You are not logged in.

#1 02-08-07 13:54:25

infectedcat

Do you get confused by directions from your instructor

iv noticed that im crap at following directions from my driving instructor.

if your not clear on a direction you have been asked to take by the examiner is it ok for me to re ask him do you mean this right (slightly pointing to that right)????

02-08-07 13:54:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Do you get confused by directions from your instructor

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 02-08-07 14:10:21

ams
Verified Member

if your not clear on a direction you have been asked to take by the examiner is it ok for me to re ask him do you mean this right (slightly pointing to that right)????

It is perfectly acceptable for you to ask for the directions to be repeated. The most important thing to remember, is don't do anything rash because your not sure what or where you should be going. It's perfectly ok to turn left (provided that you have done everything correct for turning left, eg Mirrors, Signal etc) even if the examiner had asked you turn right. Misunderstanding a request isn't a fault - its just annoying to the examiner who's now got to get you back on route!

Qualified Oct 2001 - 1st Attempt 5/4.
Cardington Grade A.
Institute of Advanced Motorists.
NVQ A1 Assessors Award.
ORDIT registered parts 1, 2 & 3.
Grade 6 - April 07

#3 04-02-08 13:43:50

jackie99100

I am always confused when my instructor says turn left i go to turn right tongue i have no idea why i do this as like you i do know my left from my right, but it would be wise to ask if your not sure what he means.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 04-02-08 16:06:08

dog
Verified Member

I am always confused when my instructor says turn left i go to turn right tongue

I did that on my test the examiner said turn left but I went straight on...luckily didn't get any faults for it!

#5 04-02-08 16:37:29

driverpete
Verified Member

If you tell the examiner you have trouble with left and right he'll point if it helps. I do it all the time with soime of my pupils.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#6 04-02-08 20:11:18

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

Its a driving test, not a navigational ability test. If asked to turn right, and you correctly mirror,signal and turn left there is no fault. Examiners are very user friendly. If you don't hear or understand anything ask him to repeat it and he will. When is your test ?

#7 04-02-08 21:32:05

ExAdiNigel

F***ing Hell, I thought. yikes  the one with the infected pussy has finally admitted she is crap at something.  big_smile But then I thought, if it came down to it she would probably blame the instructor for giving crap directions! :x

Nigel big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#8 04-02-08 22:49:02

la.monikita
Verified Member

F***ing Hell, I thought. yikes  the one with the infected pussy has finally admitted she is crap at something.  big_smile But then I thought, if it came down to it she would probably blame the instructor for giving crap directions! :x
Nigel big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

do you know how this sounds rolf pmsl, have you been drinking Nigel?

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#9 05-02-08 07:18:58

pj
Verified Member

Its a driving test, not a navigational ability test. If asked to turn right, and you correctly mirror,signal and turn left there is no fault. Examiners are very user friendly. If you don't hear or understand anything ask him to repeat it and he will. When is your test ?

Just to clarify what Jonsmithuk means coz I was a bit confused when I first read it, if the DE asks you to turn right and you check mirrors, signal left and turn left then no fault is committed , you have just take the DE off route. If the DE asks you to turn right and you check mirrors, signal right and then turn left then that is a fault as you are not doing what you have said you were going to do and could be potentially dangerous.

Hope you don't mind Jon , I know what you meant but some of the learners seeing this might not wink

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#10 05-02-08 15:21:36

Super Mario

I have a problem with in and out.  If my instructor asks me to turn a switch away from me then I turn it the opposite way and same with the steering which meant once he had to grab the wheel.  I do know what in and out is except when I'm stressed and nervous.

#11 05-02-08 20:15:30

ExAdiNigel

I have a problem with in and out.

What about shaking it all about?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#12 05-02-08 20:26:19

Tracey89

Hey all i know my left and right quite well but thats because I have no hearing in my right ear and modarate in my left so i can work out which way to go!!
Also my ADI has L and R stuck on the bit where the speedo is which helps.

XxTJxX

xX.:Can we bring yesterday back around coz I know how I feel about you now....:.xX

*Theory Tessed passed on 20/06/08 - Questions: 48/50 & H&P: 51/75*

#13 06-02-08 07:30:13

may
Verified Member

I get my left & right mixed up and it makes for some interesting lessons!

i do it more when i'm thinking "we'll go right then i think no left will be better" then i say my right!! I have to have enough time sometimes for my brain to catch up and even then it still tries to ruin everything for me big_smile

Some of my instruction is "that road over there where the red car is" as i point with my right hand, its awful, it does really show when i do manouveres and start saying steer to me to you and sound like a chuckle brother!!

Mind this "problem" relaxes the ones who do have a problem with left and right and nearly all my pupils think its funny to have an instructor who has directional issues.

#14 06-02-08 07:36:29

WDT

Whilst the examiner MAY try to point if you have trouble, they are not obliged to, so don't rely on it.

Try this: Most people are right handed, so if you are, when the instruction is to turn right, turn towards the hand that you WRITE with. What is left, is left!

#15 09-02-08 22:22:50

wolfchild08

Yeh i occassionalley have this problem, I just ask him to repeat the instruction.  Many times, for example,  ive asked him if he meant the second or third right or park next to the first or second car for a parallel park.  I think theres an element of pressure when your driving where your trying to take everything on board at the same time - what your instructer is saying, what your hands and feet are doing etc.  So its easy to either dismiss what he/she has told you or misunderstand what they have said.  Im sure its perfectly normal and they are used to it, nothing to worry about  big_smile

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

#16 07-03-08 12:54:03

loulou

I am constantly trying to understand directions. How can I be checking my mirrors, observing other cars, changing gear, indicating plus working out what direction or position to point the car in. It's manic, I think half the time I dont crash by chance! (prob shouldnt say that but...)

#17 07-03-08 16:09:46

email@passwithjohn.co.uk
Verified Member
Website

Confusion over driving directions is not something to be overly concerned about, if you don't understand or have any doubts then ask the examiner to repeat it.  As long as you demonstrate the correct driving procedures when manoeuvring you will be fine.  That said don't be a complete doughnut and ask him/her to repeat everything.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!

Approved Driving Instructor
www.passwithjohn.co.uk/drivinglessonsstockport.html
www.passwithjohn.co.uk/blog

Board footer