You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 08-03-08 19:22:34

Chewy20

Emergency Stopped by Instructor :-(

What a lesson....nerves shot!
I've been driving really well recently during my lessons...but today for the first time my driving instructor had to do an emergency stop to stop me going into another car at crossroads.  I'm sooooooo annoyed with myself, although the opposing car was going too fast, but I just don't no how I missed him, just goes to show how easy it is!!  sad
Now I just keep on thinking about it and think I'll become over conscious and hold up everyone...I know you can't be too careful but I just hate the thought of it happening again and think my nerves with driving will be back once I get back into the car!!  It shows that my driving instructor can stop the car if need be, but these things really shouldn't be happening now and have never done before!! I am sooo annoyed and can't stop thinking about it!  :oops:

x~Jill~x
Theory Passed - Q's 49/50 Hp 57/75  (20/02/08)
Practical Passed - 6 Minors (05/06/08)

08-03-08 19:22:34

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Emergency Stopped by Instructor :-(

#2 08-03-08 19:31:38

littlemissbitch

Dont worry everyone makes mistakes and that is why a instructers car has dual control , on my 5th lesson with my adi bearing in mind i had been driving 4 years previous in my own car on L plates , i went round a roundabout that had a give way at the other side i totally missed the give way mark's on the road  and my instructer shouted stop and went to slam on the brake but i got to it in time only because i was going slow, i had never done that before and it made me feel bad at the time  cause i thought Omg what if i had done that in my own car my hubby hasnt got dual control , so honestly don't worry and try not to let it bother you after i did mine my hubby said how did your lesson go today when he came home from work , and i said well i tried to kill the instructer today by not seeing a give way mark on the road and i just laughed it off , certainly made me feel better laughing it off

#3 08-03-08 19:43:55

Luchell
Verified Member

What a lovely car in your avatar there  lol wink

It's not a nice thing to happen but think back to the circumstances. Did you take any observations at all? Could it be that as you were emerging mr boy racer from the left was coming rather fast and was not going a speed in which he could stop his car safely within the distance HE could see to be clear?  Even if he was perhaps he also could have thought about the crossroads he was approaching and that it was blind for those emerging. Thank goodness you were going a speed that you COULD stop your car (if you were going too fast i can't work out how the instructor would be able to have stopped the car in time  wink, next time you will take this learning experience with you and you will be the one who spots the car thats 'sneaks' out of no where, remember as an instructor we are used to looking for that hidden car etc now it's about helping you to put these skills into action.) 

Don't forget about it, use it to your advantage, that's one situation that you can put down as experience. The day i passed my test some 12 year old nearly sat her bum on my bonnet  yikes Sadly my brother tried to get out and chase her but the car was so old if the door had opened i reckon it would have fallen off at the hinges  lol Instead he was making friendly gestures at her as she looked at me stuck her fingers up and rode off  yikes I could have died  neutral

I tell you now i'm so much better around cyclists now, cannot imagine why  lol lol

No ones perfect, we learn from it and off we go  wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 08-03-08 23:19:43

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Luchell wrote:

What a lovely car in your avatar there  lol wink

Looks to me like a Yaris thats put on a few pounds big_smile big_smile

Seriously though, as Hayley says you will learn and be a better driver as a result of this.

Probably use dual controls every third lesson, so don't feel bad.

sophie

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#5 08-03-08 23:41:45

Luchell
Verified Member

Yes Chewy will, shes my pupil  smile smile

No no its not a yaris, its a swift Jill has been eyeing up at the local tescos  lol I do like it in black i must admit.

I remember only too well finishing some driving lessons elated and others almost in tears, my instructor was fab but i used to be so hard on myself! Mistakes allow us to learn from them and in doing so become a more competent driver.

When we are learning any new skill theres no way we would get things right all the time, what matters is how we use those situations to our advantage. I love to get my pupils into as many situations as possible so they gain that little extra experience which will always stand them in good stead for the future.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 09-03-08 00:09:47

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Dont worry everyone makes mistakes and that is why an instructors car has dual control...

That just about sums it up. Over the 12 years I've been instructing there were very few students that I did not have to dual at least once.

Off topic a bit - Swifts do look best in a dark colour especially black, I think they look less "boxy". When I replace my Corolla I might get a Swift in dark grey. Black is not really a suitable colour in our hot climate.

When I first saw a Swift I was aghast - a weird, ugly, awkward, boxy shape , I thought - who would want to drive one of them?  No way would you see ME in one, especially training!
But, they are a hot seller down here and the body design has grown on me, probably helped by the general trend in tall, high-waisted designs of most other small cars. When I pull alongside my ADI mate (me in my old Corolla, he in his Swift), it's amazing how much taller the Swift is, I really have to look up to him.
I want to be looked up to too!   big_smile

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#7 09-03-08 12:43:47

Chewy20

Thanks peeps!! I am sure I will use the experience to my advantage...although its just the initial shock of it that I need to get over!!  The more I think about it, the more I realise that its part of learning and it will help me to start to think more&more outside of the car and what everyone around me is doing!  Although it does make you stop and think gosh can I really do this because it shakes you up for a bit but its situations like these that show you what you will be faced with and what you need to be aware of and how to be prepared for these in regards to your actions on the road.  I know consideration for other road users, pedestrians etc, is essential but I've realised that everyone else out there seems to have forgetten this, I really hope that the situations I am faced with when learning will help me to be considerate when I am out there on my own and in the future! I will definately not get up a learner cars bottom for sure, lol!!

I have seen quite a few Swifts around lately in all different colours, havent seen the dark red yet though, which looks quite nice on the website...not really liking the new Suzuki Splash though, its a funny shape, although it might grow on me!  Although I'm loving learning to drive in a swift and would love one, you never know by the time I am ready to get a nice car, something else might attract my attention! But for now...swifts look stylish, although not in Orange!! lol!

x~Jill~x

#8 09-03-08 13:46:08

littlemissbitch

Try and think of it aswell in a way that well at least i did it with the adi with me and they stopped the car , hopefully now you have done it you will never do it again ,  think of how many accident's happen every day by experienced driver's , even the best driver's can do silly thing's that have been driving year's

#9 10-03-08 19:24:47

Chewy20

Try and think of it aswell in a way that well at least i did it with the adi with me and they stopped the car , hopefully now you have done it you will never do it again ,  think of how many accident's happen every day by experienced driver's , even the best driver's can do silly thing's that have been driving year's

Definately agree with you there littlemissbitch, we all make mistakes, we wouldn't be human if we didn't!

Yes I am glad that my I am going through these experiences with my instructor, who definitely can stop that car if she wants!   

Thanks for your comments

x~Jill~x

#10 10-03-08 21:06:44

Dimmy

Hey Chewy don't worry about Luchell using her duals on you,, She uses them on me from time to time too, and I'm a bloomin instructor.  (and a far better driver than she is, but don't tell her I said so).

I say, make her work for her living, she sits there next to you all lesson, expecting you to chauffeur her around all those lovely country roads just so she can talk non stop (she does that at home too sometimes). I say make her use her duals occasionally, even if its only because she tends to stop chatting when she does.

All instructors use the duals, usually more so when introducing new topics as the client (thats you) is often thinking about a million things and concentration can lapse a little,  or something occurs that you may not reasonably expect to happen.
I'm sure luchell simply explained why she used them, what you could have done differently and guided you as to how to do it safely and correctly.

Whenever she gives me a backhander, she always explains why she did, what i should have done, and gives me advice on how I can avoid getting a slap in the future.
Odd thing is, I don;t seem to learn my lesson very quickly as i the slaps keep coming.

P.S.  i am soooooooo glad I'm not home right now.   :evil:

#11 11-03-08 09:16:36

Chewy20

Hi Dimmy,
I think I have to be careful where I tread here, lol.  I could indeed make her work for her living but I'm not that cruel, it annoys me when I do things wrong, even though yes you are right she did explain the situation, but don't think her car would of been here if she hadnt stopped it! But we did talk about how to approach situations like that for the future - definitely going to creep a lot slower outta those blind junctions and have that brake ready, because now I know that there are silly people out there who I think still get the acceleration pedal mixed up with the brake lol! Thanks for the tip to stop her talking though lol, I think she gets the silent treatment from me anyway when I am trying to concentrate!  lol  I try to listen most of the time, but sometimes I must admit I completely forget what we are talking about because I am thinking about what needs to be done...brakes,gear, mirrors....ahhh!! 

Although I think I might try and listen more because I don't want to be slapped!! lol  I listen to the instructions  big_smile and advice though!!

Hope you don't get slapped to hard but thanks for the tips!! hehe Take it easy!

x~Jill~x

#12 11-03-08 15:34:09

Luchell
Verified Member

I would probably slap him anyhow regardless of his posts Chewy (I just use the posts as a get out clause )  lol 

The same car/driver almost took the side of my swift out on a roundabout in town last night on a lesson an all   roll I can't see him learning anything. I'm going to hunt his car down and put a business card on the windscreen so he can have a lesson on observation and approach speed to hazards   roll

#13 11-03-08 15:35:52

Luchell
Verified Member

By the way, yes i dualled him, i verballed him about 4 times as he got closer and closer to pushing the car infront of us off the boat we drove onto, he wouldn't stop so i stopped him  lol Needless to say that went down well for the rest of the evening   roll lol  tongue

#14 11-03-08 16:40:50

Dimmy

Especially as I'd just treated you to an ice cream.

Do I have permission to say that the "boat" was in fact a car ferry and cars need to be bumpr to bumper otherwise the bow gates dont close and the occupants of the last car on usually swim the trip.

#15 11-03-08 17:40:04

VandADI
Administrator

, i verballed him about 4 times

Is that a bit like being blackballed?  tongue

#16 11-03-08 17:48:50

Dimmy

there were some pretty dark bruises,  yes.

#17 11-03-08 17:50:48

Chewy20

I think I am a bit lost! lol Hayley did you say that the same car that we had to stop for the other day nearly got ya again at a roundabout?
If so...That's not good to hear, poor swift is having a tough time with this driver/car! Hopefully the police will catch up with him at some point and warn him of his behaviour!  His inconsiderate behaviour hopefully will backfire on him sooner or later and he will have to have lessons on obs and hazards because of all the bad habits he has gained.

How to people like him manage to pass their driving tests in the first place?  Perhaps they get lucky on the day! They are capable of driving considerately they just never do!  We all gain bad habits whilst driving but most (lol) of us use our initiative with regards hazards, especially with the amount of people on today's roads!!

x~Jill~x

#18 11-03-08 18:06:39

Chewy20

Lol regarding the bumper to bumper boat business!! Tarmac and types went out the window then!! lol
Think you could of probably done with the ice-cream after the bruising!

I can imagine your discussions for the rest of the evening!

x~Jill~x

#19 11-03-08 18:17:13

Luchell
Verified Member

He bought me the icecream whilst we que'd up for the boat lol  lol

Sod the tyres and tarmac all i wanted was to not go swimming with the driver of the car infront  lol

He's always been a better 'vehicle judge than me   roll Any oppurtunity to have me gritting my teeth and shouting STOP!!!!!!  is used to it's largest potential. I got told that when i was parking in london Dimmy ha never seen someone hog a parking space so much  lol It doesn't matter here but it does there! So i thought i need to learn to judge my vehicle size better.

Anyhows we helped my parents move and the only place to put my fully signed car was down the road by his. I was very firm with myself determined to actual use the gap availble and realised that clearly my judgement on my cars length was out. Well i got to where i would normally stop, parellel parking in  in front of his car and thought come on i'm bound to have a foot or so left, i'm imagining that theres no room. So a little further back... CRUNCH Oops straight into Dimmys front bumper on his tuition car!! I quickly checked no one saw me (in MY car thats signed, talk bout embarassing lol) and proceeded quickly to dash off round the corner and park in the middle of no where. Checked my car, no damage thankfully, walked into mums and was already waiting to tell my story should he notice any damage to the front bumper.

I was going to say 'oh how awful fancy doing that then driving off!!!' He didn't mention anything and i forgot about it only to notice a crack in his bumper a few weeks later that was already there ( really it was!    lol ) Thats when i remember and came clean  lol Oh i did laugh and from now on im going on my judgement  lol lol

Yes the same nutter! I heard his exhaust before i saw him  lol lol

Sadly when some people pass the test no one else matters that much and 'safe' driving goes out the window for the 'i want to look good for my friends' mentality'   roll

#20 11-03-08 18:36:45

VandADI
Administrator

there were some pretty dark bruises,  yes.

About 4 of them, I would say  tongue

#21 11-03-08 20:53:36

Dimmy

Theres something about that house of your parents. 1st YOU smash into it without any care for life nor limb (too busy ogling the removal guys, at a guess) and a couple of weeks later numpty neighbour with 4x4 parks his landy in the front bumper of my new car.

Or maybe its just you field dwellers have no concept of vehicle sizes, seeing as you all park an acre apart.
by the way,  my neighbours could have got 3 cars into the gap you demanded to dominate and still have had room hitch a trailer to each.

::::flee::::

#22 12-03-08 12:31:14

Luchell
Verified Member

roll Did you not see the removal guys?? None of them were to my taste so i shouldn't worry  lol tongue

I'm just glad the numpty neighbour hit your car not mine  lol 

Board footer