You are not logged in.

#1 03-03-08 16:59:12

russellgarner
Verified Member

New Business

Hi all,

Just starting out, and would like to know how you went about getting new business, and what you have found works the best, how long it took to get things moving ( I know a lot depends on your location)

Internet
local papers
yell.com
special offers you do, etc

Thanks
Russ

03-03-08 16:59:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: New Business

#2 03-03-08 17:52:30

AndyBerry

I've noticed so far that most of my clients come from the school I'm with, but when asked, they've found them like this:
yellow pages, internet or seen the car about and rung up to find out prices etc. I also get a fair few referrals from my current pupils (e.g pupils who's mate's are learning and not making much progress) and so on

Andy

#3 03-03-08 17:56:27

driverpete
Verified Member

Best thing by far for me was a website, roofsign (mobile advertising) and for starters it might be worth looking at a part time franchise with a local school. That'll get you something to be going on with until the personal recommendations start coming in. It took me a good 18 months to get where I wanted to be but now I'm picking the pupils I want.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#4 04-03-08 20:54:42

russellgarner
Verified Member

Thanks for the replies, Now I know I have only just started using this forum for the last month, but I was hoping for a few more replies,

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 04-03-08 20:59:37

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Try doing a 'search' on the main forum page, read through similar posts to yours, lots of advice/suggestions there  smile 

#6 04-03-08 22:01:17

Target
Verified Member
Website

Dont bother with expensive advertisements. Have a look at the Tesco post. £500 for some cheap tatty business cards. No thanks.

Do it cheap do it yourself. You need alot of luck in this job, so if you work hard you create more luck and so on.

Where would you look for driving lessons?, where did you find your trainer?.....Id say theres a good start.

Its taken me nearly 5 years to get where I am now, and im getting closer to earning that £30k everyone talks about. wink

I started with a franchise but your not earn any money. Whats the difference. Most franchises goes up in price, over the last 2 years Ive managed to drop my costs year on year. If you do not get any work your stuffed.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#7 04-03-08 22:40:09

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi All

It took time to build my business but the best advice I was given was this statement. " Why should Joe Bloggs come to you? What do you offer that is special to him / her? "

Consider who are your customers where would they look when they want your product. What do they want. What is a fair price from there piont of view.

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#8 04-03-08 22:49:26

copsecavaliers
Verified Member
Website

Hi Tony,

I know its off track but did you see C4 tonight about Boston? you can PM me if you wish to reply!

Alex

#9 05-03-08 22:59:03

samds
Verified Member
Website

Hi Russ

From my experience

Yell.com and Yellow Pages was a waste of money.  I spent around £1500 in 1 year and it did not pay off.
That said Yell.com now has pay per click advertising which looks interesting.

Local Papers again didn't pay off.

Special offers created a quick fix but tended to bring in people who couldn't really afford full price.

This is what I did to get going.

Joined BSM to build up a customer base.
Setup a website for going solo and used Google adwords, worked on page rankings.
My brother got me 10000 leaflets thru contacts (they're still in a box never needed them)
Spent £1700 on Yell.com - Yellow Pages - Thomson Directories -WASTE of time and £1700!
Roof box only.

In the beginning best thing I ever did was join a franchise, website and Google.  These days my referall work is topped up by website.
I now invest in CPD (£700 last year) to better my game and it works far better than worthless adverts.

Here's a few links to help you get going.

Printers http://www.everydayprint.co.uk/
Website/hosting http://www.cheapdomains.uk.com/
John Farlam http://www.smartdriving.co.uk You'll find lots of information on developing your business.
0845/0800 numbers http://www.uk2numbers.co.uk/
Odds & Ends http://www.rcmmarketing.co.uk/
Cars http://www.drivingschoolcontracthire.co.uk/ Call Ady tell him Scott sent you. LOL

Good luck.

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#10 07-03-08 17:45:25

russellgarner
Verified Member

many thanks For all your replies

Russ

Board footer