You are not logged in.

#1 20-03-08 09:52:49

Shazzer

One extreme to the other!

I've been learning since December last year and used to start breaking way too early for junctions and traffic lights etc! Now I'm not slowing down soon enough!! But then I also get criticized for going into first gear when I could stay in second for turning off main roads. When will this balance out!?? Is it just PRACTICE ! neutral

20-03-08 09:52:49

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: One extreme to the other!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 20-03-08 12:52:49

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

This is not unusual, Shazzer so don't fret over it.

I've found that many students tend to overdo something when they've picked up on something and benefited from it - going from overbraking to underbraking (and vice versa) often happens. Look at it in a positive light!

Yes PRACTICE is the key.

Enjoy your driving lessons!

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#3 20-03-08 19:46:41

Shazzer

Thanks Zipper, just when I think i've got it sussed!! I did do well on my first emergency stop, so it's not all downhill!

#4 20-03-08 23:55:43

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

its a natural progression shazzer - first too slow - then too quick - then hopefully the right result.  the first is underconfidence  and lack of knowledge - the second overconfidence and not sure how to use that knowledge - the last ability and confidence, which is what you need to carry into your test  big_smile 

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#5 21-03-08 01:06:41

dog
Verified Member

I did terribly on my emergency stop, every time I tried it. First time I braked way too hard. Every other time I didn't brake hard enough. Got a driver fault on the actual test for not braking hard enough.

I didn't realise you could brake "too hard". I know the car is ABS equipped and I roughly know its limits.

The same applies with my car - I know its limits. I've had to stop it once in a hurry and did that just by pressing the brake pedal as hard as I could. It worked.

#6 21-03-08 06:09:32

ExAdiNigel

How can you brake too hard if you retain control of the car?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#7 21-03-08 11:57:07

dog
Verified Member

I don't know. I suppose you have to factor in that not everyone is going to pass their test and jump into a car which has all the same modern day technologies that their driving instructors car has.

Luckily I did, to an extent.

#8 21-03-08 12:02:54

Shazzer

I know that some pupils ( I'm not saying you did, Dog) make a bit of a show of the braking, lifting the leg up high and slamming onto the brake, maybe that is what they mean??

Board footer