You are not logged in.

#1 08-04-08 16:23:20

iwanadrive

why oh why parallel park?!

Hi guys, well i have secretly had my test booked for some time and its now next week.  Fairly happy on the driving front, okish on most maneuvers, except parallel park :evil:  I could do this a few months back but over the past week or two of practicing i just can't get it.  I don't think its a nerves thing, i have never been very good on this maneuver and used to get it right on his old car not his new one. My instructor doesn't seem overly concerned but i am!  I either overdo it and bang into the curb, i do this more often than getting too far away.  I suggested me turning the whole wheel to the right when trying to get parallel but this just resulted in me doing too far away.  I just don't seem to be able to get it. 

Just wondering whether any one has any tips they can give me, things that may just help, i'm willing to give anything a go!  My problem is knowing when to turn it the second time to the right.  Obviously i will continue to practice to get this right, but figured someone elses perspective or ideas may just give me a fresh injection.

Cheers

08-04-08 16:23:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: why oh why parallel park?!

#2 09-04-08 00:23:50

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

easy peasy. lower the nearside wing mirror and you will see the kerb.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 09-04-08 07:15:58

adi
Verified Member
Website

either overdo it and bang into the curb, i do this more often than getting too far away.

When you get to this stage, genuinely look at what your doing with the car.
When pupils first learn a manouevre they are given certain methods to help to get the car into the right place.
These methods work most if not all the time, but certain variables can upset the methods. Once a pupil has got to grips with a method they should start to look beyond it and take in more information as to what is going on and how the car is behaving, eventually moving away from the nethod and looking at the bigger picture.

iwanadrive, use your method to start with but then look beyond that at where the car is actually going, you know where the car will need to end up. If your looking at 'the bigger picture' you will see a kerb strike coming before it happens and you can then take steps to avoid it.
If it's really bad, suggest to your instructor to practice it with no instruction at all and to be 'let loose' and try your own ideas with it, your instructor can answer your queries but you might get your head round it more without anyone 'butting in' if you know what i mean!

#4 14-04-08 18:46:54

iwanadrive

Thanks for your tips, my instructor has given me some tips on how to correct it and like you suggest adi, i need to look at the bigger picture and what the car is doing in order to ensure i don't hit the curb.  Lets just hope i don't get it on my test!

#5 16-04-08 13:03:13

iwanadrive

Well, had my first test today and my parallel park went absoloutely fine, first time i had done it right in ages, the rest of the test didn't quite go as well. The test went well, but got 2 serious, and 3 minors.  One serious for not looking again as i came off the roundabout and another serious due to my positioning when going through a bridge designed only for one car, i was in the middle of the road, rather than staying over to the left.  A  bit disheartening, but i did better than expected! Both the examiner and instructor told me to get it booked back in asap, but seeing as i failed only today, i'll give it a few days before booking it in again and putting myself back under all that emotional stress!

#6 16-04-08 15:28:59

mikerow
Verified Member
Website

3 minors that shows you can drive but you just made 2 daft mistakes.
Pick yourself up and brush yourself off and go for it again soon.

http://www.learnnpass.co.uk/

Driving should be fun

Board footer