structed felt abit OMG at the end cos its not how i really do lessons ? if that makes any sense

#11 13-03-08 20:55:47

copone
Verified Member

Did my first check test today. It was Fleet. Took a driver I met two days ago. Got grade 5. Highly delighted. I can chill for the next few years. big_smile

ADI. Class 1 Police Advanced. HGV Class 1. Member of IAM AND DIA. Rospa Gold. National Diploma for Advanced Instruction. and Examiner. IAM fleet trainer. Safed trainer.

#12 29-04-08 10:58:12

standon11
Verified Member

just got a phone call from the seadi.she's cancelled my check test which was due this thursday & re booked me for june 25th.quite annoyed really as i thought i was well prepared,had an excellent student to take,very responsive to Q & A,likes to ask questions,very friendly & interested in learning.

to top it all was up at 6.15 this morning to pick a pupil up for a lesson followed by test at 8.20.had the lesson & just got sat down in waiting room at 8.10 & examiner comes out & cancels our test stating examiner is poorly.that's about 3 out of last seven tests for me cancelled.is it just me or are examiners the poorliest workforce around.

#13 30-04-08 06:37:03

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

No. That will be teachers in Manchester.

#14 01-05-08 21:20:42

hector
Verified Member
Website

Consider this, where would you rather have the examiner, sat in the back making notes of your tiniest little shortcomings, or in the front doing the driving!
No pupil under pressure, pick DL25 option and the faults are there for you to sort, the pupil is trained with ADI having control over route and planning.

A good option not considered by many?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#15 02-05-08 10:14:06

gs1974

In my experience, far from noting every 'little shortcoming', they're just as often noting the good points. If you've got any, of course lol

I'm surprised that someone would advise wangling the system, especially seeing that it won't get a bad ADI a good score. I'm sure you were only joking, but that's not clear lol

If you can't take a typical pupil out and get a good result (and by that, I mean a 4 or higher) then the result is almost certainly going to be fair. I've noticed no one ever blames nerves and stuff if they get a 4, 5, or 6, but they do if it's an educational result and they see their livelihoods on the line. Role play is fine as a choice if you can't get a pupil, but the same nerves will still kick in; the same shortcomings still become apparent. On top of that, there's the added risk of non-typical faults and behaviour being shown by the SE which people may not be able to deal with 'normally'.

It's dangerous enough trying to be something you're not on a check test (i.e. not carrying out a normal lesson using your normal skills). I saw one recently where the candidate tried it (admitted to it: he wanted a 6!!!) and then got an 'E' for missing basic things and not changing the lesson plan. But having a 'pupil' whose behaviour you're not familiar with - and which is quite possibly going to be 'unusual' - is a potential greater risk. It's at least as much a risk as choosing roleplay is to divert the SE to giving you a '6' instead of an 'E' - neither will work wink

#16 02-05-08 21:09:26

hector
Verified Member
Website

Gs you might be very suprised at the higher average for role play than taking real pupils, by far.

Not wangling the system simply adopting to the new system of the future!  Role play is a very valid option and very straightforward. 

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#17 02-05-08 21:17:41

gs1974

Oh, I agree. As I said in the previous post: "Role play is fine as a choice if you can't get a pupil, but the same nerves will still kick in"

For me, the main discussion point here (where I was heading) is that we all know there is some absolute rubbish making it through Part 3. Doing the job for all the wrong reasons, and all that.

So, is it right to advise them to choose a certain path because it's easier? Does a statistically better likely result at roleplay actually mean exclusively better ADIs are being chucked out the other end?

(Not referring to the OP or anyone specifically, by the way - just the recommendation to go for roleplay in general)

#18 02-05-08 21:31:50

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi GS

Didnt really say it was easier,

just a better chance of a better grade due to the examiner having to work a whole lot harder. To sit in the back and pick fault is the easiest thing in the world, just not so easy from the drivers seat.

The DSA will eventually go the role play route anyway. A large proportion of ADI's achieve a poor C/T grade due to either their pupils reaction to the examiner or choosing the wrong pupil in the first place.

Some people dont react well to role play situations so obviously not good for them.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

Board footer