You are not logged in.

#1 27-04-08 14:31:19

Cat8t3
Verified Member

HPT???????????

OK, I am revising for Part 1 test, i am really improving on my Theory questions but really doing badly on my HPT, im only just failing getting 56/75 but i am not improving. I am using the most recent Focus cd and finding it very useful as it is keeping a record of my progress, but im really not understanding how it works out the Hazards and where you should click(each clip seems very random to when it wants you to regognise a hazard, there seems to be no consistancy). On some clips i am seeing the hazard to early ie clicking just before the 5 point mark, and when i click again just to make sure i am only getting 2/3 mark. Some clips when i review the hazard wnats you to see it before you can see it on display, because it is so small on the screen, yes in real life you would see it as it would be to scale, but on the screen it is so tiny.

Am i just being stupid and not getting it, or is the HPT a disavantage to us because we will always see the hazard early, or think its not really a hazard as we already have the experience of years of driving.. :?

How is everyone else doing? I have done a few practice tests this morning and got 60/75 but this is with doing about 8 clicks per clip and also to me this still seems to close to the fail mark and i really feel i should be doing much better.

Any adivse would be greatful, altough i think i need to just keep trying..

Cat  sad

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

27-04-08 14:31:19

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: HPT???????????

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 27-04-08 14:34:52

Luchell
Verified Member

#3 02-05-08 16:15:13

GreenLight
Verified Member
Website

Evening Cat,

I always recommend the GSP discs:
http://www.avanquest.com/UK/education/d … _Test.html

The hazard perception discs allow you to review each practice and test clip to see exactly where the score window opened and closed, where you clicked and why you scored what you did.

Of course, like the Focus discs, the clips can only be their guess of the DSA ones.

I assume you have the Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception DVD?

Good luck, in my experience the actual HP test is much easier than the commercial practice discs.

Larry

#4 05-05-08 06:54:18

ExAdiNigel

Ask your trainer to sit down with you and go through it. 

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#5 05-05-08 10:19:15

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

You guys are really scaring me!!!!!!

My area (Northern Territory, Australia) is considering a HPT but haven't done anything about it yet as we are a gigantic area in terms of land mass but have a very tiny population.
So thankfully our esteemed (just joking!) authorities have yet to find the money & other resources to implement a HPT. Not to mention political will, our cowardly politicians are scared to introduce anything which will make them in the least unpopular.

But we ARE going to get a HPT someday I'm sure.

I've had a taste of local offerings, CD's with "driving down a road" situations where unless you are party to the actual design criteria, you have no idea what is really required of you.
You sit there nervously clutching a mouse without any real idea what is expected of you.

E.g.
I insert CD, am presented with a car dash, steering wheel, speedo saying "60km/h" and a view of a rather clear, fenced, open rural road through the windscreen.
I reach for the mouse, give a few tentative twitches which seemingly elicit no response on the screen... then the speedo starts to wind up to 70km/h.

As a qualified & experienced ADI I am instantly on the alert (thinks "why are we moving faster, surely we aren't speeding but this must be a trick? and HOW DO I SLOW THIS BL**DY THING DOWN??? etc etc").

Too late, the screen freezes then a banner sneering "YOU FAILED! YOU STUPID INCOMPETENT IGNORAMUS YOU WERE DRIVING TOO FAST FOR THE CONDITIONS! YOU NO-ACCOUNT JERK YOU!" flashes before me (along with my entire life).

The end result is a binned CD and frustrated ADI who thought he was an attentive & reasonably safe driver but now knows different.   roll

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#6 05-05-08 13:04:28

peckerup
Verified Member

hi zipper.
im sure you as an adi will be well aware of how and when to use your mirrors.
i found that the hpt is based very much on hazard recognition and as you know yourself, you spot hazard and next thing to do, mirror check. at the point of the mirror check you know you would do in textbook driving, its time to press the mouse.
thus maxi marks on first signs of recognition of the hazard/ sign post bearing a forthcoming hazard.
then all the way through the clip the candidate simply has to look for obvious forthcoming potential hazards. generally they are fairly obvious . from memory, there are 5 hazards per clip therefore the candidate has to watch out for everything happening in front of them.
i will be the first person to admit 5 years ago when i retrained to become an adi that i had several driving issues which needed correcting. the major failing was my use of mirrors.
once i had been out with a trainer and had my failings pointed out, the turn around began to get the textbook driving underway.

the hpt element of part 1 is nothing for anyone to be afraid of however, my greatest sugestion to anyone going through adi training after several years of driving from test date passed is to pay an adi to show candidates (after several years of bad habits) where they are slipping up on normal driving. it comes as a bit of a shock to the candidate however, after constructive criticism is accepted, the remedial work may begin.

the hpt in a nutshell is about obsevation and anticipation therefore, if one is looking and planning ahead, maxi marks are obtainable.

moral of the story to new adi candidates is simoly, get out with a recently qualified adi who still has the textbook driving still fresh in their mind and take the criticism as we all fall behind in correct procedure.
oh, and remember, mirror check, press mouse.

hope this helps, colin.

#7 07-05-08 10:40:28

charlessandilands
Verified Member

I took the test yesterday and found the problem was with 'inappropriate clicking' which I never had much of a problem with in practice. I got 2 yesterday i.e. 2 zeros and finished up with 53, gutted. After getting 96 in the theory too.

I've ordered new DVDs from Learner Driving so I'll see what they're like (I've been using Focus).

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 07-05-08 11:31:07

john55
Verified Member

Am i just being stupid and not getting it, or is the HPT a disavantage to us because we will always see the hazard early, or think its not really a hazard as we already have the experience of years of driving.. :?

the above comment is spot on i think. the HPT has been setup for L drivers who will always see the hazard later than an experienced driver, also your right in saying what might be a hazard for a learner might not be as much of a hazard for you. the HPT that ADI/PDI's get contain the same clips than learners get so the hazards aren't designed specifically to test our greater experience or knowledge. they are simply hazards. i found that letting the clip run for a few seconds after it starts seems to work better as the ''scoring window'' doesn't open straight away. click when you see the hazard then again as the hazard develops and once more as you get closer to the hazard. as was said elswhere relating your clicks to mirror checks is also a good idea. there will also be more hazards in the clip as well as the developing one(s) and you should click for these too being careful not to click too much of course and get the dreaded X on screen. good luck Cat. 

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#9 08-05-08 17:59:16

hector
Verified Member
Website

Tevez

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#10 08-05-08 18:02:29

hector
Verified Member
Website

United double

Chelsea empty handed!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#11 08-05-08 18:05:51

VandADI
Administrator

Hector, you been on the cooking sherry again?  tongue

#12 08-05-08 18:13:54

hector
Verified Member
Website

No just started on the Stella Artois

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#13 08-05-08 20:15:48

hector
Verified Member
Website

Spoilsport  sad sad Put the pictures back promise I wont do it again  tongue

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 08-05-08 20:20:10

VandADI
Administrator

Spoilsport  sad sad Put the pictures back promise I wont do it again  tongue

Why is it there is always someone that insists on abusing certain features and spoils it for others?

#15 11-05-08 16:43:48

ExAdiNigel

....or think its not really a hazard as we already have the experience of years of driving.. :?

This bit scares the hell out of me!  Wouldn't our extra experience enable us to recognise more hazards, not less?

the above comment is spot on i think. the HPT has been setup for L drivers who will always see the hazard later than an experienced driver, also your right in saying what might be a hazard for a learner might not be as much of a hazard for you. the HPT that ADI/PDI's get contain the same clips than learners get so the hazards aren't designed specifically to test our greater experience or knowledge. they are simply hazards. i found that letting the clip run for a few seconds after it starts seems to work better as the ''scoring window'' doesn't open straight away. click when you see the hazard then again as the hazard develops and once more as you get closer to the hazard. as was said elswhere relating your clicks to mirror checks is also a good idea. there will also be more hazards in the clip as well as the developing one(s) and you should click for these too being careful not to click too much of course and get the dreaded X on screen. good luck Cat.

The HPT isn't about who sees a hazard first.  It isn't designed for how quick a hazard is spotted.  Yes, I agree that we should recognise a hazard earlier than a learner.  But with regard to the HPT, so what?  The scoring window opens as soon as the hazard starts to develop.  The hazard doesn't start to develop any earlier for us than it does for the learner.

For any trainee driving instructor that is having trouble with the Theory test, ask your trainer to sit down with you and help.  Any trainer worth their salt, will be happy to help you prepare for the Theory test regardless of whether you are having trouble with the questions or the HPT.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Board footer