You are not logged in.

#1 04-04-08 18:57:19

stidds
Verified Member

1st day on a trainee license

I do not post often, but have found this site invaluable with my Instructor training.

Sorry for the long post but had to speak to someone about my day.

Well today was my 1st day working on a trainee license with BSM.

I had a new student who has had no practical driving experience at all who had been booked in for a week and I was given all the background information from BSM.  The second student I had, I received no information about from BSM as he was a last minute addition.

I spent a good few hours yesterday on putting together a Lesson Plan for the new student, things I should say to him, questions to ask etc.  I also made sure I knew where he lived so I would have no surprises and also time researching a good nursery site for him.  I was really well prepared and I was quite confident on the previous night.  The second student I had no details at all and although this worried me, I also realised that this is exactly the experience that I am using the trainee license for.  This is where my Recap and Q&A comes into play.  I would need to ask him the right things and listen well so as to be able to tailor the lesson for his needs.

Along comes the morning of my 1st lesson and although I am confident, I was shaking like a leaf.  I haven't been that nervous for a long time.  Questions flying through my brain, 'would I be good enough', 'would we crash', 'how can I be experienced enough to give someone lessons', 'what if I get tongue tied (again)'.

I arrived with plenty of time to spare for my lesson and used this time to calm my nerves and lightly go over the lesson plan to make sure nothing was missing. I met the student at his home and then started the lesson, I drove to the nursery site and we went over the cockpit drill & controls, which went hitch free.  He had a 2 hour lesson so we proceeded to moving off and stopping.  He picked it up really well and we had numerous attempts, after a while we carried on with moving off and stopping but added in some gear changes.  The 2 hours flew by and I really enjoyed it, more importantly the student said he really enjoyed it and he said it wasn't as hard as he thought it would be.  He booked more lessons for the next week.

I went to the next lesson with the biggest smile on my face ever, I was grinning from ear to ear.  What a great job to be doing.

The next lesson was the one I was worrying about, the student informed me on the Recap that he has only had 1 lesson before, but has driven cars since he was 15 and has owned his own car for 2 years.  I once again drove to another nursery site and we went over the cockpit drill and controls although I didn't go into so much detail with controls as he owns the same car as I was driving.  I decided to get him driving and look at him that way.  We still went over POM and MSM routines etc.  We did a short drive as I wanted to gauge his driving experience and found that although he could find the bite and mirrors with little problem, he was severly lacking in his routines, I talked him through moving off using POM routine and also used my core comps with regard to his bad habits.

At the end of the lesson he too booked more lessons and said he enjoyed the experience.

So overall I am really, really happy.  I have a full day of 2 hour lessons tomorrow and I am now looking forward to meeting the students and teaching them to drive.

Once again sorry for the long post, just needed people to talk to.

Sean

big_smile big_smile

ADI Part 1 - Passed July 2006
ADI Part 2 - Passed August 2007
ADI Part 3 - Delayed Pass June 2008
ADI Part 3 - Passed August 2008

04-04-08 18:57:19

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 1st day on a trainee license

#2 04-04-08 19:06:41

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

Glad it went well Sean

Best of luck for all your future lessons and Part 3  big_smile

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 04-04-08 20:29:01

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

ahhhh well done to you , good speech there
im doing my part 3 trainning so that has really hepled as i know i will be very nervious

em xxx

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

#4 04-04-08 21:04:00

catweazle
Verified Member

hope my first day goes that well

catweazle

#5 04-04-08 22:36:35

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Nice one Sean  big_smile Enjoying the extra experience & further learning on a pink is what it is all about!

#6 05-04-08 11:00:24

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

Good write up Steve, glad you are enjoying it. Can you explain POM?
Cheers.

Driver & Rider Training Centre www.rjhgroup.co.uk ADI Approved Driving Instructor Grade 5 (Car) DAS Direct Access Scheme Instructor (Motorcycle) DSA Driving Standards Agency- ATB Authorised Training Body (Motorcycle) RPMT Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainer

#7 05-04-08 15:39:59

Janeway
Verified Member
Website

Good start Stidds  big_smile

RJHGT:    POM = Prepare Observe Move

Wendy Farran

ORDIT Registered ADI Trainer
Fleet Trainer
Grade 6
B.Ed
http://www.voyagerinstructortraining.com

#8 05-04-08 18:05:50

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Wendy smile
So does the Prepare mean Cockpit Drill?

Driver & Rider Training Centre www.rjhgroup.co.uk ADI Approved Driving Instructor Grade 5 (Car) DAS Direct Access Scheme Instructor (Motorcycle) DSA Driving Standards Agency- ATB Authorised Training Body (Motorcycle) RPMT Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainer

#9 05-04-08 21:34:58

stidds
Verified Member

Ok, 2nd day now over and once again everything went really well.

I had an early lesson with a young lady who failed a test about 2 years ago and stopped driving immediately after.  I went over POM and MSM etc and then got her driving as soon as possible.  She was really worried that she had forgotten everything, but she picked it up really quick. 

My 2nd student of the day didn't happen.  I phoned the office to check on the pickup address as it was different to the home address and I wanted to make sure this was right, which it was.  I got to the address, knocked and knocked but received no answer.  I called the student and she said that she had booked for next Saturday, my booking form said today.  I asked her to call the office to inform them and re-book.  She did this and she has now been re-scheduled.

My final student was a completely un-trained, extremely nervous young lady.  But she was ever so attentive and not only took everything in, but was asking some really good questions also.  I could just tell she is going to be a great driver one day as she wanted to know why we do the things we teach.  We spent a while doing cockpit drill as she was very short and petite and needed to make sure she was comfortable in the drivers seat, she said at the beginning of the lesson that she was worried that she wouldn't be able to see properly, we soon took these fears away.  By the end of the 2 hour lesson she was moving off and stopping with a gear change.

Now tomorrow (Sunday) I only have 1 student, which is great by me as it is so mentally tiring at present (my jaw also aches from talking constantly, LOL). 

Next week I go back to my everyday job, which is going to seem so boring up to Instructing.

Sean

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 07-04-08 11:00:19

stidds
Verified Member

Thanks Wendy smile
So does the Prepare mean Cockpit Drill?

RJHGT

Prepare = Clutch Down, select gear, set gas, find biting point.

#11 07-04-08 18:07:36

cfc2607
Verified Member

Hi Stidds,

Glad your first couple of days went well for you. I've just sent off for my trainee licence and am already getting nervous   roll  roll

DSA ADI
Part 1 - passed 1st time
Part 2 - 5 minor faults
Part 3 - 4/5 passed 1st time

#12 07-04-08 21:02:43

stidds
Verified Member

cfc2607, I remember being like that a couple of weeks ago.  I am so glad that I have gone on a trainee licence as I now know that this is the job I want to do, which gives me a massive boost for my part 3.

You will be fine, a love it like I do.

#13 08-04-08 19:05:06

alt
Verified Member

good luck to you stidds, remember to practice for your p3 when you get home n try not to do too many hrs.

#14 09-04-08 00:20:54

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

hi stidds. glad you are having fun, but with your pupil that had his own car etc. bit more q+a and you don't drive him to anywhere. He knew how to drive. possibly with wrong technique, but he knew. The more you ask them the more you know . good luck. jon

#15 09-04-08 13:49:12

outnabout
Verified Member
Website

Well done my friend, sounds like you are well on the road to becoming a very good instructor as you are taking the time to prep your self for the lessons (keep it up).

You did better than me when I tried trainee licence has 3 lesson on the 1st day and threw in the towel there and then (with BSM also trained through them)

now a year on I have my own indipendant driving school and just about to take on another instructor.

Board footer