You are not logged in.

#1 06-09-07 16:37:20

bay

Verbal abuse

Have you or your pupils ever been verbally abused whilst driving.

On my lesson today I was called "Ginger" and a few drivers stuck their fingers up at me.

I had only been driving for 10mins so for the other 50 I was embarassed, angry and I just wanted to go home.
I must admit it did knock my confidence which made me make a few mistakes.

I am hoping tomorrow's lesson will be better.

5th Test Passed 22/04/08

06-09-07 16:37:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Verbal abuse

#2 06-09-07 18:11:02

starlight_

Hiya bay

Concentrate on keeping you safe whilst driving, its those sorts of idiots that cause accidents coz in the seconds they've wasted diverting there attention to you anything could be happening infront of them.

Chin up!  rise above it & ignore it hun. lol lol

I blinking passed, at last!! smile 19/03/08 - OMG I've been driving a year! Sold Betty & haven't stopped sobbing since....

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 06-09-07 18:27:31

Luchell
Verified Member

Yep Kate is right  smile smile

I've just had the pleasure of being on a 2 hour lesson where my pupil stalled just the once and we got beeped and shouted out. It seemed to aggravate them more as we laughed and drove off   roll

Then a few weeks ago a very nice chap ( so we thought anyway   roll) let us turn right at a light controlled crossroads. My pupil felt under pressure and stalled. The nice chap wound the window down and shoted "bl**dy learners!!"

Luckily my pupil saw the amusing side that he let her go then when she couldn't he had no patience whatsoever.

All i can say when you have passed remember you were a learner once   wink

That includes you Kate  lol lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 06-09-07 18:44:03

starlight_

All i can say when you have passed remember you were a learner once   

That includes you Kate  lol lol

As if I'm ever going to forget, I still am, prob will b for a while at this rate too tongue tongue lol lol

I blinking passed, at last!! smile 19/03/08 - OMG I've been driving a year! Sold Betty & haven't stopped sobbing since....

#5 06-09-07 20:58:42

confused
Verified Member
Website

At least once a week one of my pupils gets some abuse, sometimes they haven't even made a mistake or did anything wrong. It's just whatever they were doing, it wasn't good enough or fast enough for the other idiot.

Don't ever succomb to abuse, don't retaliate, just smile and forget it. The reaction is what they want to justify their actions. 

www.drivingzone.co.uk
DSA ADI & Fleet

#6 07-09-07 08:02:42

yasmin
Verified Member

The most common taunt is from young lads who think they are the first person to shout  'You're going to fail!' Laugh and continue on our merry way! smile

#7 07-09-07 08:51:44

Gizmotime
Administrator

You get it everyday from someone  roll, because i stick to the speed limits for the road, I usually get someone shouting B****y Woman driver, shouldn't be on the road, then it's great when further down the road you see them getting done for speeding big_smile
Just ignore them, after a while you get used to it and just laugh it off wink

Giz

#8 07-09-07 08:57:02

spikeyperch

Yes had it on a number of occasions, on one occasion the female pupil broke down in tears, she only stalled the once, unfortunately it happened when a ''Neanderthal man'' driving a clapped out Mondeo was behind her, I do hope he had a better day then my pupil did.

Bad manners and attitude are an inherent part of people's personalities, they will eventually fall foul of their appalling attitudes and behaviours on the roads. On the plus side, crap always sticks to itself, as does scum, so the good thing is these types always hang around together and are easily recognized. Rise above them you are a better person and driver than they are. SP

#9 07-09-07 16:37:03

koolchick

I've had a fewimpatient drivers while on lesson a few pull out in front of me when they should of gave way as they were waiting or should of waited to emerge from junction or roundabout. Been beeped at on roundabout. The best one though has to be when I pulled up at side of a parked car ready to parallel park a car comes up behind and stops so my ADI tells me to get on with manoeuvre so I put car in reverse, the driver behind beeps at me then drives past. My ADI opens his window and shouts to the driver "!!!!!!!! learner idiot" and point to roof sign. lol.

#10 07-09-07 18:27:00

kev elliott

Well going back many,  many years back to the early 60's when my mother was learning to drive the instructor who was a Glaswigian I think, and had a bit of a protective streak in him to his learners, was going down a narrow street and had to wait for a another car to come through the other way a taxi driver started to beep and wave his hands around. The instructor stopped the car, opened the sun roof stood up in passenger seat and politly asked him what ecactly his problem was. Well she thought that was what he was asking could not quite make it all out with the Glaswegian accent! The taxi driver was as quiet as a lamb afterwards lol.

My dad used to work for BP as a chief engineer and spent a long time in Singapore -  He was being driven somewhere once by a colleague in thier car at a couple of traffic lights a bloke behind them kept on tooting if they waited for a green light rather than move off on the amber. The driver eventually got fed up with this after about the 4th time so on the 5th time it happened he put on the hazard warning lights, switched off the engine got out, slowly walked arounfd the car checking all the tyres, and lights by which time the lights changed about three times then ambled back to the driver behind to inquire why he had been tooting as obviously he had been trying to tell him something was wrong with the car. The driver who had been tooting face was a picture when he saw this 7ft built like the proverbial brick outhouse unfurl himself from the car and approach him. 

NOT a recommended approaches today but it worked back then!   

#11 07-09-07 18:40:29

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

I find a smile or/and a little wave is helpful - try to look a little bemused, as well.

It seems to have the effect of disarming them.

It gets to be rather fun...

Hilary.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#12 08-09-07 09:10:10

bay

Thanks for all your replies.

It's never happened to me before while driving so I got a little upset.

I will take all of what you have said onboard and just ignore them.

5th Test Passed 22/04/08

#13 08-09-07 11:35:23

AndyBerry

It's not just learners who get verbally abused - I was out in my private car this morning, approaching a set of lights which were on green. When I had passed the point where I could stop, the lights changed to amber. Continued through but a car coming the other way felt I could stop on a pin head and proceeded to call me a w***** out the window. Muppet!

#14 20-04-08 00:35:01

dragon

I had an awful drive out today, I started off in a build up city no problem  but got stuck in traffic with someone driving too close behind me on a hill and kept stalling it. I kept getting frustrated and got really angry with myself to the point i had to pull over and let my wife take over. Any advice on how to relax?

#15 20-04-08 10:44:05

wolfchild08

During my last lesson I was waiting at a very busy roundabout during rush hour and some idiot behind me blasted his horn.  It made me stall.  It made me very angry and I was so glad it happened at the end of my lesson otherwise I would have just not been in the right mood for carrying on with the lesson.  Im sure he/she was a learner once.. Idiot.

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

#16 20-04-08 13:24:25

Shazzer

I had a lorry sitting on my bumper because I was doing the limit on a busy road (50 mph) I didn't let it intimidate me, I just smiled and said 'sorry mr lorry driver you will just have to wait'

#17 20-04-08 22:17:07

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

rise above and be better! thats the phrase that sticks with me. how often are we pushed, pushed, pushed in a 30 only to leave em for dead on the national because my pupils know how and when speed is prudent. keep to the script i'm sure u will be fine. regards keith  big_smile

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 23-04-08 20:15:20

infectedcat

Have you or your pupils ever been verbally abused whilst driving.

On my lesson today I was called "Ginger" and a few drivers stuck their fingers up at me.

I had only been driving for 10mins so for the other 50 I was embarassed, angry and I just wanted to go home.
I must admit it did knock my confidence which made me make a few mistakes.

I am hoping tomorrow's lesson will be better.

Well i have always been told its better to be exposed to germs than to be protected from them.

its only a matter of time b4 you become immune.

#19 24-04-08 04:52:50

ExAdiNigel

Well i have always been told its better to be exposed to germs than to be protected from them.

its only a matter of time b4 you become immune.

I do like that one!  Very true.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#20 24-04-08 21:08:04

irene1946

I get abused every day, just for keeping to the speed limits. I am learning to ignore it. Just remember the saying,' BETTER TO BE LATE IN THIS WORLD THAN EARLY IN THE NEXT'

#21 25-04-08 07:27:04

madison

My dad used to work for BP as a chief engineer and spent a long time in Singapore -  He was being driven somewhere once by a colleague in thier car at a couple of traffic lights a bloke behind them kept on tooting if they waited for a green light rather than move off on the amber. The driver eventually got fed up with this after about the 4th time so on the 5th time it happened he put on the hazard warning lights, switched off the engine got out, slowly walked arounfd the car checking all the tyres, and lights by which time the lights changed about three times then ambled back to the driver behind to inquire why he had been tooting as obviously he had been trying to tell him something was wrong with the car. The driver who had been tooting face was a picture when he saw this 7ft built like the proverbial brick outhouse unfurl himself from the car and approach him. 

NOT a recommended approaches today but it worked back then!

That made me laugh sooo much!! Excellent!!  tongue tongue tongue

#22 25-04-08 11:19:09

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I do driver education classes at a couple of the local high schools.

When delivering the "signalling & communication" topic I stand in front of the class and show a one-finger salute.

I get surprised looks, sniggers, occasionally a "return salute".

I hold the pose and ask "what am I saying here?"
Again, a few replies in the order of "it means ** you sir" or similar.

Then I tell them "this gesture means I'm saying: my IQ is only 1 which is why YOU should never use it".

It helps to think in these terms, bay. Plus disarming them as Hilary & others have suggested!

(PS spikeyperch! where have you been lately?)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#23 30-04-08 11:05:59

Stacy

Me been a learner, I always do, with speed limits especially, always get people getting right up the backside of the car. If im doing a speed limit I cant go any faster, its like they want me too. Funny when I turn off though, cause I sloooow right down, and well it annoys them I laugh.

Board footer