You are not logged in.

#1 20-02-08 23:09:28

Leprechaun

DIAmond - take 2

I've sent the application form off for my DIAmond retest but i'm slightly concerned i've got to do it in an area that's totally alien to me.

Has anyone done a DIAmond test on the Wirral? Or does anyone know the roads round Wirral? I think mainly i'm interested in is there anything specific i should look out for - strange junctions etc.

Any help would be appreciated

20-02-08 23:09:28

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: DIAmond - take 2

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 21-02-08 11:23:20

Gizmotime
Administrator

I think mainly i'm interested in is there anything specific i should look out for - strange junctions etc.

Any help would be appreciated

Hiya, Don't know the area that well, but I can say that doing any driving in area's that are alien to you can be beneficial, you are not as complacent as you would be driving somewhere you know well.
You are more prone to be more alert to road signs/lane markings etc etc
Best of luck.

Regards Giz wink

#3 21-02-08 18:59:44

copone
Verified Member

I would have thought that if you intend on passing your Diamond test, surely you should be able to drive in any area, with knowledge of the roads or not. Too much road knowledge can be dangerous. Just do what you have been taught. Chill and enjoy. Best of luck.

ADI. Class 1 Police Advanced. HGV Class 1. Member of IAM AND DIA. Rospa Gold. National Diploma for Advanced Instruction. and Examiner. IAM fleet trainer. Safed trainer.

#4 23-02-08 21:39:46

Van Man
Verified Member

Yes, agree with above. I have found tests better in a strange areas neutral You always have to read the road and interperate it as you find it. I know it doesn't feel that good inside when you are on test, but you will certainly do your best. God luck.

DON'T GET ME STARTED.
I'm not doing it wrong,Its just another way of doing it right!
IAM observer

#5 24-02-08 17:22:04

fatdad
Verified Member
Website

Totally agree with all above took Diamond special in Bristol didn't have a clue where I was and didnt make any difference still passed if your driving is up to standard you will pass big_smile

ADI,Fleet trainer,Rospa Diploma car +LGV ,IAM car+LGV, DIA Special test.

#6 24-02-08 20:11:10

Leprechaun

Thank you for all your replies - i know if i can drive well enough i can drive anywhere but it's nice to have some inside knowledge.

Anyway there's an update.

I've just been talking to my ADI (who also happens to be the examiner for my area) and she said she'd been talking to the DIA for something else and they mentioned that the Wirral examiner has retired  yikes That means my next nearest examiner is Bolton - hey Giz i'm coming to your area  big_smile That means you can give me all the secrets  big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

#7 17-03-08 21:51:23

Leprechaun

Right, i've now got a test date - but i'm not telling you when it is  tongue I'm meeting my examiner at a Little Chef on the East Lancs Road, i'm not sure of the EXACT location (i know it's on the manchester side of haydock M6 J23) but he's sending me a map in the post so once i've seen that i'll be ok. After that i have no idea where i'll be going.

Oh dear, the nerves are already setting in slightly. But for me that's a good thing. I generally seem to do better when i'm nervous in advance rather than things where i seem to be ok until the actual event  neutral I've got a 2 hour lesson booked with my ADI so i hope that goes ok

#8 18-03-08 11:23:42

copone
Verified Member

Good luck and enjoy. Show them what you can do.

ADI. Class 1 Police Advanced. HGV Class 1. Member of IAM AND DIA. Rospa Gold. National Diploma for Advanced Instruction. and Examiner. IAM fleet trainer. Safed trainer.

#9 18-03-08 11:25:04

Lynne
Verified Member

You'll be fine Lep go show 'em what your made of x  wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 18-03-08 14:21:42

ExAdiNigel

You'll be fine Lep go show 'em what your made of x  wink

I thought it was a driving test, not a medical test Lynne?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#11 19-03-08 07:09:40

Gizmotime
Administrator

That means my next nearest examiner is Bolton - hey Giz i'm coming to your area  big_smile That means you can give me all the secrets  big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

Hiya Leprechaun,

Sorry hun don't know how I missed this, must have had a mental block yikes Anything you need to know about the Bolton area just shout, the test route's aren't to bad at all.
I'm here if you need me.

Giz

#12 19-03-08 16:04:28

Target
Verified Member
Website

Would you turn up for a Theory Test without reading a book? Would you try to wing it on your next CT?, without taking some extra tuition?

I guess the answers no.

So take yourself over to the area, find out where your going and get a little driving in before doing the test.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#13 19-03-08 21:21:43

Gizmotime
Administrator

If you want to meet up anytime and run around the area, then let me know I would be willing to help in any way I can. wink

Giz

#14 19-03-08 22:07:47

Leprechaun

that could be very helpful thank you  8-)

I'll be in touch  smile

#15 20-03-08 07:40:57

Gizmotime
Administrator

Your more than welcome anytime hun.

Giz wink

#16 24-03-08 16:48:34

Leprechaun

well i've had my last official lesson before the test and i'm not sure whether i feel better or worse now  neutral neutral

As expected there were good bits and bad bits - the worst thing which is a recurring fault is that my mirror work is not as good as it should be sad Apparently my mirror observations are good during general driving but coming up to junctions etc i'm doing everything too squashed together ie doing mirror(s) and signal at the same time. So now i've got to remember mirror, mirror, signal as i'm coming up to all junctions and stuff - places where i need to signal. I also need to remember the distinction between IAM and DIAmond in that for the DIAmond test you signal regardless of whether you can actually SEE someone directly to benefit - the argument being that there may be a pedestrian just round the corner you can't see who might see your signal before you see them, also (i think but am not sure) the other argument is that there's so much to think about at junctions that if you put your signal on at least it's done and as long as it doesn't confuse anyone then there's no harm in it. "If in doubt - signal"!

The effect of my ABS on the emergency stop scared me  yikes I've never experienced the ABS on this car before and it was pretty violent yikes Kathy gave me the 'stop' signal and i stopped, she said it was a good stop but because of the feel of the ABS i freaked out yikes I knew what it was but it still scared me yikes She said i looked like a frightened rabbit and made me pull over for a few minutes to compose myself  yikes :oops: One distinct criticism she had of the ES is that i didn't check all around me before moving off again  - i was too busy having collywobbles :oops:

I bought rescue remedy tablets and i meant to try them out today but i forgot - and if they work they would've been pretty useful today cos i was pretty nervous  :oops:

I've got to ring Kathy after my test - let's hope i've got good news to report this time

#17 24-03-08 18:59:36

copone
Verified Member

Good luck, and just chill out. You will do it no problem. Plenty of confidence and show them what you can do. The time will fly by. Afterwards you will wonder what you were getting worked up over.

#18 25-03-08 08:48:04

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hiya Hun,
Of course you will have good news to report, don't let the PMA slip wink

Giz.

#19 25-03-08 19:11:24

Leprechaun

well i've had a drive round the test area today and what a drive it was!!  yikes

We left at around 10.30am and i think got back at about 13.30  yikes We did stop for a break in the middle but that was only about 20 minutes, the rest was driving and i REALLY felt it when i got back  yikes yikes It was very enjoyable but really exhausting too  yikes

I think i did ok at the start of the drive, my concentration levels were good and i wasn't picked up on mirrors at all  big_smile I experienced some really nasty roads including one which was only wide enough for a single car and i had to stop in a passing place to let 2 cars  come through. I did make a hash of a few things too  sad :oops: On one road i misjudged the amount of hill and bend, and ended up doing the hill and bend on my brakes sad If i go round there on my test i need to remember to drop a gear so i've got more control. Also at one point i almost totally missed the fact that there was a roundabout in front of me  yikes yikes  Thankfully i stopped but it would definitely have been at least a minor mark on the test if not a serious  yikes  :x One fault i was picked up on towards the end of the drive was that i wasn't making sure the car was completely stopped before taking my left hand off the wheel so that's another thing i need to be careful of on thursday.

One thing that was really good about today was that i was able to find the place where i'm meeting the examiner on thursday and get my bearings so i'm not panicking trying to find it  8-)

I think i feel happier now, knowing i've been round the area and if i'm not successful on thursday at least it won't be through lack of preparation. Last time i wasn't actually sure i was ready and i was winging it a bit so i'm not really surprised i didn't pass - this time i've worked hard!!

#20 25-03-08 19:17:01

kevdyas
Verified Member
Website

Which DIAmond Test are you taking? I was thinking of having a go at the Special Test but cannot find any information on it now 8-)

Kev.

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Drive iQ Pro Coach
IAM Senior Observer/DIAmond Advanced Motorist/RoSPA - Gold
www.wheelsbydrivingschool.com

#21 25-03-08 19:45:36

Leprechaun

it's the normal DIAmond advanced - which i can see from your sig you've already done  big_smile big_smile

Board footer