You are not logged in.

#1 31-03-08 19:59:40

egirl

Just some advice needed...

Hi all,
I've been reading these boards for a few weeks now, and it has really helped  big_smile - so thanks everyone!!!

I've got my test booked for the 14th April (just writing that is making me nervous!), I've had about 30 lessons since February, and about 20 lessons two years ago. The last lesson I had was a complete disaster, I forgot everything I learnt, and made some really dangerous mistakes. Up until then everything was going okay, but when my instructor started talking about my test - that was it, I completely lost it ( I also had a very late night - my daughter was ill, so I was tired - but I thought it would be ok). Ive got another lesson tommorrow morning and I'm worried that it's gonna happen again. I have no problems with my manoeuvres,  but when I'm out on the road, it's either I'm thinking about my MSM so much I miss opportunities at junctions/roundabouts or I'm concentrating on traffic that I forget my MSM, it's so frustrating that I find it difficult to do both and it's hard not to get really annoyed at yourself! :x (I thought I was good at multitasking until I started driving  yikes!!!!)
Okay, enough of my rambling  big_smile my question is: how do you know when your really ready for the test? I felt I was, but after that bad lesson I'm starting to doubt myself, and it's really knocked my confidence - I'm terrified I'm gonna cause an accident.

31-03-08 19:59:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Just some advice needed...

#2 31-03-08 20:56:27

littlemissbitch

hey don't worry , i had been driving 4 year's on L plates before i got a adi doing fine i was really confident , and the minute i got a adi i went nervous and started doing things i never did with my hubby in my own car , then when he told me to book my test i really started to mess up , the week before everything went wrong my adi even said come on pull yourself together your test is next week , i did things on that lesson which would of instantly failed me , but on my lesson before the test everything went well and the test went well and i passed, and after speaking to my neighbour's daughters who have passed there test's in the last ywo year's they said they did the same so i think it must be normal to make huge mistakes when the test is looming , anyway good luck with your test smile

#3 31-03-08 21:32:29

gs1974

egirl, you need to be honest with yourself - and ask your instructor to be honest with you, as well.

If you don't feel ready then the last thing you need is a disaster on the test, because that's hardly going to make you feel any better.

I don't know how you've been doing as I'm not your instructor, but tell him/her your concerns and ask if they think you're ready. The thing is, it's easy to tell someone to pull themselves together, but it might be that being in pieces is the way things currently stand with that individual's driving and it needs something a bit more positive in the way of action to put things right (and that means possibly from both you and your instructor). Just geeing someone up by saying 'you can do it' without knowing the facts is also pointless. Only you can make the final decision (along with your instructor).

I've had lots of pupils who've often had a stinker of a lesson just before their test, but otherwise they were definitely ready. But I've also had pupils who had tests booked and who were repeatedly not doing things properly or safely, and in those cases we've put their tests back a little.

Please don't take this the wrong way - but honestly, if you aren't ready and feel like you do, then doing badly on your test will not be good for your already dented confidence. It may well be all you need is a few more lessons to get it right and that'll be it.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 04-04-08 18:03:52

Chewy20

Hi egirl.  Goodluck for the test!!!  Just wanted to say...I know exactly how you feel...before my test was booked, I felt more confident that I was progressing well and getting nearer to being ready.  But the lesson after it was booked completely through me, I just wasn't driving like I normally do, I'd also had a really busy week and I believe it was  a week day, when I am actually used to weekends (often after a lie in,lol) so I think that after a busy day at work and then have to concentrate on learning to drive, I completely lost it too!!  I was driving up near the test centre too and that just made things even worse, we laughed at my mistakes, although I was annoyed! Although I did not feel particularly nervous, I just found it hard to do nething right, so I think its uncontrollable!  So my recommendations is "try" and stay calm, have a good nights rest if you can.  Believe it or not,whenever I am tired I aways notice and so does my driving instructor how differently I drive!  I think its quite common for learners to do things wrong nearing the test, after all we are only human and nerves do get the better of us on occasions!! All the best and let us know how it goes.  I am sure you and your driving instructor have agreed together that you are ready for this and you obviously have shown the capability to pass and get out their on your own.  Go for it!  Ps.  Experienced drivers have the same issues....their driving is different with lack of sleep, after arguments etc, so it might not of even been because you mentioned the test!

x~Jill~x
Theory Passed - Q's 49/50 Hp 57/75  (20/02/08)
Practical Passed - 6 Minors (05/06/08)

#5 04-04-08 19:46:58

egirl

Hi all,
Thanks so much for all of your replies  big_smile much appreciated. I've had two more lessons since the disaster lesson  yikes and they were both great, I feel a lot more confident, and I'm actually looking forward to my test!! I'm treating it like it's only going to be an 'assessment of my driving' lol, I would really like another persons opinion of my driving I suppose - so I hope I'll get feedback off the examiner. I would really love to pass, but it's more important to me that I'm a safe driver (especially after THAT lesson!)

Thanks again everyone - I'll let you know how I get on  big_smile

#6 14-04-08 20:23:28

Shazzer

Hi egirl, how did it go??

#7 14-04-08 20:43:15

egirl

You wouldn't believe it!   roll The steering went kaput on my instructors car, so I decided to change it rather than try and get another car -  so its now May 8th   roll seems like maybe fate stepped in  neutral

#8 15-04-08 19:41:30

Shazzer

Who knows! well good luck for then, smile

Board footer