You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 20-03-08 08:09:40

helee
Verified Member

Petrol/ Diesel

Ok I know that Diesel is going to give me better fuel economy.

Rather than doing loads of research for a rough answer I know someone here who is clever will be able to answer my question.

I have a corsa 1.2 sxi Petrol at the moment and since the start of the year I have spent £1435 in fuel not sure of mileage sorry and I know this will help the calculation. I do own this car but still paying off the loan.

If I got a Fiesta 1.4TDCi diesel how much will I save in fuel costs over the quarter.

I know its all vague but just a rough idea would be great.

Lee

20-03-08 08:09:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Petrol/ Diesel

#2 20-03-08 17:39:59

dog
Verified Member

I suppose this is all down to maths and requires you taking some figures (how much you pay per litre for petrol, how much you put in and how often, what MPG you get from your driving and your pupils driving, and how many miles are driven per week or whatever).

Wisebuyers say that an 05 Corsa 1.2 SXI (air conditioned model) will do 48.7mpg combined. An 07/08 Fiesta 1.6 Zetec (air conditioned 5 door model) will get 65mpg combined. You have to factor in that learner drivers will not be the most efficient and that Diesel is also slightly more expensive.

I really have no idea about being a driving instructor so lets assume you cover 300 miles in a week, and you pay 106.9p/litre for diesel and 102.9p/litre for petrol.

If my calculations are correct, it will cost you approximately £23 for the Fiesta, and £30 for the Corsa. That's only a £7 saving, so approximately £91 per quarter.

Remember, these are approximate figures.

#3 20-03-08 18:26:03

helee
Verified Member

Lol I am paying 108 per litre at the moment for petrol and I am doing more like 600 miles a week

#4 20-03-08 18:37:40

dog
Verified Member

Fair enough. 600 miles per week lets say 108p/litre for petrol and 113.5p/litre for diesel.

These are based on the manufacturers combined efficiency figures remember.

Approximately £61 per week (£793 per quarter) for the petrol 1.2 Corsa @ 107.9p/litre.

Approximately £43 per week (£559 per quarter) for the diesel 1.6 Fiesta @ 113.5p/litre.

That's a weekly saving of £18, quarterly saving of £234, and a yearly saving of £936.

You also have to remember the Fiesta engine is 400cc larger than the Corsa one too.

#5 20-03-08 19:58:12

helee
Verified Member

hmmmm ok this sounds really silly now but my Corsa is a 51 plate with 115k miles on it so I won't be hitting these figures will i?

Also i'm looking at the 1.4 diesel not 1.6

#6 20-03-08 20:04:24

hector
Verified Member
Website

Have I put you off the plus??

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#7 20-03-08 20:06:17

hector
Verified Member
Website

If your thinking of a fiesta for gods sake get the golf plus!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#8 20-03-08 20:09:46

helee
Verified Member

lol we aint all got your money hector lol

I'm a lowly adi thats only been qualified for a year and need to pay off debts etc training cost me 1000s last year lol

I just cant be spending 500/600 on fuel a month!!!

I dunno what to do lease buy what ever its gonna cost what I aint got and I need a new car the corsa is up to 115k now!!!

#9 20-03-08 21:29:23

samds
Verified Member
Website

You also have to consider servicing costs, are diesels more expensive?

Why not lease a diesel car for 7 months and see how you get on.  Robinsons cover all servicing costs in your rental,  a diesel Fiesta would cost £330 per month (4 lessons each week).

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 20-03-08 22:07:40

dog
Verified Member

hmmmm ok this sounds really silly now but my Corsa is a 51 plate with 115k miles on it so I won't be hitting these figures will i?

Also i'm looking at the 1.4 diesel not 1.6

Depending on how well it has been maintained and how it has been driven during its life time, most likely not, but I imagine it shouldn't be too much lower.

#11 20-03-08 22:15:43

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

my first petrol clio with learners driving averaged 30 mpg, most of the driving was learners. my new clio a diesel gives 55.4 under the same conditions. do the math on that - for me its quite a saving  big_smile personally i prefer petrol, the learners prefer diesel and my wallet joins in hasty agreement  big_smile

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 21-03-08 12:41:02

dog
Verified Member

If your thinking of a fiesta for gods sake get the golf plus!

Or get the Polo Bluemotion. 75mpg and free tax.

Board footer