You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 13-06-06 22:27:24

jonks

BSM Instructor Training (nationwide)

BSM Instructor Training (nationwide)

http://www.bsm.co.uk/become_a_driving_i … index.html  Tel: 08705 276 276

If you are training or have trained in the past with this company, please tell us your opinions of the training and service you received.

Please br responsible about what you post. If you had a bad experience then by all means tell us what happened, but do so responsibly. This section is not about defaming any company.

The opinions below do not represent the opinions of Driver Training Today.

13-06-06 22:27:24

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: BSM Instructor Training (nationwide)

#2 17-06-06 22:05:33

cat
Verified Member

training with bsm

i started my training with them in 2004 .  cost £2,500

to be honest the training for the theory/hazard perception was a waste of time because the best thing and the only thing that can be done with this is to do it yourself no one else can do this but you

part 2 - i did my training with the local trainer 6 sessions

again most of the training i did myself once i had been shown how to do it properly and then by reading about it to confirm that i was doing it the way that was required by me on the test.  i kept my driving one way and that was the way for the test, stick to it even now

part 3 - most of the training was in class - with some on roads this is where i felt more could of been done and a lot more time spent on this would of been appreciated.  this is the area that you need someone with experience to help you.  i did get extra from them but i had to ask it was not forth coming from their direction

i met some wonderful people during this experience of my training and i still keep in touch with them

i passed on my second attempt at part 3 which to be honest was nothing to do with the way i had been trained on my first attempt i just relax on the 2nd phase and when i passed on my second attempt i got some wonderful congrats from the people at the training centre.

now Indy due to the high cost of franchise with bsm if the cost had been reasonable (low) then i might of considered staying with them but i am soooo happy to be my own boss

Black Cat Driving School

catherine685@btinternet.com

#3 02-07-06 22:11:40

smdtr

Same here I trained 2002 Glasgow/Hamilton

Part 1 training?? was over priced it was some papers and mock tests.

Part 2 6 hours and again shown the ropes you do the practice.  From the Hamilton office, very good trainer.

Part 3 Half class other half in car paired.  Class sessions always seemed to be a waste of time but looking back some were very useful.
I had 3 trainers all available at the end of the phone.  It felt that we were left to work it out on our own a lot of the time but I suppose that is the nature of the job.  I went back to my Hamilton trainer and paid for extra part 3 training which resulted in a 1st time pass and I would definitely suggest taking extra part 3 lessons.

My training experience was good and the trainee licence was a benefit.

#4 22-07-06 18:22:51

JamieADI
Verified Member

I started training with BSM in August 2005 and qualified in May 2006.  The course cost me £2,500 and this included a discount for full payment.  In return for my investment I received a box of books and a letter stating when my courses would be.

The course started with a half-day 'On-Road' session where you were paired up with another trainee and had to do a commentary drive whilst the other person was driving.  I then had to attempt to teach the trainer how to move off and stop.  I'm sure that it was the trainer's brief to make you feel as stupid as possible. 

The part 1 training was adequate.  I feel that I could have completed this on my own quite easily.  I ended up purchasing some Focus CD-ROMs to help me even though BSM sold me a DVD with questionable picture quality.

The part 2 training was much better.  I had, I think, 6 on-road sessions to get my driving up to speed.  All of the training was on a 2/1 basis.  The courses lasted about 3 hours so it was 90 minutes each.  The part 2 training culminated in a mock test.  Everyone who I talked to failed the mock test badly.  One fellow trainee received 44 driving faults. yikes yikes  It seems to me that BSM fail everyone on the mock test to 'prepare' them for the standard of driving required on the part 2 test. 

The '40 hours' part 3 training consisted of alternate days in the classroom and on the road.  The on-road training was, again, conducted on a 2:1 basis.  We went from 'levels of instruction' to 'core competencies' and finished with PST practice.  The training was OK but it seemed to me (at the time and in hindsight) that the trainers were trying to show how clever they were by putting as many stupid faults as possible.  After having taught learners on a trainee license and now on a green badge, some of the faults that the trainers put in were plain nonsense.

I did think that the part 3 training was inadequate so I asked them for some more. wink I said that I didn't think that I had learned enough and thought that I would benefit from some additional 1:1 training.  They weren't too happy but I persisted and eventually they agreed.  During the additional training, I learned so much more.  The trainer didn't seem to be bogged down in the 'official BSM curriculum' and even went as far as saying he disagreed with some of it.  The long and short of it is that I passed Pt 3 first time and couldn't have done it without BSM.

I am of the opinion that Parts 1 & 2 can be completed independently but, with nothing to compare it to, I cannot recommend BSM highly enough.

#5 22-07-06 18:50:23

la.monikita
Verified Member

Well done, that's an excellent account of your training. Brilliant result on part 3 too!

BTW are you still with BSM?

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#6 22-07-06 19:13:41

luchell

Great account there. I had the same training. I have written in depth on the boards so didnt put it again here. Except my views were a little different. Its was ok to be honest BUt i couldnt have passed first time without THIS forum on part 3. I felt hung out to dry on my pink AND spent 9,600 on franchise fees in 6 months neutral OUCH now ive seen my first years accounts neutral

Well im an Adi now and thats what matters. I passed all three parts first time with results of 100/59, part two 2 faults (i didnt need anywork to be honest trainer said that as i had been doing advanced tests so the training was ok but didnt like two to one at all all through the course because i was always ahead therefore in the back more of the time. Part three after three months on pink licence 5/4 Pst ten.

Training was ok, overpriced for what you got. Cannot argue as i passed everything with alot of input and sharing with my friends on here.  lol I ran as soon as my contract was over and never looked back although ive had my problems with cars etc.

Office support was good, office manager VERY nice and kind, always had time for me. It is certainly NOt the worst course out there. Ther e was help on the phone avaliablle. Trainers always new exactly who i was when i rang which was very nice.

I felt the trainer s were good some VERY very good. One in particul;ar would mesmorise me with his passion for being an adi and the way he trained us. VERY good. I loved getting him for the part three on roads. Because i was so enthusiastic he often linked onto me cos i would hang off his everyword. I did feel they were bound by the constraints of the course. Part two trainer top notch to. So like i say not bad actual training just the course i found could have been structured better. Theres alot worse out there. Main point i did not like AT ALL was they pushed the pink so much.

I was guaranteed that NO ONE really passed without one and failure would ensue should i not take one so i signed up to realise it was my tasty franchise fee that was important which saddened me to a degree. Still i had some VERY good experience on it i would recomend the course just not the pink on a full time franchise. I ahd to take that one as i had no job due to disability at thew time. I left nursing to go on the pink cos i could no longer do it.

Still i would say training yes not too bad just look for a local school for a pink. Part three training classroom could have been better. Im not interested in an 8 hour day on business skills that involve if i lose one pupil i will lose so many pounds and they would refer me so thats this much then four more etc. Lovely WHEN youve qualified i would rather have had the day on instructional techniques or something.

On the whole i would rate the training 7/10 i suppose. Its a lot better than some out there, i would however now recommend a GOOD indy for parts 2 and 3 part one yourself. I paid about 600 i think for that .

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 23-07-06 13:21:42

JamieADI
Verified Member

Well done, that's an excellent account of your training. Brilliant result on part 3 too!

BTW are you still with BSM?

Thanks.  Yes, I'm still with BSM.  I know that the franchise fee is expensive but the area in which I work is over run with indys and I don't want to risk going out on  my own too early without too many referrals.  There are other driving schools I have tried but they can't promise me 35-40 hours per week which is what I have at the moment.

#8 23-07-06 15:05:42

luchell

Last three posts removed to go back on topic. The instructor training reviews need to be kept on topic. so we can discuss this on the boards if we wish smile

#9 03-09-06 11:52:34

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I did my instructor training with the Sunderland BSM training centre who i found to be very good. 2:1 ratio in the car was usefull to me, but i would have been annoyed if i couldn't have got the extra 1:1 lessons i had. Dean and Ian who are still there were extremely good.
1 worry was the upfront fees, though i suspect that if you spoke to them you could do it PAYG.
Classroom sessions were useful, as i got to meet other potential instructors.
Be wary though, BSM standards vary a lot, and make sure that you get on with your branch manager, and do not give large quantities of money out immediately without checking out your instructors.
oh, and unless you get very good support after you qualify, run!

#10 23-10-06 17:41:14

Macavity
Verified Member

I am currently doing my ADI training with BSM.

They have recently been covering their theory and practical elements by having all the prospective instructors from each area travel into training centres.

I have found this to be impractical as I had an 80 mile round trip for each session - I had to travel from my home in Cheshire to Bolton - and also quite disjointed. The instructors themselves were a nice bunch and very knowledgeable and I can see some advantages to having different points of view, but in actual fact there was a loss of continuity.

BSM are now thankfully reverting to their previous system where instructors have their practical training more locally from designated trainers.

#11 24-10-06 00:15:05

c-way
Verified Member
Website

I trained with BSM from start to finish and although it was a bit pricey and I could have done the part 1 myself with little cost, I wouldn't have changed a thing!  I was lucky that for my part 2 I had 1-2-1 tuition for the whole phase and only for the part 3 did it get to 2-1.   I must admit I paid extra for a few more lessons for the part 2 & 3 because I doubted my ability.  For the part 2 this proved unnecessary but for the part 4 perfect and they also matched anything that I paid with additional training  on them.  OK the in house sessions are a little frustrating when all you want to do is get on the road and learn, but it was worth it.  I qualified with BSM and stuck with them for another 18 months and then went independent.  I will never regret this decision as I could not afford the franchise fee!!!  However, I loved the training that much that for my check test training I have paid for and booked on their course where I used to train.  It will cost me the time, the travelling and an overnight stay, but they are worth it and would never hesitate to recommend their Driving Instructor Training Programme.

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 24-10-06 00:23:32

c-way
Verified Member
Website

For the part 2 this proved unnecessary but for the part 4 perfect

Yes folks just realised that my keyboard skills need some work -  I know there is no part 4! sorry meant part 3!

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#13 25-10-06 13:24:53

Carlo
Verified Member

Was getting worried for a bit there.  Thought I'd missed a part!!  big_smile

"It's easy when you know how!"

#14 26-11-06 13:11:08

Leadplayer
Verified Member
Website

I'm doing my training with BSM @ ITDC Doncaster

The upto date reference manuals for build up to part1 (theory) are great and assignment 5 which is the multi choice questions has practicaly every question included with the relevent references to where you can find the answer The video's to prepare you for the HP section where as good as any others i've seen .

All of my part 2 training sessions bar 2 have been on a 1 to 1 basis with an absolutely fantastic wealth of knowlege available from the Coaches for you to tap into

The one thing to remember with BSM is as they say " it's down to you and how much effort you want to put into qualifying " should you ask for help its always there either in the form of " Try looking here and see what answer you come up with " or " This is what you need to do "

They have got me to part 2 practical giving me both comfort and confidence in my own ability and i'm looking forward to 18th Dec to see if i'm as ready as Both they and I think I am

Final point which I understand is slightly specific to BSM the complete training starts from day 1 and therefore you are partialy prepared for the next stage whilst persuing the stage your currently working at

The coaches at Doncaster are professional and helpfull with all aspects of the course and so helpfull its embarrasing sometimes " Nothing is too much trouble for them "

Whilst quite detailed this as any other comment made on here is obviously my personal opinion formed purely by my experiences with BSM so far

Dave Grade 5 DSA and I A M registered Instructor

#15 27-01-07 23:03:47

tmg555
Verified Member

Cost £2350 Part one like most other people recieved a box of books and just got on with studying and went for test not much help with hp had to find my own way around that one. Part two was top notch had a 1 to 1 session every week with a top instructor very very good, got me through pt 2 test 1st time with 4 minors. Pt 3 big let down, i did'nt have a clue how to instruct and was'nt taught how to do it, spent most of pt 3 in classroom going through roll play, when we did go out it was all pst based and 2 pupils to 1 trainer spent alot of time sitting in back of car watching the trainer rip the pdi in the front to bits, knowing that i was next to be torn to bits. Not a very nice experiance. Core comps were not practiced out on the road but only talked about in the classroom.
For me there methods for part 3 didnt work. I know other people found it ok, but the training should be suited to the pupils needs, and it did'nt suit me.

Les Hayes
Approved Driving Instructor
For driving lessons in and around the Reading area
www.hayes-driving-lessons.co.uk
Tel 0118 9626 473

#16 28-01-07 15:08:00

Macca
Verified Member

Hi TMG999
Do BSM train you intensively over six days like The Instructor College (TIC). 20 hours in classroom and 18 hours 2 to 1 in-car (i.e. 9 hours actual practice as an instructor). If so not surprised you found it hard going. At least you wheren't charged £3,445 (current TIC price).

#17 28-01-07 15:49:08

Leadplayer
Verified Member
Website

Hi TMG999
Do BSM train you intensively over six days like The Instructor College (TIC). If so not surprised you found it hard going. At least you wheren't charged £3,445 (current TIC price).

I've just had the main part of part 3 training 2 day's a week over 3 weeks inhouse day and onroad day each week with as much further on road and other help required upto test day

there's also the mock test which as usual is marked way above the official test standards along with the " Role Play " practice sessions certainly gets you in the right frame of mind and attitued to prepare you for whats coming followed by further onroad days to correct any faults prior to test date

My intentions on getting my green badge are to stay with BSM for the foreseable future

Anyone else in the training process " Have fun and Good Luck "

#18 28-07-07 19:51:26

Leadplayer
Verified Member
Website

Passed Part 3 first attempt with excellent help and guidance as to whats needed from Natalie ( BSM field Trainer ) 7th June

when asked by examiner how I felt i'd done prior to test result I explained positive and enjoyed the test to which she replied " you must be mad I have never been told that the trainee enjoyed their part 3 "

#19 06-04-08 23:40:54

walsh
Verified Member

Personally I wasn't impressed with BSM at all.

After paying the fee I ended up having to go to an Independent to get proper one to one training as they instructors down at Bath we're very poor IMO.

Now thats not to say I don't regret being stronger and complaining as now looking back I wish I did as right from the start I wasn't impressed but like a fool paid up front.

Would love to know how many pupils pass through ALL these schools as I'm guessing they take up much of the failures compared to the Indy Instructors.

#20 07-04-08 07:40:31

tobyphotos
Verified Member
Website

I also trained with BSM. and reading the previous posts they all echo some if not all of my experiences with the organisation. Like so many others i didn't know any better, so i signed up with money up front.
part 1 could be done on your own with a little guidance (although i got loads of paperwork)
Part 2 Training i felt they were treating it as a bit of fun because it is not difficult to get an experienced driver to change habits. I was not really happy with this as i got 2:1 training and a different trainer each time. and the what they said was not consistant with the previous trainer. This inconsistency cost me an attempt at part 2.
Was given a mock test along with another trainee (failed) but with the comment 'that is a lot better than average and i will be surprised if you do not pass'

Part 3 training was certainly not as good as it could have been, as with part 2 got a different trainer each time until they decided to put all trainers into the field.
I went out on a pink licence and the experience has been invaluable. The support i got from my C/M was by far better than any i got from the field trainers. as they gave me the time to talk over any of my concerns.

With this in mind i went and found an other trainer outside BSM (yes i did payfor it) but in the end it was all worth the money, as effectively he had to Re -train me. and he was cheaper than the BSM trainer doing 'Private' so to speak. i should also like to add that this fellows style suited me better as it was not so brash.

All in all not a particularly good experience Training with BSM. but have met some real good people on my way (some not so good)

With hind sight and knowing what i know now i would not recommend training with BSM in my area but would say find  a very good indy trainer but first talk to some instructors. as i feel the BSM trainers, think 'i am getting paid and there are many more out there so Reilly do not have to give my all '

I know it is sad but this is my honest oppinion.

Taking a Positive approach to learning to Drive
www.positivetuition.co.uk
+447828724510

Board footer