You are not logged in.

#1 17-03-08 19:50:13

jase
Verified Member

adi part 2 parallel parking help!!!

HI all,

just stumbled across the forum and read some of the post's regarding the part 2 test and it's given me a bit of a confidence boost as well as some great advice on how to handle and condition your mind for it (i know that sounds a bit extreme).
I'm practising for part two at the moment but i seem to be struggling with the parallel park.
Everythings great up until when to add the right lock to bring myself into the kerb.
I'm also struggling to find good locations where it's not too busy or irate residents are giving me evils!!!

I'm so enjoying the course and learning something new every time i go out, like another of the forum members I'm driving some of the test routes to try and help myself and get familiar with the location's etc....

Any help and advice on the parallel park would be most appreciative as I'm so close to nailing it.

i did read in another post that one of the forum members has people tailgating them when they're doing the speed limit, i can't believe how many bad drivers are out there since starting the course.

Anyway great forum and glad to be a member.

cheers for now jase.

17-03-08 19:50:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: adi part 2 parallel parking help!!!

#2 17-03-08 20:00:49

hector
Verified Member
Website

Keep it simple but you need a method-Dont just do it you need to teach it!

Start approx 1 metre away

then use 1-2-1 method.

Level the back of your vehicle with target vehicle and add 1 turn left

Get outside corner in middle passenger window and 1 turn right

Get rear of vehicle half metre from kerb and add 1 turn right (Use inside corner of target vehicle in middle of passenger window as guide)

add 1 turn left to finish paralell with kerb.

Be prepared to vary second turn right as you have another half available.

Ive had all sorts of complicated methods fom PDI's which rarely work- this does!

How come your trainers not telling you this???

Regards Hector

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#3 17-03-08 20:09:42

driverpete
Verified Member

Here's the method I teach:

1. Starting parallel to and about an arm's length out from the target car reverse until your nearside rear wheel is just past the rear of the target car (in my car that's when my passenger's door pillar - I think it's called the B pillar - appears in line with the offside rear corner of the target)
2. 1 - 1½ turns of the steering to the left (amount of turn is not critical)
3. Continue until you are pointing at 45 degrees across the road then remove the turn you put on at stage 2
4. This is the bit that varies between individuals. Look in your nearside door mirror and when the kerb disappears (or just before or just after - it depends how tall you are and how you sit in the car) apply full right lock. At some point the kerb should reappear in your door mirror and you can make any fine adjustments necessary
5. Straighten the wheels

There are as many ways of doing this as there are instructors teaching it so prepare to be spoilt for choice.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 17-03-08 20:25:15

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi tongue

Allow me to throw my hat in to the Arena.  have a look at this Attachment. It is what I give my pupils.

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#5 18-03-08 16:43:52

jase
Verified Member

HI Chaps thanks very much for your reply's just got back long day driving  still trying to chart the test routes for wolverhampton!! (hope it helps in the end!!) .

I will be out bright and early trying these methods out tomorrow i really appreciate the help!!

My tutor has offered a few bit's of advice and it's not too bad when i'm with him it's when i'm by myself practicing.

He has said i'm so close but being really tall i need to define my own ref points, i'm sure it will come together soon.

Cheers guys

jase.

Board footer