You are not logged in.

#1 21-03-08 15:28:03

Flynn

Advice for hazard perception test

Hiya, I had my first theory test about a month ago after loads of preparation (did ALL 964 the questions in the "Driving test success" D.V.D. as well as all 400 odd hazard perception videos) and I got 50 out of 50 for the multiple choice yet 43/75 for the hazard perception :cry: Just one point outside of the pass mark! Needless to say I was livid, I checked the results sheet just to make sure they hadn't made a mistake or anything and sure as anything it had my name on it. I just sat there for about a minute in disbelief. I think my mistake was being overly cautious about not doing too many clicks. On the Driving test success D.V.D. if I do more than about seven clicks in quick suceession I tend to get disqualified. So on my actual hazard perception test I only allowed myself three clicks per hazard. This was emphasised by the problem that on the D.S.A. hazard perception test the hazards are far more drawn out and slower which makes it hard to determine when they actually want you to click. Like if a car is rolling up to a junction really slowly you can't tell if it is gonna keep rolling into your path or stop because it could at the speed that it is going in the D.S.A. clips. My second test is in 8 days, B.T.W.

21-03-08 15:28:03

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Advice for hazard perception test

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 21-03-08 16:21:44

Shazzer

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … 037.0.html

Have a look here Flynn, and welcome.

#3 21-03-08 16:25:16

Flynn

Yeah I've read that and it is all the same information over and over again. I know about potential hazards and developing hazards, bla bla bla.

#4 21-03-08 16:26:17

VandADI
Administrator

Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful on the theory test.
Forget clicking when they actually want you to click - all you are doing is trying to predict where the scoring window starts and ends.
That is not what the HP Test is about. 
If you have been using non-DSA study material you will find the disclaimer stating that the scoring window is not accurate.
What you should be doing is clicking once when you need to check mirrors - as you would do during your driving lessons once you spot a potential/developing hazards.
Click again when you would begin to brake (as in lessons)
Click again when you need to change direction (as in lessons)
By adopting this approach there is no reason why you cannot pass next time around.
Good luck.

#5 21-03-08 16:27:36

Flynn

But that is clicking three times as I did which is just another way of spacing out clicks. As I said in my original post, I am well versed in all things hazard perception and I have the experience of more than 400 hazard videos behind me.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 21-03-08 16:33:09

VandADI
Administrator

. As I said in my original post, I am well versed in all things hazard perception and I have the experience of more than 400 hazard videos behind me.

But not the DSA ones apparently, you may be clicking three times but you are trying to predict where the scoring window is because you have been using non DSA HP discs. 
I think you may have possibly done too many (over 400  yikes) clips and over analysed it too much, as a result have become fixed on where the scoring window is on the discs you have been using.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 21-03-08 16:57:42

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … 037.0.html

Have a look here Flynn, and welcome.

Yeah I've read that and it is all the same information over and over again. I know about potential hazards and developing hazards, bla bla bla.

I deliberately did not incorporate instructions as to when to click when I wrote that advice webpage. Most people use commercially available software to practice and what works with training material issued by one company will not work with another.  yikes

For instance, I had the same experience as you when I took my ADI Part 1 test - I'd used both BSM training material and the Driving Test Success discs and I used to pass the DTS Hazard Perception tests every time, but frequently failed the BSM tests...I used the same strategy on both.   roll

As Vanda correctly says, commerical training software cannot replicate the test exactly, nor are they allowed to use any of the official DSA Hazard Perception clips - they try to get their version as near as possible but some are better than others.

Watch the DVD "Are You Ready?" that the DSA sent you with your test appointment letter again - this will give you a much better insight as to how the DSA "think".

...and follow Vanda's advice...it's difficult when you're a learner to know WHEN you'd be looking in your mirrors and so on I know, but if you're having driving lessons, try and relate what you'd do if you were driving to what's on the screen rather than thinking of it as a "computer game" which many people do (waits for numerous ADI's to chip in and say "But it is a game and it's not like real driving at all" - true, but it's what we've got  lol)

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#8 21-03-08 17:01:33

Flynn

I have seen the "Are you ready" D.V.D. Again, it is completely and utterly useless I watched it before I took the test and nothing happened! Thanks for the replies though.

#9 21-03-08 19:24:06

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

I have seen the "Are you ready" D.V.D. Again, it is completely and utterly useless I watched it before I took the test and nothing happened!

Nothing happened?

Do you mean that the disc didn't work or have I misunderstood?

#10 21-03-08 20:18:53

jem
Verified Member

Forget about real life hazard perception and just stare at your computer screen for about an hour a day for a couple of weeks before your next test. This should train your eyes to look at such a small area that you should easily pass. Probably make you crap in the car though.

Click 3 times in rapid succession at the first sight of the hazard. Don't mentally switch off until the video clip ends. I must have clicked 10 times on one clip and then the scoring clip came in right at the end.

I had been driving for 30 years when I took this test and I scored 39 on my first test. I spent the next fortnight trying to force myself to stare at the screen with no scanning and got a pass with 65 the next time.

Sorry if I offend anyone but the test is a complete joke.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.

#11 22-03-08 08:27:14

keefidee
Verified Member
Website

Ditto to the above post. Unfortunately, treat it as a game.

When I first did a mock test I got a low pass because I was recognising the potential of a hazard and clicking accordingly, so was missing the marking window. When I realised the fault and clicked 'at the right time' a good pass was no problem, achieving 71/75.

Remember to click each time the hazard develops and would cause you to check mirrors, brake then alter steering.

#12 22-03-08 11:57:18

Flynn

Loopy Lou wrote:

Nothing happened?

I mean that it just told me the same old stuff that I already knew and it didn't help because I failed the first stupid hazard perception test.

#13 22-03-08 12:53:11

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

Loopy Lou wrote:

Nothing happened?

I mean that it just told me the same old stuff that I already knew and it didn't help because I failed the first stupid hazard perception test.

I feel your pain   lol

Best of luck on your next attempt  big_smile

#14 22-03-08 15:42:48

Flynn

Thanks smile The problem is that I go also only go for theory on Saturdays because the test centre is some 20 miles away from where I live and my dad works away and my mum can't drive so if I fail the second time it means I am going to have to wait another month and my instructor said I should have been driving tested Febuary!!! :oops:

#15 22-03-08 21:48:37

wolfchild08

I passed mine first time with a score of 65/75.  You can be accused of cheating if you click too many times.  When I did the test I always clicked as soon as I could see something which could potentialley develop into a hazard and then again when it started to develop into a hazard. For example, on one of the clips the moment I could see a cyclist I clicked and then again when they swerved in front of me.  You are marked out of 5 (I think) for how quickly you respond to the hazards. 

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

#16 23-03-08 09:38:42

kev elliott

Flynn,
Forget about the scoring windows and number of clicks - Click as soon as you see something that might cause you change speed or direction if you were driving.

The car rolling slowly up to the junction - if you were driving as soon as you saw the car what would you do? -Hoping for the response that you would check what was around you so if needs be you could stop or change direction. If they stop it DOES NOT MATTER that you clicked. Some hazards that you think will develop will not, however until the clip progresses you will not know that by which time in real life your response my be too late.

I remember reading somewhere that the first frame where the hazard appears is the start of the scoring window- so using that look for anything that is approaching your path.

Good luck for your next attempt.

#17 23-03-08 09:47:55

Flynn

I passed mine first time with a score of 65/75.  You can be accused of cheating if you click too many times.  When I did the test I always clicked as soon as I could see something which could potentialley develop into a hazard and then again when it started to develop into a hazard. For example, on one of the clips the moment I could see a cyclist I clicked and then again when they swerved in front of me.  You are marked out of 5 (I think) for how quickly you respond to the hazards.

Yeah that is why I only clicked three times for each hazard. I waited a few seconds after the potential hazard to make sure I got in the window. Needless to say I only got 43. I am dreading failing again, I really am. Thanks for all the advice chaps.

#18 23-03-08 10:35:28

kev elliott

[/quote]
I waited a few seconds after the potential hazard to make sure I got in the window.
[/quote]

That is your problem there Flynn - As soon as you see something that looks like it going to affect what you do click, then again when it develops and again when you would do something about it. 

#19 23-03-08 10:45:10

VandADI
Administrator

I waited a few seconds after the potential hazard to make sure I got in the window.

That is your problem there Flynn - As soon as you see something that looks like it going to affect what you do click, then again when it develops and again when you would do something about it.

Kev, I think your advice has fallen on deaf ears as this is what we have all been saying is to forget the scoring window.  Flynn has admitted to doing over 400 of these clips and has become "obsessed" by the scoring window.
I recommend my pupils use the DSA roadsense DVD, go through it ONLY ONCE, and with this advice, they pass first time.

#20 23-03-08 10:46:23

kev elliott

Vanada - This is all to common with theroy tests and the driving test, thinking along the lines of what does the examiner want to see? Rather than what do I need to do to keep me and my passengers safe. First rule is see things happening as soon as possible then react to it as you have been trained to do.

Board footer