You are not logged in.

#26 17-03-08 08:33:17

bobbycat
Verified Member

Re: Correct way to set car mirrors

As per usual someone comes on here with a perfectly reasonable question and it degenerates into petty bickering. :x

17-03-08 08:33:17

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 17-03-08 12:29:15

gs1974

Nigel, you still haven't told us what the 'correct' way is after you've spent these last three pages telling everyone else their's is wrong (and leading all learners to believe that if their ADI is doing this then they ought to get another ADI)!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you not agree that using - for example - the door handle to fix the mirror in an appropriate place is fine if it results in a suitably set mirror in a given vehicle?

After you answer 'yes' to that, perhaps you can then explain why you had so much negative input on the matter if you're not just discrediting others. Of course, if the answer is 'no' then perhaps you can provide some decent reasons that take into account everyone else's experience about it being a perfectly suitable method, and which explains to them why they're wrong to do this.

And you do have a somewhat negative input on many subjects, Nige. Just the simple act of replying when there's no valid input can be enough so set yourself up against others. If you think about it, people wouldn't keep accusing you of it if there weren't something in it, now would they?  roll

#28 17-03-08 16:22:57

ExAdiNigel

Well that shows you haven't really been reading what I have been posting then doesn't it? 

I have given reasons why I think it is the wrong way to set the mirror, I have also agreed that it does result in the mirror being set correctly in a Focus.  I have not, in any way whatsoever, suggested that a learner should change instructors if they are taught in this way and resent the implication that I have.

Do you accuse everyone who has a different opinion to yours of being negative?  Why is my opinion negative and yours not?  I have given valid reasons for why I think the way I do on this subject.  I haven't told anyone to change their view, consequently I reserve the right to retain and voice my view!  I have learned so much from the discussions on the various threads on this forum which has resulted in me changing my views.  On this one I have yet to see anything that changes my view though.

You must realise by now, that many things in driving are NOT black & white, there are many shades of grey in between resulting in many different ways of doing the same thing, few of them being wrong.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#29 17-03-08 19:22:47

jem
Verified Member

So let me get this straight.

gs1974.
You highlight when you want to emphasise.

adinigel.

Well that shows you haven't really been reading what I have been posting then doesn't it? 

I have given reasons why I think it is the wrong way to set the mirror, I have also agreed that it does result in the mirror being set correctly in a Focus.  I have not, in any way whatsoever, suggested that a learner should change instructors if they are taught in this way and resent the implication that I have.

Do you accuse everyone who has a different opinion to yours of being negative?  Why is my opinion negative and yours not?  I have given valid reasons for why I think the way I do on this subject.  I haven't told anyone to change their view, consequently I reserve the right to retain and voice my view!  I have learned so much from the discussions on the various threads on this forum which has resulted in me changing my views.  On this one I have yet to see anything that changes my view though.

You must realise by now, that many things in driving are NOT black & white, there are many shades of grey in between resulting in many different ways of doing the same thing, few of them being wrong.

Nigel

You love the use of quote boxes. Then you can attack what the member has posted.

Ekal.
You just like taking the p***. (some of them need bringing down to earth.)

Don't tell me, all 3 of you are trainspotters in your spare time. Don't forget to put your anoraks on or you might catch a cold.  :evil:

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#30 17-03-08 21:02:00

gs1974

I read your first post - which sarcastically asked something along the lines of what purpose the door handles served other than opening the doors. Since then, you've repeatedly tried to dismiss using the door handles to set the mirrors by wilfully assuming people are suggesting showing the entire side of the car when doing it.

What part of this am I not understanding?  roll

If things aren't always black and white, why are you trying to turn something black into white? Why are you accusing others - who haven't said it is the ONLY way - of this? Why didn't you just leave it, seeing as you haven't actually added anything positive (i.e. offered an alternative opinion) about other ways to do it? An 'alternative opinion' isn't just dismissing someone else's.

Are you now acknowledging that using the door handles as a reference point to set mirrors is OK if it works? Are you accepting that there just might be other ADIs out there who do it, and aren't wrong? How much easier it would have been to have just kept out of it and allowed that to have been inferred from the start  roll

#31 18-03-08 05:47:09

ExAdiNigel

adiNigel wrote:

I read your first post - which sarcastically asked something along the lines of what purpose the door handles served other than opening the doors. Since then, you've repeatedly tried to dismiss using the door handles to set the mirrors by wilfully assuming people are suggesting showing the entire side of the car when doing it.

I have?  Where? yikes

What part of this am I not understanding?  roll

If things aren't always black and white, why are you trying to turn something black into white? Why are you accusing others - who haven't said it is the ONLY way - of this? Why didn't you just leave it, seeing as you haven't actually added anything positive (i.e. offered an alternative opinion) about other ways to do it? An 'alternative opinion' isn't just dismissing someone else's.

As I said in my last post, I HAVE given an alternative and I have given reason why I disagree with using the door handles.  That is why I have suggested you haven't actually been reading ALL of my contributions.

Are you now acknowledging that using the door handles as a reference point to set mirrors is OK if it works? Are you accepting that there just might be other ADIs out there who do it, and aren't wrong? How much easier it would have been to have just kept out of it and allowed that to have been inferred from the start  roll

Oh for heaven's sake!  I haven't said using the door handles doesn't work on some cars.  I haven't said that there aren't other ADI's out there who use that method.  As I have said before I HAVE given reasons WHY I don't agree with the method.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#32 18-03-08 08:27:37

VandADI
Administrator

Hey guys calm down! The original poster was asking for help and advice, not to be a witness to a free-for-all  neutral 
Lead by example and help jo rather than hinder  wink  smile

#33 18-03-08 08:31:18

bobbycat
Verified Member

Exactly, i could not agree more.  I for one would post on here more if i did not think that my question might degenerate into point scoring and petty squabling like this one has.

Grow up guys, lets help each other. :x

#34 18-03-08 18:08:22

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Ekal.
You just like taking the p***

Gee Jemima, thats a bit strong :evil:

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#35 18-03-08 18:20:13

jem
Verified Member

jem wrote:

Ekal.
You just like taking the p***

Gee Jemima, thats a bit strong :evil:

Looks like you are the only one of the 3 with a sense of humour. Nice one Ekal.  tongue

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.

Board footer