You are not logged in.

#1 17-03-08 10:00:27

Wanadrive
Verified Member
Website

Check Test - TIR - advice please

Firstly, what a good forum - sorry not to have contributed before!

Have read a lot of posts on here about check tests and tried to take on board what's been said. I've got my 3rd check test coming up. Last two times i got 5 - so not too bad. But still very nervous - I know i just don't do well when being watched/observed - "just treat it like a normal lesson" just doesn't work for me!
Anyway I'm now living in a different area to where i was before, the dtc is in a small coastal town. I only have one pupil available for the time of day that the Check test is (8.45) so I have to go with him (role play is out of the question!)
He's a quiet lad, not academically great so Q&A is tough!
He's had about 5 lessons, did well at junctions (seemed a natural) but we've done roundabouts twice and he's not so great. Forgets which lane to go in sometimes and not good at Assessing on approach.
I don't want to focus on roundabouts again, I think he will get demoralised and he is keen to start manoeuvres.
So we plan to do TIR. (I appreciate all the arguments about whether or not to do manoeuvres on checktest, so we'll leave that to one side for the moment)
- My normal procedure which seems best for most pupils is to go to suitable location, teach clutch control (building on previous experience), teach reversing in a straight line (using clutch control), then brief on TIR, do a demo and then get pupil doing it a few times (obviously being flexible and tailoring it to the needs of the individual pupil). Any comments on this?
- In terms of recap at the beginning, should I do a brief recap on roundabouts and then follow a route to deliberately take in some roundabouts on the way to the TIR location?
- I also have a quandary. Bearing in mind this is a small town, the place i find absolutely best in the whole area for the first attempts at TIR is right next to the test centre. I always use this location if i can. If it was a non-check test lesson, I would not get them to drive 50 yards from their house and then brief on TIR but would take a roundabout route to recap on stuff from previous lesson, help them to relax back into driving and then go to the location 50 yards from their house (as long as their neighbours aren't hanging out the window watching them!). So would it be artificial on the test to take a similar roundabout route to get to the road 50 yards from the dtc? or should I use a different location e though it may not be best for the pupil?

17-03-08 10:00:27

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Check Test - TIR - advice please

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 17-03-08 11:38:32

adi
Verified Member
Website

Going by what you say, i would do roundabouts. he's going to have to face them fully at some point.
Also if your only going to go fifty yards to do the TIR the check test will feel like it's going on forever and ever!
Do roundabouts, whether the pupil is a challenge or not the examiner will see his capabilities for himself, you wnat something to get your teeth into and it will help take your mind off the examiner being there.
It will be more interesting for the SE as well. Why drop to a 4 when you could stay a 5 or even move up tp a 6!

#3 17-03-08 11:53:45

Wanadrive
Verified Member
Website

Adi - Thank you for your reply. 
My concern is that we've done roundabouts twice already, and they are improving though not up to scratch. If we do them again, the pupil might get bored/discouraged by going over the same things. If I forgot about the check test, the way i'd deal with this under normal circumstances is move away from roundabouts altogether and come at them afresh in the future!
I'm willing to take your advice on board, but need a bit more time to be convinced! If I did still go with TIR, do you have any other comments?!

#4 17-03-08 12:33:54

gs1974

But that's ideal check test material!!!!!

A pupil who still makes mistakes but isn't completely up to scratch.

Are you going to go over roundabouts again... ever? So why not on the check test? It's broken, so you've got to fix it sooner or later.

#5 17-03-08 13:03:52

adi
Verified Member
Website

I would stay away from a TIR purely because it will be so boring for the SE, it's limited in what you can do to show how good you are. As for roundabouts it should take more than a couple of lessons to get a pupil to be able to do them properly. Your pupil will probably act differently anyway with the examiner in the back and a sense that your a bit nervous too!
Rather than approaching afresh in the future, use a fresh approach to do them for your check test. Compile a list of all the things  you could cover or mention appropriate to roundabouts and go for it. If he can approach a roundabout and get across then great but perhaps see if you can extend his ability to read the roundabout by looking for clues with regards to where people are heading, so he can enter the roundabout with good anticipation. That would make a good lesson and show the pupil has 'learned' and moved forward with his skills.
I wouldn't do a manoeuvre ever for a check test, anything but a manouevre.

#6 17-03-08 13:19:50

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

im doing roundabouts on mine in a few months as it is my first and want something to get going with.

The idea of any lesson is to achieve something doesnt matter if they are not independant by end of lesson in all things but something. Get him to go real slow on approach, prompt him early and give him time to see where he's going.

Start him off on mini roundabouts if poss and work up

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#7 17-03-08 13:49:21

Wanadrive
Verified Member
Website

OK - I think I'm getting the message - maybe I'll dump TIR! I think as well I was getting too focused on a Pt3 -style briefing on a new subject.

#8 17-03-08 17:17:55

FRANKS
Verified Member

why not do TIR and correct R/Bs in same check test

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 17-03-08 17:29:12

Wanadrive
Verified Member
Website

why not do TIR and correct R/Bs in same check test

Hmm - now I'm going round in circles, that's kind of what I was originally planning in my first post!

#10 17-03-08 17:44:09

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

isnt really time is there to do it efficiently a tir from start to finish and hopefully independent is at lest 40 minutes long in my opinion.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#11 17-03-08 20:01:21

samds
Verified Member
Website

I'm puzzled here.

Take a pupil and do what that pupil requires on that day.
If it's roundabouts/junctions do that, if it's a manoeuvre do that.  Why is there such a hang up on this forum about doing a manoeuvre on CT.  People probably score low because they'll be teaching it too early or something else has happened on the drive that's been overlooked.  Route planning bad location etc.

Wanadrive why not go with the roundabouts and maybe straight line reversing as something new to motivate the lad.  Colour it up a bit, reverse in a straight line then he can reverse around a corner (to the right of course).

Captain, out of interest how can you do roundabouts in 3 months when you don't know what pupil will be available or what that paying customer actually needs?

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#12 17-03-08 23:06:46

Wanadrive
Verified Member
Website

Two new questions:

1. Is it correct protocol to leave the pupil in the car in the dtc car park while you meet the examiner, or to take him with you

2. If you're doing a new subject is it best to do a recap at the begiining in the car park, have a warm up drive of 5 - 10 mins, then brief on the subject; or to do a full brief in the car park. John Farlam says the former. Comments please!

#13 18-03-08 07:53:59

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

I do know what pupils i have now and in 2 months will still be there and have never known a pupil who couldnt use a little remedial action on r bouts in slough.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 18-03-08 09:11:41

john55
Verified Member

- In terms of recap at the beginning, should I do a brief recap on roundabouts and then follow a route to deliberately take in some roundabouts on the way to the TIR location?

you mention that your pupil is not great at rounabouts but go on to say that you may do some on the way to the TIR location. surely his weakness will be obvious to the SE and he would probably expect you to change the lesson to take account of that.

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#15 18-03-08 16:58:19

samds
Verified Member
Website

Two new questions:

1. Is it correct protocol to leave the pupil in the car in the dtc car park while you meet the examiner, or to take him with you

2. If you're doing a new subject is it best to do a recap at the begiining in the car park, have a warm up drive of 5 - 10 mins, then brief on the subject; or to do a full brief in the car park. John Farlam says the former. Comments please!

I'd take pupil into TC to meet SE and it depends on what your route looks like just like any other lesson.
Johns template is for a driving lesson which funnily enough is same as check test.

Good luck.

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#16 19-03-08 14:46:51

VandADI
Administrator

Two new questions:

Can I ask, if you have already had two check tests previously and was awarded a grade 5, why are you asking these questions as you would already be familiar with the correct protocol, and be familiar with the whole brief/recap scenario, also with the experience of two check tests, why make this comment

OK - I think I'm getting the message - maybe I'll dump TIR! I think as well I was getting too focused on a Pt3 -style briefing on a new subject.

neutral

#17 19-03-08 16:42:04

Wanadrive
Verified Member
Website

1. Because I have read conflicting advice which made me question what I had done before!

2. Doing manouvres as i had before, I needed to do a briefing. Then considering not doing a manoeure this time has led me to realise i was getting too focused on the briefing

Simple

#18 19-03-08 17:07:51

VandADI
Administrator

1. Because I have read conflicting advice which made me question what I had done before!

2. Doing manouvres as i had before, I needed to do a briefing. Then considering not doing a manoeure this time has led me to realise i was getting too focused on the briefing

Simple

If you are not doing a full briefing on a new subject and decide to cover for example, roundabouts which your pupil has already done, then a full briefing will not be necessary. Do a re-cap by using good Q and A to determine what the pupil knows/understands, find out the pupils concerns and take it from there, after all this is what you do on every lesson, so why would a check test be any different?
If you have time/resources a refresher session with a trainer might be helpful.

#19 19-03-08 18:26:12

gs1974

Why is there such a hang up on this forum about doing a manoeuvre on CT.

It isn't just this forum. It's pretty well accepted that SEs may well get bored of manoeuvre after manoeuvre. Which means doing one risks boring him/her even more.

Doesn't mean you can't do 'em. But when offering advice, it means you can advise against 'em wink

#20 19-03-08 18:48:38

Wanadrive
Verified Member
Website

If you are not doing a full briefing on a new subject and decide to cover for example, roundabouts which your pupil has already done, then a full briefing will not be necessary. Do a re-cap by using good Q and A to determine what the pupil knows/understands, find out the pupils concerns and take it from there, after all this is what you do on every lesson, so why would a check test be any different?
If you have time/resources a refresher session with a trainer might be helpful.

I think we're at cross purposes here - I thnk you're telling me what i've already said!

Incidentally I've discovered the SE here expects whatever briefing is required to be done in the car park and doesn't expect the pupil to be taken into the test centre. That may not be true with all SE's at all Test centres!

Board footer