You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 02-03-08 20:53:53

ExAdiNigel

Re: me and my horse nearly got hit

....No one has realised the car appeared from BEHIND

Emma made that clear in her first post.  I certainly understood what Emma said and I don't see any evidence of anyone else thinking any different.

he did not see Emma even though she was lit up like a xmas tree.The driver is in the wrong.
Drivers should watch out for horses on the road, especially when approaching bends and on narrow rural roads. They should always slow down when seeing a horse and drive past slowly, giving them plenty of room and being ready to stop if necessary. Drivers should never sound their horn or rev their engine neRiders are seated higher than drivers and often, therefore, have a better view and may be able to see a hazard the driver cannot see. Drivers should look out for signals from horse riders and be ready to slow down or stop as indicated.by the rider in this case Emma.

What is with all this vitriol Chesney?  No-one has said the driver wasn't wrong,  Trouble is, I doubt the driver comes onto this forum and so wont be able to learn from shared experiences.  Emma, I believe, will read the comments made and, hopefully, take them in the way they were intended, why else would she have posted in the first place?

Chesney, what really worries me is your attitude that Sarah should do nothing different if this happened again.  It is no good being blind to how you can protect yourself on the road.  Absolutely no good waking up (if your lucky) in a hospital bed saying 'It wasn't my fault'!  I am still learning and picking up new tips from others on this forum and elsewhere.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

02-03-08 20:53:53

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#27 02-03-08 20:56:41

ExAdiNigel

OMG what is up with you lot?

Vulnerable road user springs to mind - and must be treated with all due care and attention at all costs by all at all times.  No issue.  Whether Emma gave any directions or not: standard common sense comes first: of couse that can be lacking in many I suppose.

Absolutely Karen.  That isn't in question.  A vulnerable user needs to be extra vigilant for their own protection.

Nigel

#28 02-03-08 20:58:02

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

thanks chesney and karen ,DampDog  xx

as dampdog said i was  not asking for advice
i was telling you all what happened i wont bother next time

what are you lot like why do you all start

yes i did  have full control of my horse  as i know what im doing as ive been riding for 23 years . the speed limit was a 40 and i had to go on the road to lane 2  to get past  the road works  as path way was shut .

i did slow the traffic down behind me with my right arm and yes still had full control with my left hand  steering my horse .

so i went on the road as made to as road works   and yes as stated this car was a inch near me and just missed my horse .

my god why am i explaing my self

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

#29 02-03-08 21:39:27

ExAdiNigel

How does the old saying go?

You can take a horse to water..........

Nigel

#30 02-03-08 21:57:08

DrivingEducator

Local newspaper on Friday had a photo of one of the country's top ADI's and pupil and which reported about, amongst other things, how the lad had spent 2 days learning how to deal with horses, riders, livestock, etc.

CPD seminar somewhere in there. Me thinks...............

#31 02-03-08 21:59:21

VandADI
Administrator

Local newspaper on Friday had a photo of one of the country's top ADI's and pupil and which reported about, amongst other things, how the lad had spent 2 days learning how to deal with horses, riders, livestock, etc.

CPD seminar somewhere in there. Me thinks...............

I bet you looked good in the pic though tongue

#32 02-03-08 22:03:14

DrivingEducator

8-) :angel:

#33 03-03-08 11:15:59

littlemissbitch

some drivers are just plain and simply rude end of , or some might not genuinly see you , could of just passed there test ?? and be a bag of nerves themselves , i missed some roadwork's yesterday that my husband saw and i didn't till the last minute , probebly cause they werent there the day before lol , but my mum experiances it most day's as she rides a horse all the time and where she lives she has to go about half a mile up a busy road to get onto a nature trail where all the horseriders go , and she said how she hasnt been killed by some drivers she doesn't know , there that fast they fly round the bend and have neally hit her and other riders several times , the road is a 40mph but after several nasty car accident's including a young mother killed whilst walking her dog , these idiots still go flat out down this road  when will they ever learn ??????

#34 03-03-08 22:06:45

Lynne
Verified Member

I cannot believe all this has been going on while I've not been about.. I will read it all when I get time and put my two pence worth in..how could I not being I am also on the receiving end of all this too.

Glad you're both OK Emm

#35 04-03-08 21:04:55

Lynne
Verified Member

I can totally relate what's happened to Emma.  The same has happened to me more often than once.  Horses may well 'look' at roadworks too (or anything in the road that's different from what's normally there) and as they stare at it wondering whether they'll get eaten (horses are FLIGHT animals not FIGHT) their backs swing out as they partly circumnavigate the scarey thing.

Without getting too technical, sending you all to sleep, riders can use leg aids and 'seat' (our bums) to help keep horses straight.  Reins only steer the front end, aid stopping which is probably all you'll want to know here.  A relatively well schooled horse with competant rider will respond to one hand and proper leg aids but it won't necessarily stop them swinging out if they're 'concerned' (they are living, thinking things themselves. after all)

I have had vehicles so close more than once my horses have practically 'sat' on a car...and still they keep driving forward.  They'd probably give any other road user far more space.  Believe me cars do 'creep up' behind.  Horses that are shod 'clip clop' and if there's more than one of you it's constant noise in your ear.  Of course we look round as much as we can; sometimes you can tell from a horses behaviour something is behind (one of mine will tell me)

Over the years I've developed my own 'positioning' in the road so we're seen earlier, especially if I hear something 'rip roaring' approaching.

I take out a long whip only so I can hold it at right angles when I need to; it keeps the traffic at least 3 feet away else they'll hit it.

I know people don't understand horse psychology.  But it's not too much to ask them to give us space when we ask for it.  (They do after all behave EXTREMELY courtiously when police patrol car is in view so let's not say too much people are that niave.)  I bet they'd give any member of their family space if they were in that situation.  Or a dog if it was out in the road.  We do have to put up with a lot of stupidity and arrogance from drivers when they can get away with it.  Sometimes I feel we're lucky to get back alive.  And that's the way it is out there for us.

#36 04-03-08 21:59:17

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

woow lynne that is a 100 %  brill comment :}

ppl dont give us horse riders a chance  and horses where well here before any cars

em xxx

x emma x

#37 04-03-08 22:20:33

Dimmy

Post edited as I am not an experienced enough  instructor to comment.

#38 04-03-08 22:43:29

Lynne
Verified Member

Yea but i've never seen an old nag that was transformed into a thorough bred horse just by giving it a good rub down with T-Cut ™.

Wanna bet???

[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/TrafficAnswers/Lynne/FordMustang_sign.jpg[/img]

big_smile  big_smile big_smile

#39 05-03-08 00:24:43

alt
Verified Member

[ :Dquote author=Dimmy link=topic=30842.msg222782#msg222782 date=1204669233]
Yea but i've never seen an old nag that was transformed into a thorough bred horse just by giving it a good rub down with T-Cut ™.

Wanna bet???

[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/TrafficAnswers/Lynne/FordMustang_sign.jpg[/img]

big_smile  big_smile big_smile

nice big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

#40 05-03-08 06:54:53

ExAdiNigel

Agree 100% with your post Lynne, but despite the 'clip-clop' another vehicle doesn't suddenly appear from nowhere.  It is OUR observation that protects us from those idiots on the road!

I haven't suggested that Emma was not in control (despite how some interpreted it), but would you not agree that 2 hands are capable of giving MORE control that 1 hand?

Nigel

#41 05-03-08 14:01:02

Lynne
Verified Member

Hey Nige,

Of course a vehicle doesn't appear from 'nowhere' I do appreciate that, but as was said before, we don't have mirrors and it's not possible to check behind as much as we would as drivers unless we exhibited the contortionist traits of Regan from the Exorcist film   :evil:

Drivers also should be observing ....and should observe that we possibly don't know they're there especially if we haven't acknowledged them by turning round /thanking or whatever ...yes yes I know that's another subject altogether!

OK reins!  Of course 2 hands are better than 1.  But as said we do need to ask traffic to hold back occasionally.  Riders will need to weigh up the pros and cons of 1 hand off/asking to stop-slow or 2 hands on and praying harder (especially if we have displayed Regan type tendancies)  neutral

A horse that bolts if it's scared won't be listening to your reins however short they are. We are but nothing to them on their backs.  As said, reins are only part of control and 'brakes'; they're just two pieces of thin leather running from our hands to the bit (you know..the things in their mouths).  Horses on the road more often than not swing their bums out; they need riders' weight/balance and legs to push the back end in again you don't need to have two hands to do that  big_smile

(Who thought riding was squeeze/kick to go forward, pull left and right to turn or pull back on reins to stop)  tongue

#42 05-03-08 21:02:43

kev elliott

(Who thought riding was squeeze/kick to go forward, pull left and right to turn or pull back on reins to stop)  tongue

For anybody who thinks that take a look here
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea … D=28845559

I would still ask as riders what can you do reduce the risk of this happening or to reduce the effects, as drivers what should we do, and as instructors what do you tell your pupils? 

#43 05-03-08 21:30:47

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Amen to u kev.......this is exactly how we should be thinking!
Whether we are drivers/learners/instructors/cyclists/riders/pedestrians/astronauts :?
How can something we experience be used to educate others in surely what we all want  :?
'Safety on the roads'  :?

#44 15-03-08 19:01:15

Josephs Grandad

Dimmy Dimmy Dimmy, I am surprised at your Insulting comments at the OP being a PDI and Chesney's obvious difficulty in becoming an ADI, what a short memory you have considering how many criticisms were aimed at you when you made postings during your own training. Gear ,Brain and Mouth spring to mind. Or are you now SO Superior to us all in your Short career that you can resort to these tactics??

#45 15-03-08 19:14:24

Luchell
Verified Member

I hadn't bothered with this thread, i have my own thoughts which i shall keep to myself. However i just wanted to say you clicked on MY site not Dimmys both our websites are in our signatures. Like i said you read mine.

Reading back through the thread there are several points i highlighted in my mind, one being someone stating there are NO lessons to be learnt by Emma. I do find it disturbing that someone should think its 100 percent the fault of someone else and refuse to review the scenario to see if there was indeed anything that could be learned from the situation and put into action in the future. There's always something to learn, I am sure some of us have picked up on bits on this thread which might help us in the not to distant future.

#46 15-03-08 22:43:45

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

as a PDI in training . I dont know the answer , what would you do in this situation
as it would be good info to find out what you would of done .

EMMA

x emma x

#47 15-03-08 23:00:42

kev elliott

Emma,
I was reading an artcle in the DIA magzine recently that suggested that all incidents should have 5% "blame" attached to the innocent party. This is to encourage all involved to consider what they could have done to reduce or eliminate the incident.  I think it maybe useful here.

Take a while to think how well you coped with the situation and rate yourself from 1 where you just rode out into the middle of the road with no regard for others to 10 where you knew with absolute certainty that the road was empty and that nothing was going to appear from any direction.

Once you have a figure in your head think of one thing that you could do differently that would increase it by 1.

This is then the learning experience that you can take forward and include in your teaching in the future.

If you choose to share yuor thoughts on the forum it would be interesting to see what conclusions you came to- who knows you might even get some constructive feedback smile 

#48 16-03-08 07:58:57

ExAdiNigel

If you choose to share yuor thoughts on the forum it would be interesting to see what conclusions you came to- who knows you might even get some constructive feedback smile

Already tried the constructive feedback bit Kev!  roll  (non-constructive comment! :evil:)

Nigel

Board footer